BG vs Buffalo

BGSU Women's Basketball!!

BG vs Buffalo

Postby elmrfudd » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:20 pm

Again, the Falcons lose another heartbreaker, as they still can’t seem to shake the fourth quarter albatross that continues to plague them, losing to Buffalo 62-56. We started out hot as a firecracker, building an early fifteen point lead on the Bulls in the first quarter, leading 17-2 at one point. Then Buffalo whittled the lead to a 29-29 tie at the half. The Falcons trailed by two points with 28 seconds to go in regulation, with a chance at pulling off a win or sending the game into overtime. Another Kadie Hempfling turnover with time running down sealed the game for the Bulls.
Elissa Brett started in place of Mari Hill at point guard, and I totally agree with the move. I thought Brett did a very good job at point. The Falcons committed 16 turnovers, 7 of which belonged to Hempfling, including the one that cost the Falcons in the closing seconds. Turnovers, missed layups, and a dismal 4 of 9 from the foul line cost the Falcons the game again. Parker was the only Falcon in double figures with 14, going 4-6 from three point land. Buffalo did not beat the Falcons today. The Falcons, once again, beat themselves. They MUST learn to pass and take care of the ball, they MUST play good defense, and they MUST rebound and make their free throws. They keep doing the same thing every game, to themselves, and the same thing happens.......another loss, and a close one at that. It’s frustrating to continue to watch the Falcons getting in their own way! FUNDAMENTALS, FALCONS! FUNDAMENTALS! Sound fundamentals work! JMHO
elmrfudd
Chick
Chick

Re: BG vs Buffalo

Postby Falconwriter » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:03 pm

elmrfudd wrote:Again, the Falcons lose another heartbreaker, as they still can’t seem to shake the fourth quarter albatross that continues to plague them, losing to Buffalo 62-56. We started out hot as a firecracker, building an early fifteen point lead on the Bulls in the first quarter, leading 17-2 at one point. Then Buffalo whittled the lead to a 29-29 tie at the half. The Falcons trailed by two points with 28 seconds to go in regulation, with a chance at pulling off a win or sending the game into overtime. Another Kadie Hempfling turnover with time running down sealed the game for the Bulls.
Elissa Brett started in place of Mari Hill at point guard, and I totally agree with the move. I thought Brett did a very good job at point. The Falcons committed 16 turnovers, 7 of which belonged to Hempfling, including the one that cost the Falcons in the closing seconds. Turnovers, missed layups, and a dismal 4 of 9 from the foul line cost the Falcons the game again. Parker was the only Falcon in double figures with 14, going 4-6 from three point land. Buffalo did not beat the Falcons today. The Falcons, once again, beat themselves. They MUST learn to pass and take care of the ball, they MUST play good defense, and they MUST rebound and make their free throws. They keep doing the same thing every game, to themselves, and the same thing happens.......another loss, and a close one at that. It’s frustrating to continue to watch the Falcons getting in their own way! FUNDAMENTALS, FALCONS! FUNDAMENTALS! Sound fundamentals work! JMHO

It's very concerning that this team doesn't seem to be progressing. Very, very concerning.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: BG vs Buffalo

Postby elmrfudd » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:27 am

Falconwriter wrote:
It's very concerning that this team doesn't seem to be progressing. Very, very concerning.

Yes, Falconwriter, I am concerned too. I stated that I agree with the move of moving Brett to point guard over Mari Hill. In my opinion, I have not seen a Falcon player with the drive, the hustle, and the tenacity that Elissa displays, since Deborah Hoeskstra. She is a true freshman, and I can see her getting better each season. I would love to see the rest of the team play with the heart she does.
I don’t know what goes on in practice, but making free throws and doing passing drills should be an integral part of practice. They should also work on finishing layups under heavy defensive pressure. I believe Coach Fralick actually believes her team is improving, even if it’s a little bit, from game to game. But if it doesn’t translate into wins, it means nothing. I believe we’ve had at least nine wins each of the previous six years, even with Coach Roos. We still only have eight wins this season, with time running out.
This team must play with the utmost intensity, for a full forty minutes each game, and get good enough to not only learn to play with a lead, but to play good enough to win. It was obvious to me in this game that Coach Fralick wanted to get the ball in the hands of Perry for the last shot. When we had the ball with 28 seconds to go in the game, I predicted to a couple of others sitting nearby that Perry or Hempfling would get called for a foul, or turn the ball over. That’s exactly what happened when Kadie made her errant pass. The problem with Fralick’s call is that the Falcons tried to force a pass that wasn’t there. Also, we do not have anyone on the team I’d call a good passer. Was there a second option if Perry wasn’t open? Who knows? That’s the problem. No go-to players in crunch time, and no leadership on the floor, especially when a called play is disrupted by the defense, with no backup plan. This team lacks drive, hustle, discipline and leadership, and they desperately need a fire lit under them. As I’ve stated many times on this blog, player development is the responsibility of the coaching staff. It’s time to make these ladies better basket players! GO FALCONS!
elmrfudd
Chick
Chick

Return to Women's Hoops