NCAA Rules and Regulations -- PLEASE READ!!!

Administrative message to and/or from the webmaster.

NCAA Rules and Regulations -- PLEASE READ!!!

Postby ZiggyZoomba » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:51 am

Earlier this year we had an incident with a recruit stopping by a tailgate and grabbing a brat or a dog or something... this was an infraction of NCAA rules and was delt with by the university and the NCAA. In light of this, the following document has been created to explain the responsibilities all of us have as fans/supporters of BGSU athletics. Please read this document!!

http://www.ay-ziggy-zoomba.com/download ... _rules.pdf

I have ALSO modified the Terms and Conditions of membership for Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba.com to include the following paragraph:

You agree to comply with NCAA rules regarding communication with prospects and their families, understanding that electronic communication on a message board with a prospective student-athlete may be considered a violation of such rules and could lead to sanctions affecting the eligibility of a prospect to enroll and participate in athletics at Bowling Green State University. Further, you agree that you will refrain from providing impermissible benefits to prospective student-athletes and agree to contact the BGSU Compliance Office if you have questions about the application of NCAA rules to your actions.

If you do not agree to these terms, please contact me directly and I will remove your account from the system. By continuing to use Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba.com you are agreeing to these amended terms and conditions.

Any questions or discussion of this is to be held in the Admin forum.

Thanks.
Grant Cummings
ROLL ALONG!!!
"We are linked to this institution by invisible bonds that do not wither or dissolve." --BGSU President, Dr. Ralph W. McDonald - 1968
ZiggyZoomba
The Wizard of AZZ
The Wizard of AZZ

Postby Redwingtom » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:36 am

Sorry you had to bear the brunt of this Grant as you really had nothing to do with it.

Please accept my apologies if you experience any limitations in your future/current dealings with anyone at the university.

That being said. Does the university make the potential recruits aware of what is a violation? You certainly can't expect regular fans to be abreast of all the caveats of the convoluted NCAA recruiting rules.
Redwingtom
Redwingtom
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: NCAA Rules and Regulations -- PLEASE READ!!!

Postby Warthog » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:37 am

ZiggyZoomba wrote:Earlier this year we had an incident with a recruit stopping by a tailgate and grabbing a brat or a dog or something... this was an infraction of NCAA rules and was delt with by the university and the NCAA.

Can I ask what the outcome of that was?
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
- Ernest Hemingway
Warthog
Freak Wanna-be!!
Freak Wanna-be!!

Postby 1987alum » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:07 am

Grant:

Sorry to hear about this, G.

Tough restrictions, to say the least.

So ... we can't respond to a message board post by the prospective recruit. What about the recruits family? What if we don't know it's the recruit?

I'm sure you've thought of this - but if and when we have another prospective recruite show up, you might want to have a standard response prepared ... "Dear Prospective Recruit: We're not being rude by not responding, but draconian NCAA rules ... blah, blah blah" just so the kid doesn't think we're being snobby.

And I like this restriction - "any tangible item" ... so the kid and his family stop by a tailgate and he sneezes. Don't offer him a tissue! It's a tangible item! :P

Anyway, good lesson for all of us. On the upside, it shows that this site is the place for those interested in BG to gather.
Hey, look at me! I'm all over the InterWebs!
Facebook ~ Twitter @ CoachKarlPA ~ LinkedIn
1987alum
Noah's Dad
Noah's Dad

Re: NCAA Rules and Regulations -- PLEASE READ!!!

Postby Flipper » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:13 am

Warthog wrote:
ZiggyZoomba wrote:Earlier this year we had an incident with a recruit stopping by a tailgate and grabbing a brat or a dog or something... this was an infraction of NCAA rules and was delt with by the university and the NCAA.

Can I ask what the outcome of that was?

From what I've gathered...nothing of any consequence at all....but still., rules are rules and we have to abide by lest we run the risk of being branded "outlaws" :-)
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Flipper » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:15 am

Oh...apologies to Grant from me as well...I emailed Sid Sink about this and he passed it onto his replacement. I think he also had a copy of the article, but still, I never figured that the NCAA would be involved or anything...I thought they'd just say "cut it out" or something...
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Falconfreak90 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:40 am

Grant,

Thanks for posting the rules and regulations. The NCAA certainly doesn't make it easy but now it's there in black and white. I apologize for what happened and will make every effort to not let it happen again.
Michael W.
BGSU-12 TIME MAC CHAMPION
FALCON FOOTBALL ROCKS!
Falconfreak90
Rubber City Falcon
Rubber City Falcon

Postby BGSUE » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:01 am

Thank you Grant for posting the regs. It's helpful to see them in black & white & know what is correct. I've been around the Women's bball office when a recruit was present--- you just keep your mouth shut & go on.
Sorry you carried the burden. We'll watch so there's no next time.
GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BG __ BG __ BG __ BG __ BG
BGSUE
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby JoeFalcon » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:44 am

Here's a photograph of recruit Terrelle Pryor engaged in communication with a group of Ohio State fans when he attended their recent basketball game. I wonder if their crack compliance department coordinates with the NCAA to dole out comparable penalties.

JoeFalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TG1996 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:53 am

JoeFalcon wrote:Here's a photograph of recruit Terrelle Pryor engaged in communication with a group of Ohio State fans when he attended their recent basketball game. I wonder if their crack compliance department coordinates with the NCAA to dole out comparable penalties.

Man, Cleveland State is REALLY going to feel the hurt from that one! :lol:
"I don't believe I can name a coach, anywhere, anytime, anyhow, who did it better than Doyt Perry."
-1955 BG Assistant Bo Schembechler

BGSUsports.com - Where ESPN.com goes for BG history.
TG1996
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby ZiggyZoomba » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:33 pm

No apologies are necessary from anyone. This info is for the good of the University and is a CYA move on my part as well.

As far as the result of the aforementioned infraction... it really wasn't anything of consequence, but when the university is made aware of an infraction, it is obligated to be upfront and take it to the NCAA.

I really don't think the NCAA has done a good job educating fans such as ourselves how we're allowed to interact with recruits. So we're doing it for them.

Any direct questions about this policy and/or any compliance questions in general should be directed to:

Ryan Squire
Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance and Certification
rsquire (at) bgsu (dot) edu
Grant Cummings
ROLL ALONG!!!
"We are linked to this institution by invisible bonds that do not wither or dissolve." --BGSU President, Dr. Ralph W. McDonald - 1968
ZiggyZoomba
The Wizard of AZZ
The Wizard of AZZ

Postby freefalcon » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:50 pm

I still find it ludicrous that a kid is so excited to be part of a team and stops by a tailgate to meet a few fans gets any reprimand from the NCAA. Amazing
freefalcon
Chick
Chick

Postby hammb » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:52 pm

freefalcon wrote:I still find it ludicrous that a kid is so excited to be part of a team and stops by a tailgate to meet a few fans gets any reprimand from the NCAA. Amazing

Ludicrous? Yes.

Against the rules? Yes.

Yeah the rule is stupid, but we screwed up, and won't let it happen again.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Metz » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:09 am

hammb wrote:Yeah the rule is stupid, but we screwed up, and won't let it happen again.

"We" didn't really screw up. This one is actually all on me and I plan on emailing GC and Ryan in the morning. I invited the prospect over and gave him one of my brats that I had cooking on someone's grill.

"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the project manager, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be."
Metz
Behemoth Falcon!!
Behemoth Falcon!!

Postby Rightupinthere » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:26 am

Metz wrote:
hammb wrote:Yeah the rule is stupid, but we screwed up, and won't let it happen again.

"We" didn't really screw up. This one is actually all on me and I plan on emailing GC and Ryan in the morning. I invited the prospect over and gave him one of my brats that I had cooking on someone's grill.

And we would all go down together
We said we'd all go down together
Yes we would all go down together

Goodnight Saigon
"Science doesn’t know everything? Well science KNOWS it doesn’t know everything… otherwise it’d stop."
Dara O'Brian - Comedian
Rightupinthere
Mercenary of Churlishness
Mercenary of Churlishness

Next

Return to Admin