CCHA Name Returns in 2021

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

CCHA Name Returns in 2021

Postby BGFalconfromCincy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:15 pm

BG and the six others leaving the WCHA after next season will name their new conference the Central Collegiate Hockey Association

https://bgsufalcons.com/news/2020/2/18/ ... 21-22.aspx
BGSU c/o 2009 & 2013

Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba, because that's how I roll
BGFalconfromCincy
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: CCHA Name Returns in 2021

Postby Schadenfreude » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:20 pm

Wow. So no word on an eighth, I take it.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller

Postby Hockey John » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:37 pm

Glad to have the CCHA back.
Hockey John
Chick
Chick

Postby BGDrew » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:44 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:Wow. So no word on an eighth, I take it.

Still a lot of balls in the air at this point. I think St. Thomas’ moving to division one is the number one target at this point as the eighth.
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:14 pm

I'm so fired up about this.

So much to discuss. 8th member? What happens to the other 3 WCHA programs, and the WCHA altogether? What will the tournament format be like - the old CCHA setup or the more modern campus sites format?

Lots of questions to be answered. Exciting times ahead!
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:26 pm

BGDrew wrote:

Still a lot of balls in the air at this point. I think St. Thomas’ moving to division one is the number one target at this point as the eighth.

Anything you can share about the other MAC schools? I get the sense Western is Nacho-locked for the long term (they're actually having success in that league). Miami State?
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Critical Thinker » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:36 pm

TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:
BGDrew wrote:

Anything you can share about the other MAC schools? I get the sense Western is Nacho-locked for the long term (they're actually having success in that league). Miami State?

Isn't the Nacho exit fee still in the neighborhood of $1 million? That alone would prevent a MACtion reunion.
Critical Thinker
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:59 pm

Critical Thinker wrote:
TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:
BGDrew wrote:

Isn't the Nacho exit fee still in the neighborhood of $1 million? That alone would prevent a MACtion reunion.

Something like $1.5M. But Mankato wants in so a "We'll trade you a Mankato for a Miami State straight up" might negate that. And if you're the Nachos, you come out ahead. MSU helps the Nacho pairwise (substantially), they're smack dab in the middle of the Nacho footprint, and their fans would travel to the Frozen Faceoff in ways Miami State fans never would. So one would think that waving the exit fee in a trade such as this shouldn't be a holdup.
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:39 pm

I can tell you the Michigan fans are jealous. They're not liking Big Ten hockey and it seems most of the Big Ten feels the same. It seems Michigan, MSU, and OSU all have better rivalries with each other and the old CCHA than they do with Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Penn State.

And of course I'm happy with this. No more Alaska trips. A solid conference where many of the teams have been in the top ten polls at one time or another in the last few years.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:50 pm

TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:Something like $1.5M. But Mankato wants in so a "We'll trade you a Mankato for a Miami State straight up" might negate that. And if you're the Nachos, you come out ahead. MSU helps the Nacho pairwise (substantially), they're smack dab in the middle of the Nacho footprint, and their fans would travel to the Frozen Faceoff in ways Miami State fans never would. So one would think that waving the exit fee in a trade such as this shouldn't be a holdup.

Bemidji State and Minnesota State for Miami and Western Michigan would also be favorable, although less so.

Bottom line: Everyone has to want the change.

(If they do this right, maybe NCHC could even get the WCHA name back. Who knows?)
Schadenfreude

Postby pdt1081 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:15 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:(If they do this right, maybe NCHC could even get the WCHA name back. Who knows?)

The Men's WCHA is dead. The NCHC teams had the chance to pick and choose members of the WCHA adminstration to take with them. They took none. Remember, what was left of the WCHA voted to extend the contract of Commissioner McLeod, instead of terminating him like the NCHC schools wanted to.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:45 pm

MarkL wrote:
And of course I'm happy with this. No more Alaska trips. A solid conference where many of the teams have been in the top ten polls at one time or another in the last few years.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch...
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:39 pm

Can’t wait to see the 3rd place trophy for the CCHA...although we may not be good enough to finish 3rd by the time this thing starts up.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby BGDrew » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:18 am

TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:
BGDrew wrote:

Nothing on the record unfortunately. The best I can share is both teams are expected to remain in the NCHC for the foreseeable future.

I think St. Thomas will have an open invitation to be the eighth program if they choose to continue their hockey program. Even if their division one petition is denied, they’ll still be allowed to “play up” in D1 hockey since there isn’t a D2 national tournament. The biggest issue for them is they lack a suitable D1 rink. Then again, their endowment is half a billion dollars.
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:27 am

Any idea when we might hear news on St. Thomas?
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Hockey