SCHOOL is OPENING...

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: SCHOOL is OPENING...

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:45 am

Flipper wrote:but hey...you want to put … faith in the … experts...you go right ahead.

Fixed it for you.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby Flipper » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:19 am

Right...because experts should never face any questions or scrutiny. we should just appoint them as our Gods and let them have their way. What are you...eight?
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Falconwriter » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:03 pm

Flipper wrote:
Falconwriter wrote:
Flipper wrote:70% of the positive MLB tests were asymptomatic...70%....that supports the notion that the virus isn't nearly as deadly as early models suggested

Or...more likely, the virus has mutated to a less deadly strain. Another possibility is that there are several strains (very closely related per DNA) circulating where one is more deadly than the others. This would not be unusual. Early models were just that...guesses based on best evidence at the time. We are a nation of Monday morning quarterbacks when it comes to just about any issue.

Fact: we knew NOTHING about this virus in January. NOTHING. It has taken months of study to get us to this point. To apply judgments with today's knowledge on past actions is disingenuous at best...outright lying at worst. I'm not accusing you of the latter, just making a point that those with an agenda are quick to gloss over the fact that this was an entirely new virus with no history. And the first such virus to go worldwide in more than 100 years. How about we keep the finger-pointing to a minimum.

Not really finger pointing...but I do think there should be a discussion about how the numbers are compiled and reported. I'm not a physician...took a lot of senior level bio and biochem classes...but I'm not a medical professional. I do have 30 years in financial services...pulling apart earnings reports and policy contracts for that long has made me sensitive to how the numbers can be manipulated by people with an agenda (in this case the media. ).

Saw a chart online not long ago about transmission rates of known Covid viruses in the past. They peak in the late winter, go way down in the summer and they bounce back a bit in the fall into the early winter. I would hope that we could learn form the mistakes...however well intentioned...that were made so we can offer more help to those at risk and do less financial and psychological damage to those who aren't

Not all corona viruses are created equal...and since this is an unknown version. there's no way to know, in advance, whether it will follow the same pattern of petering out in summer and coming back in winter. In today's news, Gov. DeWine noted that the transmission rate of the virus had fallen to about .88 (below one to one) which can be a sign that social distancing and other methods have been very effective and/or the virus is weaker for the reasons you noted (seasonal) or because of mutation. In either case, so long as it stays below 1 to 1, you are unlikely to see any more measures to button things up. If it should suddenly start to rise and go above 1, I'm betting there will be some more restrictions put back in place that had been loosened. Fingers crossed.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:16 pm

Flipper wrote:Again...I'm asking logical questions re information that is not disseminated..information that would definitely have an impact on the importance of the headline numbers. Your response..."but experts" is actually not a response...it's a mantra

I question pretty much everything nowadays. Especially "experts" that are politically motivated. And I'm not just talking about R vs D politics. These so called "experts" need funding. Easiest way to get it is having an answer to a "crisis."
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:47 pm

I have a huge level of distrust towards the media. Most of what you see today is driven...if not certainly colored by..an agenda, be it political or commercial. It seems people no longer go into journalism to tell the truth, they go into it to tell their truth.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby roguewarrior » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:53 pm

Flipper wrote:I have a huge level of distrust towards the media. Most of what you see today is driven...if not certainly colored by..an agenda, be it political or commercial. It seems people no longer go into journalism to tell the truth, they go into it to tell their truth.

Preach. Well said.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Previous

Return to Football