CCHA Name Returns in 2021

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

Re: CCHA Name Returns in 2021

Postby pdt1081 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:01 am

mbenecke wrote:Any idea when we might hear news on St. Thomas?

Not until after they hear back from the NCAA about skipping D2. I believe they are appealing the denial right now. I'm not sure as I haven't followed all that closely.

I'll say it now, when everything shakes out, the CCHA will have 10 teams, the current 7 plus Huntsville, St Thomas, and one Alaska team. My guess is Fairbanks will lose hockey, even though they have had the better results in the last 10 years. The travel into and out of Anchorage is much more desirable than Fairbanks.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGFalconfromCincy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:15 am

A decision on St. Thomas' wavier to skip D2 and go straight to D1 is expected in April
BGSU c/o 2009 & 2013

Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba, because that's how I roll
BGFalconfromCincy
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:56 pm

pdt1081 wrote:
mbenecke wrote:Any idea when we might hear news on St. Thomas?

Not until after they hear back from the NCAA about skipping D2. I believe they are appealing the denial right now. I'm not sure as I haven't followed all that closely.

I'll say it now, when everything shakes out, the CCHA will have 10 teams, the current 7 plus Huntsville, St Thomas, and one Alaska team. My guess is Fairbanks will lose hockey, even though they have had the better results in the last 10 years. The travel into and out of Anchorage is much more desirable than Fairbanks.

Just curious why you think this? I definitely think St. Thomas makes sense, but isn't one of the reasons Huntsville is being left out is their lack of competitiveness?
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGDrew » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:19 pm

I’ve heard they’re fine launching the league with seven programs, and there was no interest in bringing on the teams left in the WCHA.
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:39 pm

pdt1081 wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:(If they do this right, maybe NCHC could even get the WCHA name back. Who knows?)

The Men's WCHA is dead. The NCHC teams had the chance to pick and choose members of the WCHA adminstration to take with them. They took none. Remember, what was left of the WCHA voted to extend the contract of Commissioner McLeod, instead of terminating him like the NCHC schools wanted to.

Given this imminent death, perhaps the NCHC could grab the name, conference logo, etc. That's all I'm saying.

It might be that most NCHC schools prefer their new conference branding. I honestly don't know.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby pdt1081 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:40 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:Just curious why you think this? I definitely think St. Thomas makes sense, but isn't one of the reasons Huntsville is being left out is their lack of competitiveness?

Just a hunch. The previous implosion had a lot to do with the administration of the league, and it's starting to sound like that is playing a role this time around also. Given the unstable atmosphere in Alaska and the somewhat continued aura around Huntsville, it makes sense to me.

Schadenfreude wrote:Given this imminent death, perhaps the NCHC could grab the name, conference logo, etc. That's all I'm saying.

It might be that most NCHC schools prefer their new conference branding. I honestly don't know.

The WCHA will still exist as a women's league. The investment has been made in the NCHC branding, and given the current "status" if the WCHA I'm the hockey world, it would be a very unwise move to try to revive it. The CCHA went away because a few certain teams panicked and jumped ship as soon as the offer was extended. There are currently more former CCHA schools in the WCHA than pre-alignment WCHA members.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:02 am

This is a chance to eliminate the extreme travel to Alaska and Huntsville (especially for Minnesota and UP teams. It would be a mistake to invite those teams back in. Sucks for the programs left out, but sometimes tough decisions have to be made.

The Big 10 hockey conference was a mistake for both the schools and college hockey in general, but they aren’t breaking that up in the future. The teams in the new CCHA are hoping this move leads to more respect nationally, but it’s going to be the same 2nd tier league with below avg skill players. When Hastings leaves Mankato and they take a step back, it’ll be even worse. The only thing that makes this move better than the current situation is removing the extreme travel and D3 caliber teams in Anchorage and Huntsville.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby Bgsu2016 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:04 pm

There is no D2 in the NCAA guys.

Also the Big Ten HAD to be formed. It was not a choice, Big Ten rules mandate that if 6 schools have the sport that they have to play in the Big 10
Bgsu2016
Egg
Egg

Postby mbenecke » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:12 pm

I would love if we could get the CCHA on ESPN+ for streaming purposes. We already look to them for basketball and football broadcasts, so it would be nice for us to have them all in one spot. It's much cheaper than Flo, and I would bet anything the stream quality couldn't possibly be worse. They have a deal with the ECAC, so it's definitely something that appears possible, to me.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby rood » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:02 pm

Bgsu2016 wrote:There is no D2 in the NCAA guys.

Actually, the Northeast 10 Conference is D2 and has seven men's teams. There is no D2 national championship as they are the only ones that play at the D2 level. They are not eligible for either the D1 or D3 tournaments.
I love people who can laugh at themselves. It saves me the effort.
rood
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:29 pm

rood wrote:
Bgsu2016 wrote:There is no D2 in the NCAA guys.

Actually, the Northeast 10 Conference is D2 and has seven men's teams. There is no D2 national championship as they are the only ones that play at the D2 level. They are not eligible for either the D1 or D3 tournaments.

They are eligible to play for the D1 championship, but do not declare intentions to do so.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby rood » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:52 pm

So if they declared their intent to compete at the D1 level in hockey they would be eligible for the D1 tournament. If they declared that intent, they would no longer be a D2 hockey conference. They aren't included in the PWR and according to the NCAA's website only teams in the PWR are considered for the championship.

The fact remains: They are not eligible for the D1 Championship.

And my point that there IS D2 hockey stands regardless of how you want to interpret their tournament eligibility.
I love people who can laugh at themselves. It saves me the effort.
rood
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Hockey