HACKED!!!! And Updated... yeah... no kidding!

Administrative message to and/or from the webmaster.

HACKED!!!! And Updated... yeah... no kidding!

Postby ZiggyZoomba » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:29 pm

So, the site was hacked. Looks like the exploit was in an OLD script I had for managing NCAA tourney brackets from about 5 years ago. *sigh* My bad for having it on the server, but come on... who writes exploits for stuff like that? Anyhow, lesson learned.

Welcome to the phpBB3 based version of Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba.com's message boards! I know, they look a LOT different. There's a few reasons for that. One, the time I had available to make the change; I did the best I could in less than 48 hours to create something very Bowling Green... I like it! Two, there are actually NCAA regulations that prohibit some of the images and graphics that were used in the old site. Kind of like code violations in your house, you're not going to MAKE work to fix them, but if something happens and you have to open up that wall, you're obligated to fix it the right way... up to code. So, that's kind of the approach I've taken here. It IS a work in progress though, and you'll see subtle changes make their way into the site over the next days and weeks.

Next, phpBB3 has some AMAZING new features!! For example...

Uh huh... that's right!!! The new interface for posting provides you with some nice interface changes, and there are LOTS of updates and changes to the "User Control Panel" as well as the private message system. Also the search function actually...well, FUNCTIONS now! It was such a gripe of mine in the last boards, that I used Google instead of the boards' own built in search. Now it should work great internally here. Here's a chart comparing the features of the old system vs. the new system:

http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/

Speaking of Google, it'll take a little while for Google to catch up with the new site and its URLs... so Google results that point to the old site will be redirected here, but probably NOT to the appropriate post. Oh well... you can't win them all.

Please keep an eye on this forum, as I am going to be re-hauling the rest of this site (which is virtually non-existent now) and I'm really going to want your feedback as to what we want to have in our site. We've tried blogs, we've tried podcasts, image galleries, etc... what do you guys want and will you guys use?

Finally, thanks for all the support on Twitter, Facebook and emails over the past 36 hours or so. I have to admit, it's been KIND of fun working in "crisis mode" again. When you're not working, you miss the thrill of being the "IT guy" who gets called on to save the day. :-)
Grant Cummings
ROLL ALONG!!!
"We are linked to this institution by invisible bonds that do not wither or dissolve." --BGSU President, Dr. Ralph W. McDonald - 1968
ZiggyZoomba
The Wizard of AZZ
The Wizard of AZZ

Re: HACKED!!!! And Updated... yeah... no kidding!

Postby ZiggyZoomba » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:32 pm

Oh Geez... I almost forgot... there IS an "ignore button" now... ;-) It's not the easiest thing to find, but it's here. :smt115
Grant Cummings
ROLL ALONG!!!
"We are linked to this institution by invisible bonds that do not wither or dissolve." --BGSU President, Dr. Ralph W. McDonald - 1968
ZiggyZoomba
The Wizard of AZZ
The Wizard of AZZ

Postby BleedOrange » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:28 pm

Hey Grant, I love the new UI. Thanks!

(...already found the "ignore button"... :) )
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby Falconboy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:42 pm

Wow, this is different. Thanks Grant for getting AZZ up and running so fast. Awesome. :D
Anderson Animals!

BG Lady Falcons Mac Champs '05, '06, '07, '08, '09!

Sweet Sixteen '07!

A New Orr-A in Falcon Men Hoops!

BGSU Men's BB-2009 Mac Season Champs!!

ROLL ALONG!!

Falconboy
John Lovett's Successor
John Lovett's Successor

Postby Falcon Fanatic » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:46 pm

THANK YOU!!!! Yes, the look of the site is a B!G change, but to me it only matters that you were able to work your magic and get it back online!!! Can't believe how much I missed it!!!

YOU ROCK, GRANT!!!! :rock: :supz: :prayer: =D> :smt041
"Regarding BGSU, I would think their biggest strength is that they never give up, They never slow down and they battle hard even after the other team scores. We have to be on our game and never, ever take the foot off the gas for a second."
~~USCHO Poster
"BG was relentless. It's like they know that a good first pass on the breakout from a defenseman will almost always result in an odd-man rush against them - but they go in anyway and dare you to make that pass. All three of their goals were just grit and effort. That's a team any fan can be proud to support...they give all they've got."
~~USCHO Poster, AFTER Tech beat us
#NeverGiveUp
#NeverSurrender
#Relentless
#Resiliant
Falcon Fanatic
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby always a falcon » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:05 pm

I read through that entire link and then my brain blew up.

We don't need to know this for the test do we????

Thanks for bringing it back to life.
ROLL ALONG!
always a falcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGFalconfromCincy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:56 pm

Good to have the site back, yesterday was one of the worst days of my life without it :-D
BGSU c/o 2009 & 2013

Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba, because that's how I roll
BGFalconfromCincy
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Ydfalcon » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:06 am

It may take a little getting used to seeing this as Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba.com, but I like it. Interested to see how it will continue to take shape.
- yd
Ydfalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Rightupinthere » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:14 am

Hey, brother. I like the new colors to go with the functionality. It looks very nice.

Excellent job, as always.
"Science doesn’t know everything? Well science KNOWS it doesn’t know everything… otherwise it’d stop."
Dara O'Brian - Comedian
Rightupinthere
Mercenary of Churlishness

Postby Redwingtom » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:37 am

Awesome, if you are old like me but can still somewhat see you will notice a tiny "font increaser" on the top left of the screen to change the size of the text on the page! :rock:
Redwingtom
Redwingtom
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby UK Peregrine » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:10 am

Glad to see the site back as well. For a while there, I thought my service provider had a vendetta against AZZ and BG. ;-)
UK Peregrine
Transcendent Illuminati
Transcendent Illuminati

Postby VDub26Falcon » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:38 am

The site looks GREAT!!! I hadn't been on for a few days due to vacationing and birthday-ing and was shocked when I saw the new site. I had no idea the site was down for a while either. Glad I missed that! But hey, good work Grant, and don't forget about AZZ.com Instant Messaging!!!
Be Special, Be Different, BE Bowling Green - Dino Babers
VDub26Falcon
The Drunken Irish Falcon
The Drunken Irish Falcon

Postby VDub26Falcon » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:22 pm

Oh...Oh...Oh!!! What about a spell-check on the posting part? That would probably help some people. :wink: Also, is there any way you can increase the number of characters allowed in a post? I don't think this is enough...

"Message body:
Enter your message here, it may contain no more than 60000 characters."
Be Special, Be Different, BE Bowling Green - Dino Babers
VDub26Falcon
The Drunken Irish Falcon
The Drunken Irish Falcon

Postby ZiggyZoomba » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:24 pm

VDub26Falcon wrote:Oh...Oh...Oh!!! What about a spell-check on the posting part? That would probably help some people. :wink: Also, is there any way you can increase the number of characters allowed in a post? I don't think this is enough...

"Message body:

Hahahahaha... it was actually 6000 when I installed it. I added the extra zero... sometimes Hammb gets a little long-winded! ;-)
Grant Cummings
ROLL ALONG!!!
ZiggyZoomba
The Wizard of AZZ
The Wizard of AZZ

Postby Rightupinthere » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:11 pm

ZiggyZoomba wrote:
VDub26Falcon wrote:Oh...Oh...Oh!!! What about a spell-check on the posting part? That would probably help some people. :wink: Also, is there any way you can increase the number of characters allowed in a post? I don't think this is enough...

"Message body:

Hahahahaha... it was actually 6000 when I installed it. I added the extra zero... sometimes Hammb gets a little long-winded! ;-)

SOMEtimes?! :mrgreen:
"Science doesn’t know everything? Well science KNOWS it doesn’t know everything… otherwise it’d stop."
Dara O'Brian - Comedian
Rightupinthere

Next

Return to Admin