CCHA Name Returns in 2021

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

Re: CCHA Name Returns in 2021

Postby mbenecke » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:33 pm

Wasn't sure where to put this, but with the CCHA being the future, here's some more future news:

In 2025, BGSU will host an NCAA tournament regional up in Toledo at the Huntington Center. It'll be the first time we've hosted since 2013.

If we make the tournament that year, we'll be right up the road in Toledo - that place would be PACKED with orange and brown!
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:10 pm

That's good news about hosting NCAA games in Toledo. Between Bowling Green and some of the other hockey programs in this region, I would think there is a good chance of putting some butts in seats.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:49 pm

This is exciting news. We did not fare too well hosting in 2013; hopefully we figure out how to do better though the driver is having the right mix of teams. Loading up the midwest regional with a bunch of HE/ECAC teams doesn't bode well. Ideal would be from a pool of BG, OSU/UM/MSU, Western Michigan. I'm leaving Miami State out of the mix.

If my time gazintas are accurate, there are currently no skaters on the team who will have eligibility for the 2024-25 season (I'm not taking Covid into account) so we're looking at completely turning the roster by then. Hopefully next year's recruiting class is a good one!
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Critical Thinker » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:17 pm

Interestingly, it'll be the first regional in the Midwest since 2017 when it was in Cincinnati. Arenas struggle to make money off of these weekends to the point where no one around here has even bothered to apply. I wonder what made this desirable again.

Fascinatingly, a 2024 regional is scheduled to be in a St. Louis suburb hosted by Lindenwood. Not sure what they're thinking.
Critical Thinker
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby TommyG » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:19 am

Hockey needs to drop the regional format and play best 2 of 3 at home rinks for 2 rounds. Makes way more sense than playing in front of nobody at a neutral site. Keep frozen four as is and run a profitable tournament.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby threestooges » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:20 pm

TommyG wrote:Hockey needs to drop the regional format and play best 2 of 3 at home rinks for 2 rounds. Makes way more sense than playing in front of nobody at a neutral site. Keep frozen four as is and run a profitable tournament.

I agree. You could also have the top 4 seeds each host a 4-team regional. Either way, having the first two rounds at a home site definitely increases the chances for a well-attended event.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:23 pm

threestooges wrote:
TommyG wrote:Hockey needs to drop the regional format and play best 2 of 3 at home rinks for 2 rounds. Makes way more sense than playing in front of nobody at a neutral site. Keep frozen four as is and run a profitable tournament.

I agree. You could also have the top 4 seeds each host a 4-team regional. Either way, having the first two rounds at a home site definitely increases the chances for a well-attended event.

Link to last year's discussion on USCHO over "The Absurdity of the Current Regional System."

https://fanforum.uscho.com/forum/colleg ... -discussed
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Hockey