BG vs Akron

BGSU Women's Basketball!!

BG vs Akron

Postby elmrfudd » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:12 pm

The Falcons take another heartbreaking defeat, losing against Akron, 76-73, after the Falcons built a thirteen point lead in the second half. The Falcons were their own worst enemy in the fourth quarter, after committing numerous turnovers, and fouls, and struggling to score in the last few minutes of the game. At the same time, we couldn’t get stops and rebounds on the defensive end of the floor. It was painful to watch the Falcons squander another lead in a game they should have won. We have a lot of good talent on this team, especially our younger players, but we have not played good fundamental basketball the last several games. It bothers me that we’re making barely over half our free throws. We struggle with our passing, scoring inside, ball handling, free throws, rebounding, and our inability to get defensive stops. The fundamentals just mentioned are crucial if we want to have a winning team and a winning season. But with severe deficiencies in these fundamentals, it could be another long season unless Coach Fralick & Company rights the ship, and soon. We handed this win to Akron on a silver platter, and it was pathetic. I’m very disappointed that freshman, Kailie Hall, one of the quickest guards and better ball-handlers on the team, didn’t get in the game much in the 2nd half. This team definitely lost as a team, as nearly every BG player that played in the game, participated in the self-destruction. FUNDAMENTALS, FUNDAMENTALS, FUNDAMENTALS!!! Our coaches need to teach them, and our players need to learn them, then execute them. We need to be more polished than what we would see in “barn ball” or a pickup game. Falcons, I believe you have it in you, but it’s high time you start imposing your will against the opposition, rather than allowing the opposition to limit what you do. Get sick and tired of the way you’re playing, put in the work, then fix it! I don’t mean to come off as harsh, but we have to change the way we play if we want different results. Go Falcons!
elmrfudd
Chick
Chick

Re: BG vs Akron

Postby fredthefalcon » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:23 pm

I think part of it is a lack of senior leadership. The two seniors that play are end of the bench role players and Cecil did not play again. At this point I am wondering if a red shirt is a possibility. If so BG will have everyone that plays significant minutes back + Cecil and two other injured players if recovered as well as a full recruiting class.
fredthefalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FanofFalcons » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:51 pm

What is the word on Cecil? I originally heard she was due back at the beginning of the year. Then I heard the foot wasn't healing as planned. I saw Tuesday the boot was off. Hopefully she will be back soon.
FanofFalcons
Egg
Egg

Postby bgbill » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:18 pm

My understanding is the Cecil is redshirted, but there's no BG scholarship available next season.
All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds.
bgbill
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby elmrfudd » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:44 am

We currently have 14 players on the roster, and we’re losing Jane Uecker and Clare Glowniak to graduation, plus we have 6 freshmen commits for next season, which gives us 18 on the roster IF Cecil and Caterrion Thompson use their final year of eligibility with their redshirts. That’s providing Molly Dever and Macy Spielman are healthy returnees following their ACL surgeries this year. Even if Cecil and Thompson leave, there will still be 16 players on a very young team competing for playing time. Of course, that’s only if there are no others who decide to randomly leave the program. We’ll see how it all plays out.
And yes, I agree we have NO senior leadership on this team. The only leadership qualities I’m seeing at all are coming from sophomore Cadie Hempfling. I do see some of those qualities in Brett and Hall, but they’re not quite there yet. The only player on this team I see who wants the ball in their hands at crunch time is McMillan, and that’s scary.
elmrfudd
Chick
Chick

Postby mbenecke » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:48 pm

Same type of thing tonight at Buffalo. Led by 5 with less than 5 left, then gave up a 9-0 run. We'll drop to 0-4 in the MAC.

We have the ability to be in games now, which is progress over where the program was a few years ago.

But we continue to struggle closing games. We went 4 and a half minutes without a bucket in the 4th quarter tonight.

It'll get there. But it's clearly not there yet.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby HoopsFan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:58 pm

These games are painful to watch. Falcons ahead 56-51 at the 4th quarter timeout and got outscored 12-0, hit a 3, then gave up two free throws. FInal Buffalo 65 BG 59.

HoopsFan
HoopsFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: I can see the lights of the Football field from here

Postby Class of 61 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:27 pm

How many losses by 2-3 possessions?
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:55 pm

Class of 61 wrote:How many losses by 2-3 possessions?

3 losses in a row by 6 or less.

Lost to Purdue by 7 after leading at halftime. Lost to Loyola by 8 after leading most of the game. Lost by 8 against San Francisco. Lost by 5 at Valpo after leading late.

We're 7-9, but could very easily be 14-2 if we could have closed those games out.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:52 pm

mbenecke wrote:
Class of 61 wrote:How many losses by 2-3 possessions?

3 losses in a row by 6 or less.

Lost to Purdue by 7 after leading at halftime. Lost to Loyola by 8 after leading most of the game. Lost by 8 against San Francisco. Lost by 5 at Valpo after leading late.

We're 7-9, but could very easily be 14-2 if we could have closed those games out.

I haven't been watching the games, so can anyone assess why the team is collapsing so hard in the last half of the 4th quarter? Are they just panicking at any sort of pressure and giving the ball away?
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:53 pm

Turnovers and can't buy a bucket.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:10 pm

mbenecke wrote:Turnovers and can't buy a bucket.

As noted, youth and alack of leadership/experience. Those are exactly the kinds of games where having experience would help.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 pm

Absolutely. I think it's something they'll grow out of. But right now, we have no idea how to close a game.

I'm confident it will change with more time and experience.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:05 pm

Loss at Toledo this afternoon came the exact same way. Led by 5 with 2:30 left and lost in OT.

This team feels a year away from being able to close games like they need to.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Women's Hoops