50th Anniversary and Arena Renovation Plans

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

50th Anniversary and Arena Renovation Plans

Postby mbenecke » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:07 pm

On February 22, the athletic department has decided to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the BGSU hockey program. It will also be senior night.

In the announcement, they mentioned that the plans for the future of the ice arena's renovations will be unveiled at the conclusion of the game. This is VERY exciting news to me, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Also, BGSUHockey.com mentioned on Twitter that we will be wearing throwback uniforms for that game and that they are planning to bring back the organ for that night.

Should be a really fun one. Perhaps we could push this and try to sell the place out?

Let me know your thoughts/predictions below.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: 50th Anniversary and Arena Renovation Plans

Postby Critical Thinker » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:57 pm

I'll be interested to see what the arena plans are. From the last renderings we saw, I liked the idea of suites up around the south end, but the redone entry looked like a costly piece of junk that will look dated the instant oldly shaped glass boxes fall out of fashion.

As for the throwback jerseys, do we know if these are new, or are they the creme colored ones we've had in recent years?
Critical Thinker
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby mbenecke » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:03 pm

From what I've heard, the creams are retired. These are actual throwbacks of some kind.

I also heard we will have new creams for next year, but we'll see.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby It's the Journey... » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:42 pm

The organ should be at EVERY game. We rely too much on a DJ at our athletic events. We have a great marching band and athletic band. They should be the primary music at as many games as possible.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:37 pm

Wonder if they’ll be adding a bigger 3rd place trophy case for display at the arena.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby unfalconbelievable » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:24 pm

TommyG wrote:Wonder if they’ll be adding a bigger 3rd place trophy case for display at the arena.

You must have access to more of the campus then some of us, would you be able tell us where these 3rd place trophies are located so we can visit where another one would be going that you keep referencing.
unfalconbelievable
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:17 pm

unfalconbelievable wrote:
TommyG wrote:Wonder if they’ll be adding a bigger 3rd place trophy case for display at the arena.

You must have access to more of the campus then some of us, would you be able tell us where these 3rd place trophies are located so we can visit where another one would be going that you keep referencing.

Request: if you're going to respond to the village idiot, please try not to quote him. That keeps those of us who have him on block from reading his inane posts. Thanks.
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:48 pm

TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:Request: if you're going to respond to the village idiot, please try not to quote him. That keeps those of us who have him on block from reading his inane posts. Thanks.

+1
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby unfalconbelievable » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:33 pm

Fair enough, understand 1000%. No explanation needed.

Stay positive and Go Falcons.
unfalconbelievable
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby AZIce » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:06 pm

From a guy who remembers when the North end couldn't be changed because then President Moore would lose his indoor tennis court...yes that was a real thing. :roll:

To being in school when the North end was finally added.

Anything they can do to bring the place forward and give it a facelift is great. I don't think a new facility is feasible anytime soon, so I'll take what we can get done.
AZIce
Chick
Chick

Postby TommyG » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:36 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:
TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:Request: if you're going to respond to the village idiot, please try not to quote him. That keeps those of us who have him on block from reading his inane posts. Thanks.

+1

+2
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby jbakerifm » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:51 pm

Was really hoping they could expand the small ice to a full sheet. From a community perspective that would be way more valuable than suites. We were in Oxford last weekend for a tournament. Setting aside their fancy barn (who cares) I realized what an asset being able to host tournaments in BG would be. I also wonder what boost we would get in the older youth hockey and high school numbers if they didn't have to practice so late at night.
jbakerifm
Chick
Chick

Postby BGDrew » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:04 pm

Things can always change, but last I heard is the renovations will be phased. The first phase is the suites and club seating in the south end. There’s already an anchor gift so that should be getting underway relatively soon.

The next phase would be a new lobby, concourse, and press box. The final phase would be a training center which would include another sheet of ice. These two phases are all dependent on how much money is raised.
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:31 pm

BGDrew wrote:Things can always change, but last I heard is the renovations will be phased. The first phase is the suites and club seating in the south end. There’s already an anchor gift so that should be getting underway relatively soon.

The next phase would be a new lobby, concourse, and press box. The final phase would be a training center which would include another sheet of ice. These two phases are all dependent on how much money is raised.

Drew,

If it gets underway soon, should we expect it to potentially be finished by the start of next season? I have no real concept of how long this type of stuff would take, and I'm obviously pretty excited for the "finished product" after phase 1.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:56 pm

mbenecke wrote:
Drew,

If it gets underway soon, should we expect it to potentially be finished by the start of next season? I have no real concept of how long this type of stuff would take, and I'm obviously pretty excited for the "finished product" after phase 1.

Depending on the depth of detail, I would expect construction bids returned and awarded within a month for that to happen. Ordering materials for the job will take a bit of time as everywhere is busy right now. I would guess you're looking at about 4 months for construction.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Hockey