vs. Miami (1/7)

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

vs. Miami (1/7)

Postby mbenecke » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:36 pm

BGSU (9-5) looks to bounce back from Friday night's loss in a Tuesday night game against Miami (7-7) at the Stroh Center, which tips off at 7:00pm. I'll finally get to be in the building for a game this year, and I'm looking forward to it. The game will be televised on ESPN+, and there are also $1 tickets, parking, and concessions available, so I would love to see a larger-than-normal crowd for a Tuesday night in the building. This is a game we have to be up for - Miami's record isn't great, but we have to win at home, regardless of the opponent, if we are going to be what we hoped for this year.

I think our guys are up for the challenge. Go Falcons!
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: vs. Miami (1/7)

Postby footballguy51 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:56 am

There will be a decent crowd from North Baltimore. The North Baltimore High School Athletic Band will be playing at the game today, so we will have live music again and the benefit of some added rowdy fans. It also helps that the schools essentially have the same colors.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:26 pm

This defensive "effort" is an effing joke...
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby mbenecke » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:46 pm

Frustrating first half defense, for sure. We need to go over screens and play with our hands up. We’re giving too much room to just pull up for an easy jumper.

Gotta get things figured out. It should still be a winnable game.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BleedOrange » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:50 pm

We play with no confidence in the half court and everything we shoot is out of rhythm. Further, I see no reason to ever have Swingle out there when Kula, Sierra, and CTurner are available. They might not he centers, but they can actually help us.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby hammb » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:56 pm

mbenecke wrote:Frustrating first half defense, for sure. We need to go over screens and play with our hands up. We’re giving too much room to just pull up for an easy jumper.

Gotta get things figured out. It should still be a winnable game.

At least 5x that half where we didn't do anything more than a half assed closeout.

At one point they were 8-11 on threes and I would bet they had nobody within 2 feet of the shooter on at least 8-9 of those.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby BleedOrange » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:03 pm

We have 2 elite MAC players in JTurner and Plowden, but we don't capitalize on that with how we run our offense. We don't screen for Plowden, who should be moving much more without the ball. We depend on JTurner to manufacture shots halfway thru the shotclock when the halfcourt set fizzles.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby Diemilkweed » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:06 pm

That last foul was a Reggie Miller / James Harden special. The shooter stuck his leg WAAAYYY out to the side in a completely unnatural motion because fields was going passed him. Contact is made, player crumples. Ref falls for it and grants the free throws.

That was an offensive foul or a no call. It didn't really hamper Fields any, so it should have been a no call. But the offensive player went fishing for that contact and put his leg in the path of our player's movement. That's not a defensive foul. And I wish to god that ref's would start calling that crap for what it is.
Diemilkweed
Egg
Egg

Postby mbenecke » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:56 pm

FINAL: BG 78, Miami 76

Regardless, I’ll take a win! It wasn’t pretty, and there’s a lot to fix, but that second half was a completely different team in terms of effort and execution. If we can be that for a full 40 minutes, we’ll be tough to beat.

Gotta figure out how to grab a rebound.

Great to have Turner back at full strength, awesome to see Mattos really step up tonight.

Happy with the W. Now back to work.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:07 pm

That was my reaction to that foul as well. Sure as heck looked like the offensive guy initiated the whole thing.

Big plays by fields down the stretch. Mattos had some nice plays but just as many wtf moments.

The gameplan down the stretch looked atrocious only to be bailed out by Fields on those 2 put backs. How the hell are we running sets in close games and don't even look to get Turner the ball.

Effort level went up a lot in the second half and stole a victory, that's good. But this team still has a lot of work to do.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby mbenecke » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:09 pm

Mattos had 18 points and 11 rebounds tonight.

I *think* I'm confident that he's our best true 5? Anyone else feel that way after tonight?
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Matty B » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:32 pm

Hated to see that foul called on Fields because his defense on Sibande in the 2nd half changed the game - held their leading scorer to only 3 points in the 2nd half and 9 for the game. All 3 of his offensive rebounds were massive and provided 2 big buckets down the stretch. He was my MVP tonight.

Plowden gave a great defensive effort on Brown as well, who went 6-17 after tossing in his first 2 shots to open the game.

Juice and Dylan knocked down free throws when they counted.

Mattos was a different animal tonight. He showed he can be very effective when the other team's bigs aren't overly athletic.

Gotta hand it to Huger as well. He called a timeout to lay into the team after the possession where they dropped 2 rebounds out of bounds and then gave up 2 more offensive boards. I think I even heard him swearing! After that the team locked down defensively and it was the key to coming back in that game.

Wasn't pretty, but still a lot to like. This team isn't quite a finished product but the important thing is that they are by March, and I still think we can get there.
LONG LIVE THE MONGOOSE!!
Matty B
Chick
Chick

Return to Men's Hoops