vs. Minnesota State (1/17-1/18)

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

Re: vs. Minnesota State (1/17-1/18)

Postby mbenecke » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:58 pm

We knew the schedule was going to be rough in January, and it has been.

Still 10 games left before the playoffs, and after the Bemidji series, we have:
2 vs. Anchorage (4-14-4)
2 @ Fairbanks (13-12-1)
2 vs. Ferris (6-17-2)
2 @ UAH (1-19-4)

Those don't help our PWR at all, but it does provide an opportunity for a significant boost to our WCHA position and win total. I'm still fairly confident we can win 20 games and have home ice in the first round.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Bgsu2016 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:02 pm

Minnesota State was one of the best teams I've ever watched in person. BG is hampered by the fact they really lack true shooters, the shooting ability of the Mavericks was so obviously better than BG's you had to watch helplessly.

The lack of shooting is killing BG because they're asking more of their defenders offensively which opens us up to potential odd man rushes.
Bgsu2016
Egg
Egg

Postby AZIce » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:10 pm

Those don't help our PWR at all, but it does provide an opportunity for a significant boost to our WCHA position and win total. I'm still fairly confident we can win 20 games and have home ice in the first round.

At this point why would they want home ice? They play much better on the road. 7 losses at home, including getting swept back to back complete with two choke jobs....

The only way they make the NCAA's now is to win the WCHA playoff and the odds of beating MSU in a one game playoff in Mankato this year are extremely low. They are far better than everyone else in the WCHA this year.

So the season is pretty much a bust.....the rest of the games are pretty meaningless at this point. They squandered the early season quality wins....although not sure Western and Notre Dame are even that good at this point. Both appear to be just as average as BG is.

Might be a good time to get Rose some playing time between the pipes and see what we got there. Dop is just as inconsistent as the rest of the team. Looks good one period, average the next. Makes some nice stops then gives up a softy.

Guess blaming Bergeron for the inconsistency can stop now......
AZIce
Chick
Chick

Postby pdt1081 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:25 pm

AZIce wrote:
The only way they make the NCAA's now is to win the WCHA playoff and the odds of beating MSU in a one game playoff in Mankato this year are extremely low. They are far better than everyone else in the WCHA this year.

I'll admit it wasn't able to watch all of each game this past weekend. But, based on what I was able to see, Mankato is not as good as their record indicates. They will not make it past the first round of the NCAA tournament again this year. BG, Northern, and even Tech have a much better chance of being successful in the NCAA tournament than Mankato does.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:52 pm

pdt1081 wrote:
AZIce wrote:

I'll admit it wasn't able to watch all of each game this past weekend. But, based on what I was able to see, Mankato is not as good as their record indicates. They will not make it past the first round of the NCAA tournament again this year. BG, Northern, and even Tech have a much better chance of being successful in the NCAA tournament than Mankato does.

Please explain? While I agree they are not a top 10 team, they are clearly stronger and faster than every other WCHA team. Not to mention a solid goalie who is consistent night to night.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby AZIce » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:56 pm

I watched both games start to brutal finish. They are much faster than BG, or anyone we have played this year. They also are much more skilled than BG. They bury chances that BG forwards shoot wide or over the net. Dryden is so aggressive, comes out 2-3 feet on top of the crease regualry and leaves almost nothing to shoot at. He can do this because he knows their D has picked guys up and nobody is sitting back door wide open.

BG lost Saturday because after we chased them all around the rink for 6 periods we were gassed and the tank was below E by the OT period. We had to raise our game to their level, you can only play over your heads for so long and then you crash. MSU just plays at that level. That's their every day game. Pretty much at anytime they could hem us in and control the play when they really wanted to. They just toyed with us in the 3rd on Friday. They did not even attempt to score, just sat back in a 2-3 trap, sitting on the lead and still all we got out of the period was a 1-1 tie after the empty netter.

The NMU weekend you could say BG actually outplayed Northern in those games, Nolan Kent just played well and they capitalized on every BG mistake.

Not the case this past weekend, MSU was clearly they better team and still were even after Michaelis was injured. Last year the gap was smaller between the teams. This year they are better than last and were are worse.

MSU will be a 1 or 2 seed and certainly have a good shot to end their NCAA failures in the regional.
Not sure what you are seeing in NMU or Tech that translates to NCAA success. They are both just as average as BG is. Those teams have a combined 1 win against MSU so far and that was an NMU win in which McKay didn't start and Nolan Kent stood on his head with 30+ saves.
AZIce
Chick
Chick

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:26 am

AZIce wrote:

I watched both games start to brutal finish. They are much faster than BG, or anyone we have played this year. They also are much more skilled than BG. They bury chances that BG forwards shoot wide or over the net. Dryden is so aggressive, comes out 2-3 feet on top of the crease regualry and leaves almost nothing to shoot at. He can do this because he knows their D has picked guys up and nobody is sitting back door wide open.

BG lost Saturday because after we chased them all around the rink for 6 periods we were gassed and the tank was below E by the OT period. We had to raise our game to their level, you can only play over your heads for so long and then you crash. MSU just plays at that level. That's their every day game. Pretty much at anytime they could hem us in and control the play when they really wanted to. They just toyed with us in the 3rd on Friday. They did not even attempt to score, just sat back in a 2-3 trap, sitting on the lead and still all we got out of the period was a 1-1 tie after the empty netter.

The NMU weekend you could say BG actually outplayed Northern in those games, Nolan Kent just played well and they capitalized on every BG mistake.

Not the case this past weekend, MSU was clearly they better team and still were even after Michaelis was injured. Last year the gap was smaller between the teams. This year they are better than last and were are worse.

MSU will be a 1 or 2 seed and certainly have a good shot to end their NCAA failures in the regional.
Not sure what you are seeing in NMU or Tech that translates to NCAA success. They are both just as average as BG is. Those teams have a combined 1 win against MSU so far and that was an NMU win in which McKay didn't start and Nolan Kent stood on his head with 30+ saves.

I can't disagree with a single comment you made. Mankato was so much faster. And like you said, it was by a significant margin. The road to the Maple Syrup Trophy goes through Mankato. It feels like we stand a better chance against them in a 2-for-3 series than we do in a single winner-take-all game. Maybe we should aim for fourth...
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Hockey