BG vs EMU

BGSU Women's Basketball!!

BG vs EMU

Postby elmrfudd » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:59 am

Well, the Falcons absorbed their tenth MAC loss last night at home against the Eagles. The only thing done differently by the Falcons was a 2-3 zone that was really no more effective than the matchup zone they’re used to playing. We continue to give up easy layups and open looks behind the arc. Aside from Angela Perry’s inside game, the Falcon offense continued to struggle. Our best shooter, Madisen Parker, finished with just three points. We, as a team, may have improved slightly over the last five years, but look, our record at this point in the season is the same. Our team has really showed no improvement since the beginning of the season. We continue to show that, by comparison to our opponents, we are still fundamentally anemic, and our player development has appeared nonexistent. Sadly, the only player that I can see is playing with heart and hustle is freshman Elissa Brett. Granted, she still makes her make freshman mistakes, but we could use a dozen more players with her heart for the game. As much as I like Coach Fralick, the stigma of the Falcons becoming the MAC’s “whipping girl” falls on her and her staff. As I’ve said, for the team to get better, the players need to step up, put in the work, and resolve to become the best players they can be. GO FALCONS! JMHO
elmrfudd
Chick
Chick

Re: BG vs EMU

Postby Falconwriter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:19 am

I was as excited by the last coaching hire as anyone...but is it too early to start wondering if Fralick isn't in over her head at the D-1 level? I would have expected to see some major improvement by now; but maybe my expectations are too high.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:24 am

Falconwriter wrote:I was as excited by the last coaching hire as anyone...but is it too early to start wondering if Fralick isn't in over her head at the D-1 level? I would have expected to see some major improvement by now; but maybe my expectations are too high.

I think it takes a year longer to rebuild talent in women's basketball than in men's. I wanted more improvement this year in the win column, but overall the games are much closer and competitive than last year. If that doesn't translate into wins next season, I'd start to worry, but I'm still fully on board with this being a great hire, especially with the class that's coming in.
Twitter is @MachiaBilly
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby factman » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:58 am

...........not to mention that our best player has missed the entire season. Better things to come.
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby HoopsFan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:37 pm

There's no sense of urgency with this team. We get behind and play at the same pace. We don't defend, we don't drive the basket, if the 3 pointer makes or the rebound falls in our hands, we might have a decent game, but if not, don't go after anything. Yeah, I saw both Eastern games. I don't think the coach did. We have no drive, no quickness and it shows.

I'm high on two players on the active team, Kadie and Elissa. The rest? Rion seems injured, Parker had earlier success, but she can't create her shot, Morgan can't defend, Hill seems O.K. but probably is not a point guard and Trice, Hall, Dever, et al are just there...well except for Dever who I assume is also hurt.

I have 3 home tickets left, and one of those is Ash Wednesday. I'm so ready to stick a fork in this season.

HoopsFan
HoopsFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: I can see the lights of the Football field from here

Postby elmrfudd » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:38 pm

I, too, was elated when we hired Fralick. She had tremendous success at Ashland, and anyone would believe that would carry over to Bowling Green. I agree with HoopsFan that there is absolutely no sense of urgency whatsoever with this team. Several questions entered my mind recently.....Has this team gotten so used to losing that they’ve accepted it as the norm? Are the players on this team merely fulfilling their obligations to play basketball in obtaining their scholarships? Are these women asking themselves if they are satisfied with where they are as a player, where they are as a team, and have they given everything they have to become the best, well-rounded basketball player they can be? Are they asking themselves why all the other teams in the MAC are playing better basketball than they are? I truly believe that every player on this roster has good basketball potential, but their individual skills are far from being polished. Parker and McMillen are strictly post up three-point shooters. Take away their looks from behind the arc and their offensive effectiveness is shot. Perry has great offensive moves inside, plus she can shoot the three as well. The problem is she is weak defensively and is not that aggressive on the boards. Hill makes just enough good plays to offset her miscues, and she still can’t dribble up the floor without peeking down at the ball. Hempfling struggled in every aspect of the game against EMU. She is very basketball smart, but lacks consistency. Thompson can score in a variety of ways, but she lacks in decision making on the floor. Brett plays with great resolve and hustle, but she needs to get out of her own way sometimes. AND THE WHOLE TEAM MUST IMPROVE THEIR FREE THROW SHOOTING. MADE FOUL SHOTS HELPS TO WIN CLOSE GAMES. A 67% TEAM FREE THROW PERCENTAGE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. Curt Miller knew what it took to be an excellent coach, and he knew how to create excellent players to fit an excellent system. Continuing to play at slightly above high school level is not adequate enough to compete at the D1 level. EXCELLENCE IN FUNDAMENTALS, PLAYER DEVELOPMENT, HARD WORK, LEADERSHIP, AND THE DRIVE TO SETTLE FOR NOTHING LESS THAN WINNING, are the attributes that I believe will turn this team around. We’ve been doing the same thing for the last six years, and we always get the same result, which has NOT been good. Maybe the coaching staff should watch a lot of film from the Curt Miller era, and start leveling comparisons. A wake-up call will likely follow. I’ve said enough........for now. GO FALCONS!!!
elmrfudd
Chick
Chick

Postby Falconwriter » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:36 pm

elmrfudd wrote:I, too, was elated when we hired Fralick. She had tremendous success at Ashland, and anyone would believe that would carry over to Bowling Green. I agree with HoopsFan that there is absolutely no sense of urgency whatsoever with this team. Several questions entered my mind recently.....Has this team gotten so used to losing that they’ve accepted it as the norm? Are the players on this team merely fulfilling their obligations to play basketball in obtaining their scholarships? Are these women asking themselves if they are satisfied with where they are as a player, where they are as a team, and have they given everything they have to become the best, well-rounded basketball player they can be? Are they asking themselves why all the other teams in the MAC are playing better basketball than they are? I truly believe that every player on this roster has good basketball potential, but their individual skills are far from being polished. Parker and McMillen are strictly post up three-point shooters. Take away their looks from behind the arc and their offensive effectiveness is shot. Perry has great offensive moves inside, plus she can shoot the three as well. The problem is she is weak defensively and is not that aggressive on the boards. Hill makes just enough good plays to offset her miscues, and she still can’t dribble up the floor without peeking down at the ball. Hempfling struggled in every aspect of the game against EMU. She is very basketball smart, but lacks consistency. Thompson can score in a variety of ways, but she lacks in decision making on the floor. Brett plays with great resolve and hustle, but she needs to get out of her own way sometimes. AND THE WHOLE TEAM MUST IMPROVE THEIR FREE THROW SHOOTING. MADE FOUL SHOTS HELPS TO WIN CLOSE GAMES. A 67% TEAM FREE THROW PERCENTAGE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. Curt Miller knew what it took to be an excellent coach, and he knew how to create excellent players to fit an excellent system. Continuing to play at slightly above high school level is not adequate enough to compete at the D1 level. EXCELLENCE IN FUNDAMENTALS, PLAYER DEVELOPMENT, HARD WORK, LEADERSHIP, AND THE DRIVE TO SETTLE FOR NOTHING LESS THAN WINNING, are the attributes that I believe will turn this team around. We’ve been doing the same thing for the last six years, and we always get the same result, which has NOT been good. Maybe the coaching staff should watch a lot of film from the Curt Miller era, and start leveling comparisons. A wake-up call will likely follow. I’ve said enough........for now. GO FALCONS!!!

Being unable to see most of the games (as in 99.9 percent), I have to rely on what people like you observe and report. Pretty much all of the issues you've noted come back to coaching. All of them, and that doesn't even include doing a better job of selecting players that will fit the system you want to run. The one thing that differentiates excellent coaches from everyone else is: the ability to bring in the right talent and then develop it. We are not seeing movement forward that I can discern. Have the games gotten a little closer? Sure. But they lost a lot of close games last season with far less talent (on paper). I do not find any of this encouraging...and nobody is rooting harder for the program's success than me.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby elmrfudd » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:47 am

Falconwriter wrote:
elmrfudd wrote:I, too, was elated when we hired Fralick. She had tremendous success at Ashland, and anyone would believe that would carry over to Bowling Green. I agree with HoopsFan that there is absolutely no sense of urgency whatsoever with this team. Several questions entered my mind recently.....Has this team gotten so used to losing that they’ve accepted it as the norm? Are the players on this team merely fulfilling their obligations to play basketball in obtaining their scholarships? Are these women asking themselves if they are satisfied with where they are as a player, where they are as a team, and have they given everything they have to become the best, well-rounded basketball player they can be? Are they asking themselves why all the other teams in the MAC are playing better basketball than they are? I truly believe that every player on this roster has good basketball potential, but their individual skills are far from being polished. Parker and McMillen are strictly post up three-point shooters. Take away their looks from behind the arc and their offensive effectiveness is shot. Perry has great offensive moves inside, plus she can shoot the three as well. The problem is she is weak defensively and is not that aggressive on the boards. Hill makes just enough good plays to offset her miscues, and she still can’t dribble up the floor without peeking down at the ball. Hempfling struggled in every aspect of the game against EMU. She is very basketball smart, but lacks consistency. Thompson can score in a variety of ways, but she lacks in decision making on the floor. Brett plays with great resolve and hustle, but she needs to get out of her own way sometimes. AND THE WHOLE TEAM MUST IMPROVE THEIR FREE THROW SHOOTING. MADE FOUL SHOTS HELPS TO WIN CLOSE GAMES. A 67% TEAM FREE THROW PERCENTAGE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. Curt Miller knew what it took to be an excellent coach, and he knew how to create excellent players to fit an excellent system. Continuing to play at slightly above high school level is not adequate enough to compete at the D1 level. EXCELLENCE IN FUNDAMENTALS, PLAYER DEVELOPMENT, HARD WORK, LEADERSHIP, AND THE DRIVE TO SETTLE FOR NOTHING LESS THAN WINNING, are the attributes that I believe will turn this team around. We’ve been doing the same thing for the last six years, and we always get the same result, which has NOT been good. Maybe the coaching staff should watch a lot of film from the Curt Miller era, and start leveling comparisons. A wake-up call will likely follow. I’ve said enough........for now. GO FALCONS!!!

Being unable to see most of the games (as in 99.9 percent), I have to rely on what people like you observe and report. Pretty much all of the issues you've noted come back to coaching. All of them, and that doesn't even include doing a better job of selecting players that will fit the system you want to run. The one thing that differentiates excellent coaches from everyone else is: the ability to bring in the right talent and then develop it. We are not seeing movement forward that I can discern. Have the games gotten a little closer? Sure. But they lost a lot of close games last season with far less talent (on paper). I do not find any of this encouraging...and nobody is rooting harder for the program's success than me.

Falconwriter, I appreciate your input concerning the coaching aspect of what I can see is going on with this team, whether I’m right, wrong, or indifferent. I agree that Coach Fralick & Company need to recruit players to fit her system.......to a point. I also believe that a good coach, or great coach for that matter, can also recruit extremely talented players who may, or may not fit their system. I believe a coach needs to be smart enough to implement a system that plays into the strengths of each player, in order to maximize their individual skill sets. For example, Madisen Parker has been leading the nation in three point percentage all season long. Why doesn’t Coach Fralick’s system include ways to get Parker 12-15 good looks from behind the arc every game? Currently, Parker may be getting off three or four shots a game, if she’s lucky. With every team keying on her, it’s time to find a way to free her up. If Fralick had several excellent free throw shooters (which, sadly, she doesn’t have this season) on the team, why wouldn’t she develop a system to get them to the line as often as possible? You’ve heard the old cliche that “you can’t put a square peg in a round hole”. Well, what’s the matter with changing the shape of the hole to fit the square peg? Do you see my point? And perhaps that was Roos’ problem. Maybe “her system” was taking far too much precedence over using the players’ strengths. But the main thing that I’m stressing here is player development in the fundamentals of the game. We cannot continue to bring in players that go from freshmen to seniors showing little or no improvement from year to year. It makes no sense whatsoever to try and force undeveloped talent into a D1 college system. It will NEVER work! I repeat, “Unless the players get better themselves, the team will never get better!” Again, my honest opinion.....
elmrfudd
Chick
Chick

Return to Women's Hoops