Elimination of baseball's impact on football

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Elimination of baseball's impact on football

Postby drumstix2388 » Fri May 15, 2020 3:40 pm

It seems as though the baseball players weren't even notified before it was announced, which it seems from social media has upset the family of Levi Gazarek. I wouldn't be surprised if he chose to play elsewhere if he still has a dual sport option. Were there any other players who currently or were planning to play both?
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Elimination of baseball's impact on football

Postby Falconwriter » Fri May 15, 2020 3:47 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:It seems as though the baseball players weren't even notified before it was announced, which it seems from social media has upset the family of Levi Gazarek. I wouldn't be surprised if he chose to play elsewhere if he still has a dual sport option. Were there any other players who currently or were planning to play both?

I posted this in the baseball area of AZZ: I am an alum and donor who created a baseball specific scholarship three years ago to honor a family member who had passed away. Do you know how I found out about this today? I was forwarded the same announcement that was given to the media via email. No phone call, no heads up of any kind...not even a personal call from someone in the athletic department.

I'm pissed.

The money I used to seed the scholarship to this point has to go somewhere, but I have no idea where. Again, no communication. But all this has done, for me, is convince me that no further donations will be forthcoming. I'd had a legacy type of bequest coming when I passed away to bolster that scholarship...obviously that won't be happening.

This was not handled very well (the decision itself, which I think is a bad one, aside).
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Sun May 17, 2020 10:40 am

I understand the anger . The anger should be directed at our “leaders” for over-reacting and decimating everything we know, including BG sports. If I had to make the cut, it might be better to just do it, rather than a having a hundred circular discussions..... sucks. The blame lies with people wrecking the economy and our way of life.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby Flipper » Mon May 18, 2020 3:32 pm

It's not just the collegiate level that's hurting. My daughter is graduating just in time from Bedford HS in MI. Because a huge chunk of the school funding from the State is derived from sales tax...the shut down looks to be creating a roughly $3 million deficit for the Bedofrd Public schools. No idea how they'll handle that...
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby drumstix2388 » Mon May 18, 2020 3:41 pm

Flipper wrote:It's not just the collegiate level that's hurting. My daughter is graduating just in time from Bedford HS in MI. Because a huge chunk of the school funding from the State is derived from sales tax...the shut down looks to be creating a roughly $3 million deficit for the Bedofrd Public schools. No idea how they'll handle that...

That's a great point. I wonder how basically any school at any level is going to be in a solid financial position any time in the next couple of years unless they have a humongous endowment like the Ivys.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby threestooges » Tue May 19, 2020 12:18 am

Falconwriter wrote:
drumstix2388 wrote:It seems as though the baseball players weren't even notified before it was announced, which it seems from social media has upset the family of Levi Gazarek. I wouldn't be surprised if he chose to play elsewhere if he still has a dual sport option. Were there any other players who currently or were planning to play both?

I posted this in the baseball area of AZZ: I am an alum and donor who created a baseball specific scholarship three years ago to honor a family member who had passed away. Do you know how I found out about this today? I was forwarded the same announcement that was given to the media via email. No phone call, no heads up of any kind...not even a personal call from someone in the athletic department.

I'm pissed.

The money I used to seed the scholarship to this point has to go somewhere, but I have no idea where. Again, no communication. But all this has done, for me, is convince me that no further donations will be forthcoming. I'd had a legacy type of bequest coming when I passed away to bolster that scholarship...obviously that won't be happening.

This was not handled very well (the decision itself, which I think is a bad one, aside).

I'm not thrilled with the whole thing either, but the baseball players WERE notified before the announcement. Levi Gazarek, if I'm not mistaken, is a baseball/football recruit who is not yet on campus. The current members of the baseball team were indeed notified before the announcement was made, from what I'm told. Moose told the baseball coaches, the BGSU head coaches in other sports, and the current baseball team members before the news went out. In no way does that change the fact that this whole thing sucks.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Football