WCHA Pick 'Em 2019-2020

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

Re: WCHA Pick 'Em 2019-2020

Postby mbenecke » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:54 am

Praying hard for this win. Lol. Good luck to MTUHuskyGold.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:12 am

What a finish! Lots to get to. First off, congrats to Scrum Bucket for being the week 21 winner with 36 of 40 points going 9-for-10 on the picks and 9-for-10 on the bonus. There were 114 SOGs in the final round of the Governor's Cup; in addition to Scrum Bucket, Drumstix, GoNanooks, and Hockey John each picked up 9 bonus points:

Code: Select all
Player          Bonus
Drumstix          9
GoNanooks         9
Hockey John       9
Scrum Bucket      9
puckdude40        8
<3_Blizzard       6
MSUMaverickFan    5
GIWAN             4
Manurespreader    4
Stauber1          3
Wi.HuskiesFan     1

While MTUHuskyGold mounted a late charge, it wasn’t enough to overtake our very own mbenecke who is the 2019-2020 MacNaughton Cup winner! Congratulations mbenecke!! Bring a copy of this post to Rev’s and receive $1.00 off any appetizer. Roll Along you BG Warrior! At least we got some sort of good news from the weekend…

Now to the Mason Cup which, as it turns out, is not without some controversy. I had the race down to two players: sonofcrossjcek and MavHockey14. But I was wrong. WAAAYYYY wrong. Because by going 9-for-10 on this week’s picks, Scrum Bucket drew 3 to an inside straight and has captured the Mason Cup! I do want to give a special call out to sonofcrossjcek who made a gallant effort and hopefully will be back next year.

Congratulations to our winners.

Final regular season standings and playoff seeding:
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:13 am

The field is set, it’s now playoff time. I want to remind our two alternates, Laker Dude and footballguy51 that submitting picks is encouraged. You’re not out of this thing just yet.

Here’s a link to the playoff rules In short, submit your picks for the first two rounds, unless I stay up late I’ll post first round results early Saturday morning so you can see if you advance while having your morning coffee. One more thing: since we are now heads up the link to the detailed picks will not be available until everyone’s picks are in.

You’ve done this for 21 weeks; you know how it works.

Rounds 1 and 2
View response summaries

TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:09 pm

Cinch ‘em up footballguy51, it looks like you’re in this thing!
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:08 am

First round of the playoffs is complete. All of the higher seeded players lost with the exception of Drumstix, Scrum Bucket, and hawerchuck who out-tied the other three players 10-10-10-10 in the Fairbanks play-in game. Highest scoring player in the first round was Icd80 with 16 who along with Drumstix, John J. MacInnes, and Bronco Hockey Fan correctly picked the winners of all 4 games. TUPD led the way with 4 of 5 bonus points, however, Icd80 also had 4 bonus points which was more than enough to tip the match in their favor.

Once again an alternate was needed as footballguy51 was called in as a replacement against Drumstix who prevailed 12-9. in other matchups, Bronco Hockey Fan outlasted SweeneyHawksHockey 14-12, sonofcrossjcek put the hammer down on Wi.HuskiesFan 12-8 and GoNanooks took out Soulbeaver 11-7. potternmu took a hatchet to Hatch_man 12-9, geezer bested MavHockey14, and gochiefs left walktheline singing the Folsom Prison Blues 11-9. And as a former men's league defenseman I'm more than familiar with the hockey reference but every time I see that screen name I can't keep Johnny Cash tunes out of my head. Lastly, mikeeddy19 outtied MSUMaverickFan and John J. MacInnes outlasted kckrieg84

The Sweet 16 is set, second round starts tonight, everybody's picks are in.

TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:01 am

While we await tonight's LSSU/BSU rubber match, let's recap Round 2. All of the 4 top seeds advance to the quarterfinals. mbenecke, MTUHuskyGold, and puckdude40 claimed outright wins over mikeeddy19, Scrum Bucket, and hawerchuck while in the lowest scoring match of Round 2 Stauber1 tied their way to the next round over John J. MacInnes. In the other matches, Icd80 also tied their way to the quarters over sonofcrossjcek whose magical run finally came to an end. Drumstix rolled geezer out of the playoffs while GoNanooks and potternmu each pulled upsets over gochiefs and Bronco Hockey Fan (who will now have to box up the Jeff Sauer trophy and trudge to the nearest UPS store).

Link to First and Second Round picks

The Elite Eight is set with fellow AZZ'ers mbenecke taking on Drumstix, MTUHuskyGold up against Icd80, Stauber1 mano-a-mano with GoNanooks, and puckdude40 head-to-head with potternmu. The form for submitting picks will make its appearance at the conclusion of the LSSU/BSU game.

TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:30 pm

Matches are set, here are the links. Just like last week submit picks for Friday and Saturday (quarterfinals and semifinals).

Quarterfinal and Semifinal picks
View response summaries
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:42 pm

I'm having a tough time picking this late in the year. I'm continuing on, but I'll be able to rest on winning the MacNaughton Cup at the end of the day. Lol
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:09 pm

Well folks, it appears the winner of the Jeff Sauer trophy this year is Coronavirus who was a sleeper that no one saw coming.

See you next year.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:41 pm

TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:Well folks, it appears the winner of the Jeff Sauer trophy this year is Coronavirus who was a sleeper that no one saw coming.

See you next year.

Knew I should have picked him!
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Hockey