Will Justin Turner stay or go?

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: Will Justin Turner stay or go?

Postby BGSU33 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:14 pm

JohnFloyd4Life wrote:I'm interested to see what they'll do with this roster spot. I would guess they aren't going to bring in a 4th freshman so that would leave going for a transfer or leaving the spot empty as they have done in the past. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Gadsen go, they aren't going to play Mattos, Swingle, and Gadsen next season.

I was wondering the same thing. It would be nice to actually see a grad transfer come to BG for once. They've been landing all over the country for the last several years, including at some MAC schools, but never here. In fact, I can't even recall ever having a grad transfer come to BG in hoops. We've had Juco's and standard transfers, but no grad transfers that I can remember. Does anyone remember one? While doubting we'll see it here, I would be up for adding a good Juco to go along with the three frosh who are coming in. We lost our best player (who had eligibility remaining) and we need to do whatever we can to replace him as best we can. That should be our main priority right now.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:21 pm

HoopsFan wrote:We never really got to see Gasden play much. He may be more mobile and athletic than Swingle. Or maybe Swingle will drop 40# and become a beast.

The message for Swingle couldn't be any more clear. He must lose weight to one, get on the floor; two, to stay on the floor; and three, be a contributor on the floor. He looked completely lost and was dominated time and time again in his limited minutes. He was not ready to be out there. In fact, so much at times that he looked like he shouldn't ever be out there. And that was a scary thought after seeing how much Huger said he loved him. I didn't see anything to fall in love with.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:56 pm

TommyG wrote:I don’t wish him any ill will but I could care less about the rest of his career. If he was transferring because of family issues or playing time, I could understand. The rule is what the rule is, but to me it’s quitting BGSU. Don’t think it’s something that he should be celebrated for by BGSU fans.

I feel the same way. If he finished his career at BG I’d have been ecstatic. But he’s going to be on another team at an entirely different school and I don’t really care much what he does there. Watching a guy like Gehrig Dieter run around in an Alabama uniform stung every time I saw it. I know the same is going to be said for Turner wherever he ends up. I just hope for his sake it doesn’t backfire like it has on other guys who’ve done it. At BG he was the man, he’s probably just going to be one of the guys wherever he ends up. I’m not saying he’s not going to play, he will. I’m saying he’s probably going to take a step back in terms of being the guy wherever else he ends up. But, he’ll very likely play in the NCAA Tournament wherever he ends up and that wouldn’t happen at BG because, well, because BG can’t win the damn MAC Tournament to get there. So he’ll have that going for him at least.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby JohnFloyd4Life » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:25 pm

BGSU33 wrote:
HoopsFan wrote:We never really got to see Gasden play much. He may be more mobile and athletic than Swingle. Or maybe Swingle will drop 40# and become a beast.

The message for Swingle couldn't be any more clear. He must lose weight to one, get on the floor; two, to stay on the floor; and three, be a contributor on the floor. He looked completely lost and was dominated time and time again in his limited minutes. He was not ready to be out there. In fact, so much at times that he looked like he shouldn't ever be out there. And that was a scary thought after seeing how much Huger said he loved him. I didn't see anything to fall in love with.

If Gadsen can play then so be it, going into this season that he lost to injury he essentially didn't see the floor for two seasons. I don't think you go get Swingle and start Mattos all year if you're planning on playing Gadsen. I'd hate to see one of those three guys eating a scholarship.

But back to my original point, I think there's a good chance they will have more than one scholarship to play with which would increase the chances of a grad transfer.
JohnFloyd4Life
Chick
Chick

Postby Tswam » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:38 pm

Per Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports, 14 mid-major players who averaged in double figures in '18-'19 opted to grad transfer to power conferences for the '19-'20 season. None averaged in double figures this season.
Tswam
Chick
Chick

Postby BGSU33 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:05 pm

JohnFloyd4Life wrote:
BGSU33 wrote:

If Gadsen can play then so be it, going into this season that he lost to injury he essentially didn't see the floor for two seasons. I don't think you go get Swingle and start Mattos all year if you're planning on playing Gadsen. I'd hate to see one of those three guys eating a scholarship.

But back to my original point, I think there's a good chance they will have more than one scholarship to play with which would increase the chances of a grad transfer.

There's a reason Gadsen hasn't played much. He's not our answer. I'll leave it at that.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby HoopsFan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:04 pm

You may be right on Gasden, but if you saw Plowden in in Soph year, you would have probably said the same thing. He had the moves, but looked unpolished. I think he was the most consistent player on this team.
HoopsFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: I can see the lights of the Football field from here

Postby Class of 61 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:51 pm

Tswam wrote:Per Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports, 14 mid-major players who averaged in double figures in '18-'19 opted to grad transfer to power conferences for the '19-'20 season. None averaged in double figures this season.

And this goes to what someone else mentioned. You’re no longer the “go to” guy. In fact you might be a simply bench depth player since you have to adapt to a new system, different chemistry etc.
That being said, I wish him the best...kids should be able to make these changes if they wish, just make the RIGHT decision.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 am

HoopsFan wrote:You may be right on Gasden, but if you saw Plowden in in Soph year, you would have probably said the same thing. He had the moves, but looked unpolished. I think he was the most consistent player on this team.

Plowden, as a Sophomore, looked to me like a guy that deserved every minute he got, and probably deserved to play more at the expense of Uju. HE looked like a guy that had more to give on offense but he was clearly never better than the 4th/5th option on the team. He still made multiple SC top ten highlights, shot a reasonable % from deep, and was a key player on that team.

I hope I'm wrong on Gadsen, but whenever I've seen him on the court he's looked like a kid that has no business on a D1 roster, let alone on the court.

The kid has always looked like a player...he's a great athlete. But he's never shown me anything (albeit in VERY limited minutes) to make me think he'll ever play a meaningful minute for BGSU basketball. Even Swingle, with his obvious issues, looks far more likely to contribute to this team.

In reality though, we have 3 true Centers on the team. None can do anything outside the paint, none can guard anybody beyond the post, they're all 3 true old school Centers. And none of them are actually GOOD at being that type of player. I had my issues with Wiggins's limitations as a true old school Center, but at least he was a GOOD one of those...the guys that we saw this year were both BAD centers and also so limited that they can do nothing else.

IMO the best bet is Swingle learns how to use his size to his advantage while losing some of it. Hopefully he can become a double double guy and get in good enough shape to play 20 mpg. Because I don't see anything else for hope at that position on this roster, but with 3 schollies already committed I can't fathom using another one.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Globetrotter » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:07 pm

Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby Hammer » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:59 pm

I think the kids that make these transfers must really hate the coaches and schools they play for because MAC guys rarely see the floor when they make these changes. I do believe they 100% have the right to make these decisions but it’s all too often bad moves for them. Are there many good cases to point to where this worked out for a MAC guy?
Hammer
Egg
Egg

Postby Hammer » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:04 pm

I would also say I loved watching JT and he was a great player here but it baffled me that Plowden was not the center of our offense. He is a much bigger talent. We didn’t get to see his full potential due to the iso ball routine and Turner rarely giving up the ball. How many times did we watch an entire team collapse on turner without him ever looking to pass to four open guys. All is not lost without Turner but we are dead in the water if Plowden leaves as well.
Hammer
Egg
Egg

Postby BGSU33 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:18 am

HoopsFan wrote:You may be right on Gasden, but if you saw Plowden in in Soph year, you would have probably said the same thing. He had the moves, but looked unpolished. I think he was the most consistent player on this team.

I strongly disagree. I've watched Plowden's entire collegiate career and as a sophomore I thought he was primed for a breakthrough and thought he had potential written all over him. I wasn't surprised at all with what I saw from his in his junior season. I just hope we have a few guys who can really step it up and help him carry the load.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:45 am

hammb wrote:
HoopsFan wrote:
In reality though, we have 3 true Centers on the team. None can do anything outside the paint, none can guard anybody beyond the post, they're all 3 true old school Centers. And none of them are actually GOOD at being that type of player. I had my issues with Wiggins's limitations as a true old school Center, but at least he was a GOOD one of those...the guys that we saw this year were both BAD centers and also so limited that they can do nothing else.

This. I'm not even sure if we could combined the three guys into one player we'd find what we need at center. We have three guys eating up three spots at center in a conference that has a long history of teams winning without even playing a true five. Wiggins was at minimum serviceable and other times good for us. I'd throw a few guys like Len Matela and Shane Kline-Ruminski in there as well. They went out there and produced and even if they were outplayed, they still gave us something we needed. But with what we have log jammed at center now, I'd take a guy like Floyd Miller who was a 6-7 forward (could play the 3 or 4), very athletic, had a nice touch in the paint, and more importantly - would throw it down hard instead of laying it up softly missing numerous bunnies like I've seen our centers repeatedly do now. I'd even take a guy like Kirk Cowan, who was a small forward sized player at 6-7, 190 soaking wet, but he played the post for us and did more than any of our bigs (who are much "bigger') are giving for us now. He produced and could offset whatever he was giving up one one end by being undersized and outweighed by being a mismatch himself for the opponent on the other. And I'd take a Richaun Holmes any day of the week.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tswam » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:12 pm

Per Jon Rothstein, Turner has cut his list to:

Missouri, Xavier, Marquette, Arkansas, Louisville, Iowa State.
Tswam
Chick
Chick

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops