@ UAH (2/28-29)

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

Re: @ UAH (2/28-29)

Postby Falconwriter » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:28 am

mbenecke wrote:We got 21 of a possible 24 points in the last 4 series. We can’t act like we’ve been terrible this last month. We just dug a hole a little bit too deep.

I have all the confidence in the world that we’re going to go on the road and win this series.

I think I speak for a lot of BG hockey fans by saying it seems like we go through this same thing most years: losing several games they have no business losing. And because of those losses, they've been in far more difficult positions in the league tourney and/or cost themselves a chance at an at-large bid. It would seem to be a "cultural" thing because we've seen it with teams coached by two different people during the past several years.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:18 pm

Biggest difference this year was goaltending/defense. The WCHA is not filled with many skilled offensive players. We didn’t get as many stops in net as the past few years. Too bad...3rd place was right there for the taking.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby jbakerifm » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:55 am

Falconwriter wrote:
mbenecke wrote:We got 21 of a possible 24 points in the last 4 series. We can’t act like we’ve been terrible this last month. We just dug a hole a little bit too deep.

I have all the confidence in the world that we’re going to go on the road and win this series.

I think I speak for a lot of BG hockey fans by saying it seems like we go through this same thing most years: losing several games they have no business losing. And because of those losses, they've been in far more difficult positions in the league tourney and/or cost themselves a chance at an at-large bid. It would seem to be a "cultural" thing because we've seen it with teams coached by two different people during the past several years.

It is a culture problem that I hoped Ty would fix when he took over. Too many winnable games that we don't show up ready to play or can't finish. We do just fine against the best teams. We do very poorly against bad teams. I am extremely disappointed with this season so far. Maybe they will turn it up in the playoffs - maybe not. But no matter what they squandered a good first half of the season.
jbakerifm
Chick
Chick

Postby AZIce » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:48 pm

The biggest issue this year was the goaltending drop off. Save % just above .900 is not very good in today's college game.

We gave up the same number of shots against as Bemidji did. 887.
They stopped .927 and we stopped .896. There's your difference between 2nd and 5th.

Friday was a good example....3 goals on 17 shots. Just not good enough.
To me 2 of the 3 were soft goals. Pucks that just leak though. McKay faced 11 and 19 shots from UAH the week before and gave up ZERO........

We took the 2nd most shots in the country behind Penn State and were 9th in the country in scoring.....so we scored enough, just didn't stop enough pucks.

Hopefully one of them gets hot in the playoffs. I do know if we get the same .900 save % in the playoffs, we'll be home pretty quick.
AZIce
Chick
Chick

Postby pdt1081 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:08 pm

AZIce wrote:The biggest issue this year was the goaltending drop off. Save % just above .900 is not very good in today's college game.

They stopped .927 and we stopped .896. There's your difference between 2nd and 5th.

To me 2 of the 3 were soft goals. Pucks that just leak though. McKay faced 11 and 19 shots from UAH the week before and gave up ZERO........

We took the 2nd most shots in the country behind Penn State and were 9th in the country in scoring.....so we scored enough, just didn't stop enough pucks.

Hopefully one of them gets hot in the playoffs. I do know if we get the same .900 save % in the playoffs, we'll be home pretty quick.

There's one thing missing. The amount of shots from within the faceoff dots. I'm willing to bet 90% of BG's shots came outside the faceoff dots. Whereas they allowed a majority of shots from within the dots. BG's offensive strategy has been rubber on net from wherever. It works, but the shooting percentage is low. They allow other teams to work the puck down low, and inside, as well as turn over a crap load of pucks in front of their own net. This is not the same defense as last year.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:28 pm

pdt1081 wrote:
AZIce wrote:The biggest issue this year was the goaltending drop off. Save % just above .900 is not very good in today's college game.

There's one thing missing. The amount of shots from within the faceoff dots. I'm willing to bet 90% of BG's shots came outside the faceoff dots. Whereas they allowed a majority of shots from within the dots. BG's offensive strategy has been rubber on net from wherever. It works, but the shooting percentage is low. They allow other teams to work the puck down low, and inside, as well as turn over a crap load of pucks in front of their own net. This is not the same defense as last year.

I was going to post a thought that when goaltending fails, often it's actually the defense that's a problem, not the goaltender.
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:34 pm

I would agree - it's been a combination of both mediocre defense (at times) and somewhat inconsistent goaltending. I also wish we could buy a timely goal or two on a consistent basis.

We don't have bad players - not by any means. We just need to be more consistent in every aspect of the game. I hope that starts up this weekend.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:54 pm

I sat in the Huntington Center watching our defense leave an RIT guy wide open in the slot. He subsequently buries the OT GWG. I said to myself, "It's early, the coaches will clean that up." They haven't. Time-after-time we leave guys unchecked in front and time-after-time it leads to backbreaking goals. I'm OK if we get beat on a 2-on-1 because we're fiercely forechecking, but we're getting beat on 2-on-1's and not pressuring the initial outlet pass. I thought Craggs was the biggest loss from last year but after watching this defense I wondering if it's really Pohlkamp and MacDonald.

It's on everyone's mind so I'll ask it...is it coaching? Is Curtis up for this?
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:45 am

TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:I sat in the Huntington Center watching our defense leave an RIT guy wide open in the slot. He subsequently buries the OT GWG. I said to myself, "It's early, the coaches will clean that up." They haven't. Time-after-time we leave guys unchecked in front and time-after-time it leads to backbreaking goals. I'm OK if we get beat on a 2-on-1 because we're fiercely forechecking, but we're getting beat on 2-on-1's and not pressuring the initial outlet pass. I thought Craggs was the biggest loss from last year but after watching this defense I wondering if it's really Pohlkamp and MacDonald.

It's on everyone's mind so I'll ask it...is it coaching? Is Curtis up for this?

How many seasons does it take to fairly evaluate a new coach? I honestly don't know; but it would seem to vary. If BG continues to have this same issue next season, then you have to wonder.
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:03 am

Falconwriter wrote:
How many seasons does it take to fairly evaluate a new coach? I honestly don't know; but it would seem to vary. If BG continues to have this same issue next season, then you have to wonder.

There is always a regression when an assistant coach moves to the Head coaching position. The addition of two new assistant coaches adds to that.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby unfalconbelievable » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:22 pm

Planning on listening to the game tonight.

Been some interesting developments that could happen. With a superior W tonight, another W tomorrow and Techs getting ready to go to a 3rd OT, if they get the W and BG wins. We host next weekend. Go Falcons,
unfalconbelievable
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby unfalconbelievable » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:40 pm

Tech won in 3OT, to complete the sweep on northern.
Part 1 done.

Part 2, we.need to Win tonight
unfalconbelievable
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Hockey