@ CMU (2/4)

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

@ CMU (2/4)

Postby mbenecke » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:11 am

Following Friday’s 78-77 victory at Buffalo, our Falcons (17-5, 8-1) have another big one on the road as they take on the Central Michigan Chippewas (12-8, 5-2) on Tuesday, February 4th at 7:00pm. This game will be available to stream on ESPN+.

CMU is one of the better teams in the MAC West this year, and we only get to play them once. That said, it’s a road game, and that makes this one even tougher. It’s a huge opportunity to go on the road to make a statement, and I hope our guys do just that.

Let’s get it. Beat CMU. Go Falcons!
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: @ CMU (2/4)

Postby Matty B » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:53 am

This will be a battle. CMU is very tough at home with only 1 loss all year (Buffalo). Dileo and McKay are 2 guys who always give us fits. Those 2 seem like they've been at CMU for so long that im pretty sure Anthony Stacey played against them.

Anyway, hoping to still be riding a win streak in front of a packed house Saturday.
LONG LIVE THE MONGOOSE!!
Matty B
Chick
Chick

Postby Uncle Tommy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:00 am

Chips only favored by 1.5 tonight. i would have guessed a bit higher. Regardless, BG has their work cut out for them tonight. But if they play like they did last Friday they can win. They need to get out of the box better.
Uncle Tommy
Egg
Egg

Postby mbenecke » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:10 pm

I anticipate a tough one tonight. I just hope the guys aren't looking too far ahead.

I have class until 7:30 tonight in BG and then I have to drive home after, so I won't be able to physically watch the game or provide updates until there are roughly 12ish minutes left. I am planning to follow along on the radio for my drive, though - Todd Walker is excellent.

Looking forward to this challenge tonight.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:47 pm

Good Lord did they kick our asses that half. They shot out of their minds, whether we had decent defense or not didn't matter... It all went in.

We didn't match their level of intensity at all, and down 13 at half. Really wish we'd quit playing this way
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby mbenecke » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:39 pm

Too many turnovers, not enough stops. Story of the night. Whistles weren't helping either.

I smell a bounce back on Saturday...
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:41 pm

Also, CMU just couldn't miss tonight. Like, nobody would have beaten them this evening. This isn't their normal, but that's what we ran into tonight.

Still comfortably first in the MAC. Weird results elsewhere tonight make me feel alright.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BleedOrange » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:44 pm

Our shot selection was poor, especially from Frye. Also, we didn't dig in defemse or go to the boards hard enough.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby mbenecke » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:47 pm

And even when we did defend, they couldn't miss. They made 12 threes and 24 free throws.

Just not our night. It happens. On to the next.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:54 pm

Turner played wonderfully. We didn't get enough from anybody else. We were a beat slow defensively all night, which is why Mattos, Frye, Fields, and Plowden had foul issues throughout most of the game. When we did defend they absolutely couldn't miss, but we didn't defend nearly enough.

When they shoot like that they're pretty tough to beat, no doubt, but that's when you gotta get in their s**t and make them work. We didn't do that nearly enough.

And we just didn't have enough offense outside of Turner. Way too many 2-3 minute spurts where we couldn't make a single basket. Can't have all those spurts against a team that isn't missing. If you wanna win in March you have to find a way to match the other team if they've having a crazy hot shooting night.

Was gonna be a tough game, no matter what, but disappointing that we could never really get it closer than 8 points at any meaningful moment. On to the next.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Class of 61 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:02 pm

Didn’t see the game, but followed live stats... BG,s stats from field, line etc. sure looked like enough to win most games. 9 pt diff. At line became crucial.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:15 pm

Weird night in the MAC.

Eastern Michigan topped Buffalo, NIU beat Toledo, Ball State beat Kent State.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BleedOrange » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:29 pm

I thought we looked a little tired out there. Defensive lapses, fouls,played soft, bonehead turnovers. Is just me?
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby Globetrotter » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:15 pm

BleedOrange wrote:I thought we looked a little tired out there. Defensive lapses, fouls,played soft, bonehead turnovers. Is just me?

I am getting more and more convinced that these are just Micheal Huger teams. He isn't a great coach, he's just ok. We could do a lot worse but he will never take us beyond this.

Low intensity
Bad Defense (We constantly have other teams shooting the lights out on us)
Offense lives or dies by the three
Don't dictate anything to anyone.

I think a good coach gets that guy who can't miss for three in foul trouble. We have 2 giant bros that he would have to cover. Pound the ball to them both until he gets into foul trouble.

We also seemed to just give up with 3 minutes to go.

Mike Huger is the Andy Dalton of Basketball coaches.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby Globetrotter » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:38 pm

Just some notes

Swingle hasn't played the last two games. I had been told they were super excited about getting him.

The guy who just passed Reimold for most threes in BG history....is shooting 31% from 3 good for 8th on the team.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Next

Return to Men's Hoops