Welcome Back!!

Administrative message to and/or from the webmaster.

Re: Welcome Back!!

Postby rally » Tue May 18, 2010 8:01 am

Grant, thanks for all of your time and effort. I was really glad to see the forum pop up this morning, and know that it doesn't happen without a lot of planning and tending. Looking forward to great discussions and late-breaking news. Cheers!
rally
Egg
Egg

Postby Tech83 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:31 pm

oaklane2 wrote:Maybe if we all say pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaase really loud we will get free for all back. I mean where else can we brag about our kids who may one day rise up and become a Falcon to carry on the tradition, cue FMB.

I have to agree with this comment. AZZ is very special and different than most fan boards. It allows you to meet and network with other alumni, students, hanger -ons (such as H2) :lol: ) and plus keep track of Flipper's emergency room adventures. Quite honestly, I don't frequent the sports forums all too often. But I have meet a number of folks here who I have been able to meet at games and other university events due to this site.

I don't go to Hawk Talk (Miami's site) very often as its only about sports.... I might read a few threads here and there, but I rarely post.

Where else can someone like SaxyIrishTenor post about attending the Boy Scout Jamboree this summer and ask for support? Or yourself .... asking for us to support your efforts with the MS walk.

So in closing.... I have not problem tightening down the "Free for All" so its more about non-political issues. Change the name. ALL I know is want to keep track of Oaklane2's son's football season next year.... or whether Noah hits for the cycle this year..... Or that PGY is getting a reality show about having a zillion kids. :lol:

Maybe its an associated Facebook page... I don't know. Something to think about it.
Tech83
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Tue May 18, 2010 2:49 pm

Tech83 wrote:
oaklane2 wrote:Maybe if we all say pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaase really loud we will get free for all back. I mean where else can we brag about our kids who may one day rise up and become a Falcon to carry on the tradition, cue FMB.

I have to agree with this comment. AZZ is very special and different than most fan boards. It allows you to meet and network with other alumni, students, hanger -ons (such as H2) :lol: ) and plus keep track of Flipper's emergency room adventures. Quite honestly, I don't frequent the sports forums all too often. But I have meet a number of folks here who I have been able to meet at games and other university events due to this site.

I don't go to Hawk Talk (Miami's site) very often as its only about sports.... I might read a few threads here and there, but I rarely post.

Where else can someone like SaxyIrishTenor post about attending the Boy Scout Jamboree this summer and ask for support? Or yourself .... asking for us to support your efforts with the MS walk.

So in closing.... I have not problem tightening down the "Free for All" so its more about non-political issues. Change the name. ALL I know is want to keep track of Oaklane2's son's football season next year.... or whether Noah hits for the cycle this year..... Or that PGY is getting a reality show about having a zillion kids. :lol:

Maybe its an associated Facebook page... I don't know. Something to think about it.

I definitely did dig the FFA for the community aspect that you mention. Specifically I loved discussing things like professional sports, fantasy sports, movies, video games, tv shows, etc with people that I widely consider friends. I'd love to have the FFA back, but I definitely agree that the political stuff was just way over the top...especially as it devolved into personal attacks and insults that eventually bled into the other forums. We can't have that.

Personally, I'm a fan of a FFA forum where you abide by the same basic rules that everybody should obey in most communities: Do not discuss religion or politics.

Either way, I'm glad to have the site back, and I trust Grant to make the decisions that work best for the community.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby CapitalFalcon » Tue May 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Glad to see the boards back Grant! I totally agree with Tech as I am in the same boat. But I have a suggestion...How about everyone act like an effin' adult? You don't need to name call like a six year old if you disagree with someone. And if someone calls you out, be the bigger man/woman and don't flame back. It's like we have all DEvolved and need to have an overseer make sure we don't get out of line. If you take care of you, it will all be good, regardless if the topic is about Christian Rock, Politics, little league, pee wee football, religion, or anything else.

Additionally, I thought there was a big concern about these boards being "elitist" (of which the irony is not lost considering BG is a consistent tier-three ranked school in a mid-major conference). So I am not sure how the FFA shutdown contributes to a more open environment that welcomes newcomers who are new alumni, or teens interested in attending BG. But I agree, this should be a welcoming site whether you are an old timer or just signed-up yesterday.
CapitalFalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tech83 » Tue May 18, 2010 8:48 pm

CapitalFalcon wrote:How about everyone act like an effin' adult? You don't need to name call like a six year old if you disagree with someone. And if someone calls you out, be the bigger man/woman and don't flame back. It's like we have all DEvolved and need to have an overseer make sure we don't get out of line.

OH YEAH!!! Who you calling DEvolved? I'll see you at recess..... I going have to kick your..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tech83
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby ZiggyZoomba » Tue May 18, 2010 9:08 pm

CapitalFalcon wrote:
Additionally, I thought there was a big concern about these boards being "elitist" (of which the irony is not lost considering BG is a consistent tier-three ranked school in a mid-major conference). So I am not sure how the FFA shutdown contributes to a more open environment that welcomes newcomers who are new alumni, or teens interested in attending BG. But I agree, this should be a welcoming site whether you are an old timer or just signed-up yesterday.

The number and topics of forums has absolutely NOTHING to do with being welcoming and open. It's all about attitude and conduct of the members of this community. Those two things (attitude and conduct) degraded in that forum more so than anywhere else on this website, and it carried over into other forums, big time. If you don't believe that, then you weren't paying attention.

The Free For All shutdown is a decision I'm sticking with for now. I liked the Free For All too, it had some great content and was a lot of fun for a while, but not for the last 9-12 months or more. I'm not ready for that can of worms to be open again yet. When I'm confident that civility is the norm again in this community, then we'll see what happens.
Grant Cummings
ROLL ALONG!!!
"We are linked to this institution by invisible bonds that do not wither or dissolve." --BGSU President, Dr. Ralph W. McDonald - 1968
ZiggyZoomba
The Wizard of AZZ
The Wizard of AZZ

Postby Tech83 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:48 am

Well -I guess I wasn't paying attention :lol: .... or maybe better stated - I chose to ignore some threads. I have to admit, I was posting less because of the topics and tenor of discussion didn't interest me.

I think the FFA can morph into something else that allows us to just network/BS with each other. Maybe its just called The Alumni Center (A family friendly forum) and basically its a non-politico/non-religion zone.

BTW - Capital..... where were you after school yesterday.... I waited at the monkey bars for 45 minutes to give you the beating you deserved....... I'll see you at lunch..... DEevolved my foot. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tech83
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Wed May 19, 2010 10:21 am

You're both Jocko Homo's....

It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Pete Segaard » Wed May 19, 2010 12:00 pm

Tech83 wrote:I think the FFA can morph into something else that allows us to just network/BS with each other. Maybe its just called The Alumni Center (A family friendly forum) and basically its a non-politico/non-religion zone.
Love this idea

Tech83 wrote:BTW - Capital..... where were you after school yesterday.... I waited at the monkey bars for 45 minutes to give you the beating you deserved....... I'll see you before lunch, Bring my lunch money..... DEevolved my foot. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We need FFA/"The Alumni Center" just for comic relief.
Team Falcon Around
The Falcon formerly known as oaklane2
Pete Segaard
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby CapitalFalcon » Wed May 19, 2010 5:04 pm

Tech83 wrote:Well -I guess I wasn't paying attention :lol: .... or maybe better stated - I chose to ignore some threads. I have to admit, I was posting less because of the topics and tenor of discussion didn't interest me.

I think the FFA can morph into something else that allows us to just network/BS with each other. Maybe its just called The Alumni Center (A family friendly forum) and basically its a non-politico/non-religion zone.

BTW - Capital..... where were you after school yesterday.... I waited at the monkey bars for 45 minutes to give you the beating you deserved....... I'll see you at lunch..... DEevolved my foot. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh! You whanna know where I was??? I was with your Momma! :mrgreen:
CapitalFalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Wed May 19, 2010 5:12 pm

What's up, Delonte?
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Tech83 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:41 pm

CapitalFalcon wrote:
Tech83 wrote:Well -I guess I wasn't paying attention :lol: .... or maybe better stated - I chose to ignore some threads. I have to admit, I was posting less because of the topics and tenor of discussion didn't interest me.

Oh! You whanna know where I was??? I was with your Momma! :mrgreen:

:lol:
Tech83
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby SB-50 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:42 pm

Ahhh...a post never felt so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO FALCONS!!
GO AZZ----!!!!!

What are we called???:

AZZ-ers
AZZ-onians
AZZ-ites
AZZ-ans
AZZ-Nation
?????????????
SB-50
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Ydfalcon » Thu May 20, 2010 12:46 am

oaklane2 wrote:
Tech83 wrote:I think the FFA can morph into something else that allows us to just network/BS with each other. Maybe its just called The Alumni Center (A family friendly forum) and basically its a non-politico/non-religion zone.
Love this idea

As do I.
- yd
Ydfalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby ZiggyZoomba » Mon May 24, 2010 4:53 pm

New forum created.... longest thread ever copied over. Life is good.
Grant Cummings
ROLL ALONG!!!
"We are linked to this institution by invisible bonds that do not wither or dissolve." --BGSU President, Dr. Ralph W. McDonald - 1968
ZiggyZoomba
The Wizard of AZZ
The Wizard of AZZ

PreviousNext

Return to Admin