Just for Kicks - NDSU

Talk about the Buckeyes the Wolverines the Hilltoppers the Ducks the Beavers the Chanticleers... or anyone else who isn't BG or an opponent in this forum.

Just for Kicks - NDSU

Postby Firelands-Falcon » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:08 pm

Just for the kicks and giggles of talking about the idea, if North Dakota State University (not the school that we played a week ago, this is a different team for those unsure) decided to go FBS, would you like to see them in the MAC? Or do you think that if they moved up to FBS that they would get an invite from a Power 5 conference? I could see them hanging around in the Big 12 or B1G. Thoughts?
Firelands-Falcon
Egg
Egg

Re: Just for Kicks - NDSU

Postby MarkL » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:42 pm

I would gladly bring them into the MAC, all sports. It would be tough travel on them though as all of their conference games would require an airplane.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby factman » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:54 pm

They already have "tough" travel. It might even improve it, but they also have a VERY good travel budget. The university is very generous as far as travel budgets go.
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby footballguy51 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:06 pm

They are good enough to finish in the middle of a P5 conference. If they went FBS, a P5 wouldn't take them. For the other conferences, the location would make sense for Mountain West or Sun Belt, followed by the MAC. I would love to have them in the MAC because they would up the competition level in the conference, but my guess is they would go to one of those other two (they would DOMINATE the Sun Belt).
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:07 pm

footballguy51 wrote:For the other conferences, the location would make sense for Mountain West or Sun Belt, followed by the MAC.

North Dakota State has been playing such amazing football that I think the MAC would have to consider adding them if they ever expressed an interest moving to FBS. On the one hand, Fargo is pretty far away; It isn't even a bus trip from Northern Illinois. On the other hand, we are talking about a flagship university similar in size to many MAC schools, and they are just killing it on the football field. They'd be a good fit in many ways.

That said, I suspect the Mountain West might also be interested at this point. On the other hand, NDSU's president has been quoted as saying they are happy in FCS.

I can't imagine NDSU wanting to play ball in the Sun Belt or Conference USA. Too far for them.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller

Postby Firelands-Falcon » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:38 pm

MW would be the best fit for them if they moved up, unless they want to go Big XII. Likely they will just stay FCS since they rule.
Firelands-Falcon
Egg
Egg

Postby MarkL » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:35 pm

The chances of NDSU landing in the Big 12 are slightly above my chances of winning the Heisman this year. No way the Big 12 would allow an FCS to jump so far up. Seeing as there are no Big 12 teams in the top 15, reputation is low. No matter how good NDSU is, it would look so embarrassing for such a move to even be publicly considered.
And again I would welcome them to the MAC with open arms. Then probably see them go MWC instead and push Boise State for conference dominance.
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Critical Thinker » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:47 pm

No amount of football success is going to convince the 16 other sports that they should add an annual bus ride to Fargo "for the good of the conference."
Critical Thinker
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Schadenfreude » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:09 pm

Critical Thinker wrote:No amount of football success is going to convince the 16 other sports that they should add an annual bus ride to Fargo "for the good of the conference."

Sports don't decide things. University presidents do.
Schadenfreude

Postby It's the Journey... » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:01 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
Critical Thinker wrote:No amount of football success is going to convince the 16 other sports that they should add an annual bus ride to Fargo "for the good of the conference."

Sports don't decide things. University presidents do.

Truth, and athletics are not the only thing taken into consideration when extending an invitation. You must benchmark academically as well. That is why I would love to see the next round of MAC expansion to include Illinois State. Many of our academic programs benchmark against them. They would also challenge for titles in every sport but football at entry. They would probably dominate in Baseball for the next 5 years.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:51 pm

It's the Journey... wrote:Truth, and athletics are not the only thing taken into consideration when extending an invitation. You must benchmark academically as well. That is why I would love to see the next round of MAC expansion to include Illinois State.

That's why, if and when the time comes, I'd like to see us look at Albany or Stony Brook. These are also very good schools.
Schadenfreude

Postby MarkL » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:31 pm

I would like to see no more conference expansion unless there is a home run hit waiting for you. I like the MAC the way it is.
Earlier I suggested reaching out to Marshall and Western Kentucky and seeing if we can get both. Not one, both. All sports. If not, then nothing. No need to hurt the stability of the conference, only add new members if there is a great opportunity right there.
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby It's the Journey... » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:05 am

You would want to give Marshall a THIRD run in the MAC????? Western Kentucky would be alright, but not Marshall. The MAC gave them the boot once, and they left us for CUSA the second time. I don't think another chance it needed. If/when we do add I agree it should be two schools. I also would like to see one added in the East and one in the West to maintain balance. I like our current membership but I also don't want to get into a situation where members get poached and we are unable to have a championship game for football.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:59 am

It's the Journey... wrote:You would want to give Marshall a THIRD run in the MAC?????

I would. Sure. Absolutely. Good program. Easy bus trip. Bob Pruett has been retired for a long time now.

In fact, a few weeks ago, local sports columnist Chuck Landon said Marshall would probably be better off in the MAC. He has a point.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/m ... bc507.html
Schadenfreude

Postby MarkL » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:10 pm

The way I see it is the MAC is past the point of being a stepping stone for Temple or stooping down to pick up FCS teams like UMass. If we're going to expand, we get programs that can compete from day one.
Why Marshall and WKU? Marshall would immediately compete in the MAC East and WKU would immediately compete in the MAC West. Both would make the conference better. Both would expand the conference's footstep by a state and add some new recruiting territory but maintain an Ohio-centric conference and sustainable travel budgets. And neither is looking to jump to something bigger. Where would each go? Hell, if you added those two for all sports, I would suggest the new 14 member MAC would be the top mid-tier conference, especially once Houston and Cincinnati join the Big 12.
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Other Schools