BG vs Western Michigan

BGSU Women's Basketball!!

BG vs Western Michigan

Postby elmrfudd » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:33 pm

The Falcons’ season comes to a close as the Broncos beat the Falcons 84-67. The Broncos made a total of 15 3-pointers, eleven of which came in the first half. The Falcon defense AGAIN failed to get a hand in the face of WMU’s long range shooters. Most of the Broncos’ baskets, threes and twos alike weren’t even contested. Many of their made threes were in the corner, the corner on Cadie Hempfling’s side of the court. They kept popping one wide open three after another, with no defender within ten feet of them. Why didn’t the BG coaches change something up after WMU made their first three or four bombs? We play the same matchup zone defense ALL THE TIME and it gets no better at stopping the opposition’s offense than a fish net can keep water from going through. Again, Mari Hill and Kailie Hall are glued to the pine, while our starters and bench struggles making inside shots, getting rebounds, turning the ball over, and playing pathetic defense! Could Hall and Hill do any worse? Where is the leadership? I believe that Coach Fralick sees Hempfling as a leader, but true leaders lead by example, not by leading the team in fouls, turnovers, missed layups, and constantly allowing the opposing players to burn you from downtown! Angela Perry, as talented as she is, plays with little toughness or tenacity. AGAIN, we allow the opposing team to roll over us and dictate every aspect of the game! We rarely ever impose OUR will on the opposition, mainly because we are not quick enough, skilled enough, and aggressive enough to take control of the game. Sadly, this all falls on the coaching staff! I really like Coach Fralick, but if what she’s doing is not translating to wins, she needs to change something up. Her and her staff MUST learn how to make these players improve their fundamental skill sets, or every season will be as long and dreadful as her first two. Curt Miller is no longer here to stomp his feet in disapproval of shoddy play, but somebody on this coaching staff needs to do it, and I’m not seeing any players getting their butts chewed! If it doesn’t happen, and nobody lights a fire under these players, nothing will change. With no self-motivation, external motivation, and discipline, this team will continue to spin its wheels in the mud. I’d like to think we have a great coaching staff, but it seems that almost EVERY game we get out-coached and outplayed. If Coach Fralick doesn’t fix these issues within the next two or three seasons, her job security may be walking on thin ice. Just had to vent some! It was frustrating to watch, and I wish Coach Fralick all the best in trying to turn this ship around next season! JMHO
elmrfudd
Chick
Chick

Re: BG vs Western Michigan

Postby RBruns » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:07 am

i agree
Attachments
canvas150.png
canvas150.png (39.98 KiB) Viewed 720 times
RBruns
Egg
Egg

Postby Class of 61 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:34 pm

Based on how many young kids vs vet players plus a large influx of new talent next year, we could be seeing that hoped for turnaround.
Anyone hear if teams best player will be back after injury or not?
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby elmrfudd » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:28 am

Class of 61 wrote:Based on how many young kids vs vet players plus a large influx of new talent next year, we could be seeing that hoped for turnaround.

I have not heard anything about whether Andrea Cecil will return for her final year of eligibility, nor have I heard whether Caterrion Thompson will do the same. If both should return, and providing none of this season’s returnees leave the program, the Falcons will have a total of nineteen players on next year’s roster. That would also include the return of redshirts Molly Dever and Macy Spielman from ACL injuries, along with six incoming freshmen.
In the event we do indeed end up with nineteen players on the roster, in my mind, that’s still too many players. Even if Coach Fralick would play a 10-player rotation, you’d still end up with nine players spending most of their time glued to the bench. That’s also putting a huge burden on the coaching staff by trying to make 19 players more fundamentally sound. As I’ve mentioned in one of my posts back in Coach Roos’ tenure, there’s a young man named Stephen Cramer who teaches basketball skills, both individually and at the team level, even at the college level, and is extremely successful at doing so. His website is www.cramerbasketball.com. The Falcons women’s basketball team would benefit tremendously from Steve’s instruction, as it would fill in the gaps fundamentally by teaching the skills needed to enhance each player’s skill sets that aren’t being developed by existing coaching philosophies. Cramer is a former professional basketball player whose training will make average players into good players, and make good players into great players. What he does for basketball players, regardless of their age or level, is absolutely tremendous! I’ve spoken to him, and I’ve watched him work. I really believe his instruction has the potential to turn the Falcons into a winning program, not to disrupt Coach Fralicks coaching styles or system, but to enhance them and to make them better. I would encourage anyone reading this to check out Mr. Cramer’s website, and you will see what I’m talking about.
So we will just have to wait and see what unfolds for next season, especially with the Covid-19 scare that’s been changing our country recently. Blessings to all as we try to get through these trying times together!
elmrfudd
Chick
Chick

Postby fredthefalcon » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:09 pm

elmrfudd wrote:
Class of 61 wrote:Based on how many young kids vs vet players plus a large influx of new talent next year, we could be seeing that hoped for turnaround.

I have not heard anything about whether Andrea Cecil will return for her final year of eligibility, nor have I heard whether Caterrion Thompson will do the same. If both should return, and providing none of this season’s returnees leave the program, the Falcons will have a total of nineteen players on next year’s roster. That would also include the return of redshirts Molly Dever and Macy Spielman from ACL injuries, along with six incoming freshmen.

Elmr I have a different take on the roster. At season end there were 14 players on the active roster. Women's BB can have 15 schollies as I'm sure you know. We lose Glowniak and Uecker definitely. Cecil and Thompson can go if they choose but assuming they don't we have 12 carryovers + 6 incoming Freshmen for 18. Thus, there has to be 3 more deletions. I believe that Dever is non-scholarship at least for WBB so that takes care of one. So, the reduction will also depend on the severity and lasting impact of injuries to Cecil and Macy Spielman. Also, It is likely that the players that got very few minutes as the season wore on could go elsewhere (Hill and Hall) and it is very possible that a player like Morgan McMillan might opt for a smaller school where she could shine with her 3 point shooting. All in all, a number of possibilities that will not impact a roster being more than the allotted 15.
fredthefalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby fredthefalcon » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:34 pm

Both Thompson and Cecil are in the transfer portal as grad transfers with immediate eligibility. We will see if it happens or not.
fredthefalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby threestooges » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:17 am

fredthefalcon wrote:
elmrfudd wrote:

Elmr I have a different take on the roster. At season end there were 14 players on the active roster. Women's BB can have 15 schollies as I'm sure you know. We lose Glowniak and Uecker definitely. Cecil and Thompson can go if they choose but assuming they don't we have 12 carryovers + 6 incoming Freshmen for 18. Thus, there has to be 3 more deletions. I believe that Dever is non-scholarship at least for WBB so that takes care of one. So, the reduction will also depend on the severity and lasting impact of injuries to Cecil and Macy Spielman. Also, It is likely that the players that got very few minutes as the season wore on could go elsewhere (Hill and Hall) and it is very possible that a player like Morgan McMillan might opt for a smaller school where she could shine with her 3 point shooting. All in all, a number of possibilities that will not impact a roster being more than the allotted 15.

I agree with Fred's take. There would be 18 players if everyone returns, but I would not be at all surprised if Kaillie Hall & Morgan McMillen left. That would put the roster at 16, & I believe that Dever will be non-scholarship next year (I don't know the exact terminology, but I believe she was given a scholarship for '19-20 with the understanding that it was for this year only and she'd be back to non-scholarship status next year).

So, that would enable Cecil and Thompson to return if they choose to return, & assuming the current coaching staff wants them back. I have to think Coach Fralick would be happy to have them back for '20-21, but maybe they want to get a graduate degree in a major that BG doesn't offer, or maybe they just want to test the waters & see if any 'power 5' schools have interest in them. I can think of a lot of reasons why they might return to BG for another year, but I can also think of a lot of reasons why they might want to leave.

No matter what Cecil and Thompson decide, I think we're going to be much better next year. We were very close to many more wins this year, with arguably 2 of our top 3 players (Cecil & Spielman) not playing a single minute, and assuming this staff knows what they're doing on the recruiting trail, I'm guessing some if not all of the newcomers will contribute immediately. I'm looking forward to it!
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Women's Hoops