BG vs Miami

BGSU Women's Basketball!!

BG vs Miami

Postby GB68 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:30 pm

BG women lose 80-59. Pathetic. Humiliating. Poor play in every phase of the game.
Both teams with identical records coming in, both in-conference and overall.
GB68
Egg
Egg

Re: BG vs Miami

Postby elmrfudd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:26 am

I think Coach Fralick & Company will have to utilize tough love.... called wind sprints. Most basketball players know that wind sprints are not used for rewarding great play. It’s a tool of understanding that you are not playing with the desire and excellence that’s commanded of you. Curt Miller understood that great play and dominating other teams does NOT come naturally. It must be be taught, it must be driven home, it must be demanded, it must be implemented, and finally, it must be maintained. Make them run until they get the message. Make them run until they get a clear understanding what’s demanded from them. Make them run until they’re as good as they can be, and as good as you expect them to be. Running wind sprints is a language they will understand, if they don’t already. Tough love must be used in attaining excellence, and sadly, it must be used to maintain it. We are not proficient at ANY of these fundamentals:

Finishing layups
Defending the paint
Defending the three
Taking care of the ball (dribbling in traffic)
Making free throws
Rebounding (boxing out)
Passing and catching
Decision making
Leadership
Taking high percentage shots (forcing shots)

Coach, you have to make these ladies proficient at fundamentals. High school caliber basketball will not cut it at the D1 level. The gals have to get better at fundamental skill sets before they improve as a team. There’s great undeveloped talent on this team. It’s time to develop it. MAKE THEM RUN! My honest opinion! GO FALCONS!
elmrfudd
Chick
Chick

Postby RBruns » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:02 pm

I call BS on running them. Roos and her hench crew did that and all they did was puke, come up lame and lose the next games. Nothing accomplished but hurt players. They've been running this marathon non-stop all year. Running is not gonna make them better. Did you forget we have an unproven d2 coach? Maybe experience will cure this.
RBruns
Egg
Egg

Postby FalconTurf » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:48 pm

Fran Voll was an unproven AA HIGH SCHOOL coach. Get the right athletes and go is the key. Unfortunately it's a tougher gig these days since all DI schools are taking it more seriously as well as the girls moving up to the high school ranks making the margin of error much smaller. In the MAC it is in part Fran Voll's fault the other members have made greater efforts to win.

As for running I believe the student-athletes recruited to BGSU are intelligent enough to know they are not getting the job done even without punishment. I don't think taking dessert off their lunch tray or running them like they just joined the Marines will notify them any better than the scoreboard and films.

Coach Fralick was a DI assistant or grad assistant before Ashland if I remember correctly.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby elmrfudd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:52 pm

I appreciate the above opinions very much, and that’s why this blog is great, due to the open expression of thoughts and opinions. Yes, it’s true that our players are intelligent enough to know they’re not getting the job done, but are they intelligent enough to know why other teams are continually getting it done against them? Are they intelligent enough to figure out what they need to do PERSONALLY to compete at this level? I never implied that running a team ragged to the point of nausea and injury was ample punishment for lackluster performance, but just because they’re intelligent adults and college athletes does not mean you have to forego any form of discipline needed to make them better. Whether it’s running wind sprints or any other tool a coach uses to motivate their players to excel, without discipline implemented into the teaching and learning process, they will never improve. Pulling a player from the game for making two quick mistakes teaches them nothing. You train them in practice so they’re not making those mistakes during the game. That includes discipline, and we cannot believe for one moment that a team without discipline will be successful. I, too, believe our players are very intelligent athletes, but that intelligence needs to be converted to playing very smart basketball, and that’s not happening as yet. Let’s get these players to become fundamentally sound first, and the rewards will soon follow! GO FALCONS!
elmrfudd
Chick
Chick

Return to Women's Hoops