vs. Northern Illinois (1/18)

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

vs. Northern Illinois (1/18)

Postby mbenecke » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:23 am

Our Falcons (12-5, 3-1) are back at the Stroh on Saturday afternoon to take on the Northern Illinois Huskies (9-8, 2-2) at 4:00pm. The game is available to stream on ESPN+, but it would be great if we could get a nice crowd in town for this mid-afternoon tip. It's definitely a great weekend to be in BG - once basketball is over, you can head over to the Ice Arena and watch our guys take on the #3 team in the country.

Trying to run this win streak to 4 won't be easy, but we've gotta do it. Go Falcons!
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: vs. Northern Illinois

Postby footballguy51 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:16 pm

I will be there. We traded in two of our season tickets to bring a couple friends to the game. Three of us are pulling the double and going to the hockey game. Here's hoping for two wins on Saturday!
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: vs. Northern Illinois (1/18)

Postby Falconwriter » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:35 pm

I can't tell you how many times I did this kind of "double" when I was a student. By the time Sunday rolled around, I usually didn't have a voice. Every home game has to be a must win for this team, if they want to get the best position for the tournament.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:43 pm

That was always my favorite thing the past 3 years living in town. Going to hockey Friday night, hanging out with friends and talking about the game.Then sleeping in on Saturday, getting around for the day, and heading over to the Stroh for basketball and then straight over to the Ice Arena for hockey. Truly, truly awesome when they were both home so we could pull the double. So much fun - something I wish more BG students were willing to do.

I don't really get to do that anymore, living back home for student teaching this year. But something I will always remember fondly, for sure.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:15 pm

Back in day Friday night hockey and triple-header Saturdays occurred often when the men and women would play back-to-back at Anderson starting around noon
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:40 pm

The “ triple” will happen on Feb 8. Joyce and I are heading back to campus both basketball games, and I’m planning on hockey too, tho she’s not an “ice” fan, so may not come with me.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:40 pm

The “ triple” will happen on Feb 8. Joyce and I are heading back to campus both basketball games, and I’m planning on hockey too, tho she’s not an “ice” fan, so may not come with me.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:51 pm

Man I miss those noon tip basketball games in Anderson Arena.

Many of us still hung over from Friday night. Many others already completely wasted on a Saturday Morning. Dakich wearing his suit backwards. Good times...
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Globetrotter » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:57 pm

hammb wrote:Man I miss those noon tip basketball games in Anderson Arena.

Many of us still hung over from Friday night. Many others already completely wasted on a Saturday Morning. Dakich wearing his suit backwards. Good times...

And it was full.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby hammb » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:37 am

Globetrotter wrote:
hammb wrote:Man I miss those noon tip basketball games in Anderson Arena.

And it was full.

Well we did have like 8-9 years straight of eventual MAC POY talemt on our roster. To go with depth around it.

Of course I don't think we'd fill the place even if we were that consistently good again. Too bad too, MAC hoops is still fun as hell. Of course back then nearly every conference game was bringing in future NBA players, and the conference just doesn't do that anymore.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby mbenecke » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:02 pm

Top 5 home attendance figures for men’s basketball so far this season:
1. Fairmont State (Fri) 3312
2. Oakland (Sat) 2124
3. Kent State (Fri) 2022
4. Miami (Tue) 1923
5. Cleveland State (Sun) 1725

I'm hoping Saturday approaches the top 5. Would love to have at least 2,000 in the building this weekend - even though that's still less than 50% capacity.

Also really hoping for a huge crowd against Toledo on February 8. I won't be able to make it, but I know our team loves playing front of a packed house - like Buffalo and Toledo last season.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:22 pm

Tough to get the really big crowd with students on break. Any promotions, special events or advertising occurring for this weekend?
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:06 pm

FalconTurf wrote:Tough to get the really big crowd with students on break. Any promotions, special events or advertising occurring for this weekend?

Great point on the students. That's gotta be the worst thing about this January term.

It's Scout Day at the Stroh on Saturday.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby zete » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:56 am

mbenecke wrote:That was always my favorite thing the past 3 years living in town. Going to hockey Friday night, hanging out with friends and talking about the game.Then sleeping in on Saturday, getting around for the day, and heading over to the Stroh for basketball and then straight over to the Ice Arena for hockey. Truly, truly awesome when they were both home so we could pull the double. So much fun - something I wish more BG students were willing to do.

I don't really get to do that anymore, living back home for student teaching this year. But something I will always remember fondly, for sure.

Wish there were two thousand more fans like you!! :supz:
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Bgsu2016 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:28 pm

Yeah hopefully the J term is removed eventually. Has to be awful sitting around until almost February before returning to school and then getting a late jump for summer internships
Bgsu2016
Egg
Egg

Next

Return to Men's Hoops