Woulda, Cuda, Shuda!

BGSU Women's Basketball!!

Woulda, Cuda, Shuda!

Postby factman » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:04 pm

............beat Kent! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Woulda, Cuda, Shuda!

Postby elmrfudd » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:56 pm

I was absolutely impressed with the Falcons’ defense, rebounding, and blazing hot shooting in the first quarter, as we built a quick 19-point lead before the quarter expired. Impressed? Absolutely! Was I comfortable with that huge lead? No way! Our Falcons have a history of self-destruction, especially after building a lead. Where is the killer instinct with this team? The more the Flashes chipped away at our lead, the madder I got. We decided it was time to allow Kent more uncontested layups and wide open threes, while shutting off the spigots to our own offense. On Wednesday against Ohio, Madisen Parker and Olivia Trice combined for 38 points, but today, the two combined for only 4 points, with Parker only getting off one shot the whole game. Another question I have is this: after Elissa Brett sat down on the bench with foul trouble and shoddy play, why was Kadie Hempfling and Morgan McMillan playing point guard and trying to bring the ball up the floor. We have two point guards on the bench, in Mari Hill and Kailie Hall. Why are these two point guards glued to the bench? Hempfling and McMillan are NOT ball handlers, and their constant turnovers prove it. Again, inability to get stops, inability to take care of the ball, and inability to make easy shots at the rim, continue to haunt the Falcons game after game. Again, fundamentals deficiencies! Bad passing, bad defense, bad decision making on offense! As upset as I am that the Falcons choked off their huge lead, I congratulate Caterrion Thompson and Angela Perry on their breakout games, scoring 32 and 24 points, respectively. Also, as I mentioned many times before, missed free throws costs games. We make our foul shots, we win the game! Okay, I’ve vented enough. Just getting tired of seeing this team do the same things and getting the same results! Fundamentals, Coach Fralick, fundamentals! Without good fundamentals, bad things will happen! MY HONEST OPINION.......
elmrfudd
Chick
Chick

Postby RBruns » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:46 am

I watched our lead slowly diminish as Kadie continued her patented dribble drive-spin moves in " the land of the trees", and fail. The whole world knows what she is going to do. Those failed attempts lead to many points by the other team along with the lousy passes and fouls. The assists and rebounds don't make up for those 3 losses because it also changes the momentum of the game. Besides, grabbing her own miss just pads her rebound stats. What Kadie should do in the next game is to jack up the '3' all night (cuz she won't be sat), and when the 4th quarter comes, and she finally hits one, she will be Fralick's hero, (but we still lose).

If Angela attempted some defense there wouldn't be so many uncontested drives and scoring in the paint. Will Angela try to move around some there? We all know clare plays the best defense and even Jane was playing large with her arms and legs out wide. The coaches hardly give them the time of day and they both had started at some point. Do you think we could play 2 bigs at the same time like many of the mac teams that kick our butts? Best of both worlds?? Offense and defense?
Angela has a great touch under the hoop, but she stood there with the ball and an open layup at the end of 2nd OT with a confused look- tooo far to dribble?

By the end of the game we were sucking wind the 2 fastest guards with freshest legs were at the end of the bench- Mari hill and Kaillie hall. Both played early in season, now they don't even hold the water bottles for the starters. Sure they have made some mistakes, but so do the girls out there, and even their stats on the bench were not far behind the girls playing! We were out coached at the end by the simple fact kent rotated some fresh legs in and we gave up.
JMHO.
RBruns
Egg
Egg

Postby elmrfudd » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:49 pm

I agree with pretty much everything you stated, RBruns. You are absolutely not wrong about playing two bigs at the same time. Jane and Angela, defensively, are not very quick to respond to the opposition’s moves in the paint, thus making Clare the best defensive big on the team. Hempfling indeed leads the team in rebounds and assists, but she also leads the team in turnovers, with no other teammate even close behind. As I said, we give up too many easy layups and two many wide open threes. The reason for this is there’s very little movement in the matchup zone defense that Coach Fralick insists on playing. That little 5’1” guard that shadowed Parker the whole game defended her like white on rice, as Parker only launched one shot the whole game. If we could just defend the three ball even half as good as that, we’d win more games. This convinces me that we do not have the team speed and quickness to play a good quality man-to-man defense. It’s also true that the Falcons appeared to be sucking air, which brings to question their possible lack of conditioning. Elissa Brett is the best example of athleticism and hustle on this team, but she has little shot accuracy and plays like a bull in a china shop. Mari Hill started at point most of the season, and Kailie Hall has shown lots of promise the first three games of season, but it looks like their shorts are glued to the bench in favor of turnover-laden Hempfling, Brett, and McMillan bringing the ball up. Regardless, I still very much agree with the decision to hire Fralick, but what she’s doing isn’t resulting in wins. We, as fans, especially those of us who have a good understanding of the game, are not coaches, and we don’t see what goes on in practice. However, we sit in the stands watching, with no pressure to make split second decisions and sub players in and out while doing so with the clocks ticking away. So we see what happens on the floor, and we see why things happen as they do. I also understand that results will not change if the team continues to do the same thing. I also understand that it’s possible that coaches and fans do not see the same things, or at least they see them differently. I really wonder how the coaching staff is working with each individual player to get them to be fundamentally sound in the game of basketball. The season is about over, but this coaching staff needs to take a good look at how they can make these women’s skill sets better, and be bold enough to develop a system that plays into the strengths of theses players, instead of trying to force undeveloped players into a system that’s not producing wins. JMHO
elmrfudd
Chick
Chick

Return to Women's Hoops