2020 schedule changes to come?

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: 2020 schedule changes to come?

Postby MarkL » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:36 pm

So if NIU decided to cancel, there is an interesting option. The conference could do a round robin schedule with everyone playing 10 conference games plus up to two non confs. And if another program cancels (looking at you, EMU), round robin seems the most reasonable option.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:06 pm

Pete Thamel tweeted that the MAC basically can't guarantee player safety and there's a growing possibility of opt-outs from big name players. Additionally, the MAC doesn't want to postpone because of the optics and politics, along with exposing their players to the potential to transfer to other schools who will be playing.

It's not hyperbolic to say that MAC football is hanging in the balance right now.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:26 pm

I’m sick over the season in balance. Angered by the hysterics. Can’t imagine the anguish of parents/players of HS seniors now, who need a good senior season to validate an offer-turn it into a take offer. We will look back in a few years and say why did we do that!!? I hope the MAC stands tall.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby jpfalcon09 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:29 pm

roguewarrior wrote:I’m sick over the season in balance. Angered by the hysterics. Can’t imagine the anguish of parents/players of HS seniors now, who need a good senior season to validate an offer-turn it into a take offer. We will look back in a few years and say why did we do that!!? I hope the MAC stands tall.

There's a sense that NIU is pulling the plug tomorrow which will put the MAC in a precarious position.
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:01 pm

That is done, from what I have heard. One more bails, and we are finished. So soft.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby MarkL » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:57 pm

So let's say NIU cancels the season. And let's also say EMU follows suit given approximation to covid hotzone Detroit. Why not go forward with a ten team divisionless conference? Even if others choose to cancel, I would think as small as a seven team conference could hold a fine season for an odd year of football. Someone will still win a championship, players will still get to play the game they love after a year of hard work and practice, the stadiums will still have people in attendance. I'm having a hard time seeing why one more program shutting for the year should sink the 2020 season for the entire conference.

The only reason I see why the conference should cancel over a few programs not playing is for competitive edge. Presumably NIU 2020 seniors would get eligibility in 2021 therefore giving them an edge. I'm sure a solution can be worked out, such as giving everyone, even those who play this year, a freebie redshirt year. Unusual circumstances, unusual solutions.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:03 am

The conference cancels if the presidents decide they want to stand together to avoid standing alone. Ultimately 4 of the schools could run a modified schedule but if the season is cancelled for all I think that tells you everyone’s opinion.

The nice thing for college football the players can stretch their careers. Others sports without full scholarships it is less likely. And high school kids have no options.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:22 am

MAC has pulled the plug. See ya in 2021...maybe.
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:31 am

That's a BIG BIG BIG maybe.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:50 am

All eyes turn to the transfer portal now. MAC is going to get raided.
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:55 am

Was talking to a couple media people about this who think it’s a potentially huge move for the MAC financially to play in the spring. A higher chance of fan attendance with zero competition, a more lucrative one year tv contract a la South Korean baseball, and better exposure to scouts for players that will allow their football skills to be fresher in the minds as draft and free agency time rolls around. This is assuming other leagues don’t follow suit, obviously, and even then it’s purely speculative.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:59 am

Where are the funds going to come from for that? They don't have money now, what will it be like in 7 months? I mean if this was anything but athletics, more massive cuts would have already happened. Any other branch of the University that couldn't even function, much less one that did nothing but lose money, would be addressed immediately.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:06 am

guest44 wrote:Where are the funds going to come from for that? They don't have money now, what will it be like in 7 months? I mean if this was anything but athletics, more massive cuts would have already happened. Any other branch of the University that couldn't even function, much less one that did nothing but lose money, would be addressed immediately.

I could be wrong here, but I believe most athletic departments plan a full year in advance for costs. Those games with the Ohio States help pay for *next* year, so financially they should be able to get through this year, and if spring ball works out, it could help balance things for the following year. If there is no ball at all this year, then it would be time to worry about the big cuts for next season. Again, I could be wrong because it might vary for every department.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:16 am

https://www.bgsu.edu/content/dam/BGSU/f ... ummary.pdf

Here is the approved budget. it's with all the best case scenario options cooked in when approved back in June. Somehow, they approved a budget just 1.5 million less than the previous year in the middle of a pandemic. Did a single trustee even look at it?
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:25 pm

Only way this decision works out if every conference postpones. If every other league some how plays their in the Fall, no bowl money, who knows what ESPN will do with tv money. Spring season will be lower divisions,FCS and MAC.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

PreviousNext

Return to Football