New Hockey League...Realignment Starts Now

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

Re: New Hockey League...Realignment Starts Now

Postby FalconTurf » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:12 am

TommyG wrote:Huh? That’s a 5-8 wins every year out the door. Gonna be tough to keep up those 3rd place finishes.


Slow down and think for a second, we know you can.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:37 pm

Re: New Hockey League...Realignment Starts Now

Postby Hockey John » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:21 am

Falcon Turf, You are giving Tommy G too much credit.
Hockey John
Chick
Chick
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:24 am
Location: Findlay, Ohio

Re: New Hockey League...Realignment Starts Now

Postby MarkL » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:40 am

I have to wonder what will become of the Alaska hockey programs. With the lack of west coast hockey, about the only way I see them making it is if they join NCHC in place of WMU and/or Miami if they bolt. I can't imagine the Alaska programs surviving as independent. UAH should be a bit easier to find a new home.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
User avatar
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 4849
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:23 pm
Location: Greater Washington DC area

Re: New Hockey League...Realignment Starts Now

Postby footballguy51 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:30 am

I find it very interesting that there is a complete lack of western hockey. Every hockey team in DI/II/III is in Minnesota or east except Arizona State and the two Alaska teams.
ROLL ALONG!!!
User avatar
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 2624
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 5:19 pm

Re: New Hockey League...Realignment Starts Now

Postby pdt1081 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:47 am

MarkL wrote:I have to wonder what will become of the Alaska hockey programs. With the lack of west coast hockey, about the only way I see them making it is if they join NCHC in place of WMU and/or Miami if they bolt. I can't imagine the Alaska programs surviving as independent. UAH should be a bit easier to find a new home.

The NCHC was formed to get away from schools like Anchorage and Tech (who was just a shell of the team it is now).
Phi or Die
User avatar
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 3272
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:09 pm

Re: New Hockey League...Realignment Starts Now

Postby drumstix2388 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:52 am

footballguy51 wrote:I find it very interesting that there is a complete lack of western hockey. Every hockey team in DI/II/III is in Minnesota or east except Arizona State and the two Alaska teams.


Not quite, but close. There are a few teams in Colorado, plus a couple in the central states (Nebraska Omaha and maybe North Dakota State?) I think there could still be growth in hockey, but it’s never going to be easier for Alaska’s travel.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
User avatar
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1153
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: New Hockey League...Realignment Starts Now

Postby TommyG » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:50 pm

pdt1081 wrote:
MarkL wrote:I have to wonder what will become of the Alaska hockey programs. With the lack of west coast hockey, about the only way I see them making it is if they join NCHC in place of WMU and/or Miami if they bolt. I can't imagine the Alaska programs surviving as independent. UAH should be a bit easier to find a new home.

The NCHC was formed to get away from schools like Anchorage and Tech (who was just a shell of the team it is now).


And Bowling Green
TommyG
Chick
Chick
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:32 am

Re: New Hockey League...Realignment Starts Now

Postby MarkL » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:25 pm

pdt1081 wrote:
MarkL wrote:I have to wonder what will become of the Alaska hockey programs. With the lack of west coast hockey, about the only way I see them making it is if they join NCHC in place of WMU and/or Miami if they bolt. I can't imagine the Alaska programs surviving as independent. UAH should be a bit easier to find a new home.

The NCHC was formed to get away from schools like Anchorage and Tech (who was just a shell of the team it is now).


That's kinda what I thought had happened. IMO neither of the Alaskas would make it independent. I would think either some western programs would have to start up and band with Alaskas and Arizona State ... or they should explore ACHA.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
User avatar
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 4849
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:23 pm
Location: Greater Washington DC area

Re: New Hockey League...Realignment Starts Now

Postby pdt1081 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:51 pm

TommyG wrote:
pdt1081 wrote:
MarkL wrote:I have to wonder what will become of the Alaska hockey programs. With the lack of west coast hockey, about the only way I see them making it is if they join NCHC in place of WMU and/or Miami if they bolt. I can't imagine the Alaska programs surviving as independent. UAH should be a bit easier to find a new home.

The NCHC was formed to get away from schools like Anchorage and Tech (who was just a shell of the team it is now).


And Bowling Green

You actually have no idea what you're talking about.

The 5 teams from the WCHA specifically wanted to get away from the smaller schools like Tech and Anchorage, who showed no interest in investing in their hockey programs at that time. The WCHA Final 5 was highly profitable at the time, and teams like Anchorage and Tech were just fielding non-competitive teams and collecting a check at the end of the year (through the profit sharing setup). 5 teams doesn't get an automatic qualifier to the NCAA tournament, so they approached Miami, who was the most successful team in the CCHA (non big 10) at the time. 6 teams gets an auto-bid. They then added St Cloud and Western (after Western begged and pleaded). Bowling Green would have been the likely choice to join with Notre Dame, had that TV rights situation worked out.

Interesting note, this new conference would have formed at that time had Ferris and Lake Superior not jumped to the WCHA so quickly.
Phi or Die
User avatar
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 3272
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:09 pm

Re: New Hockey League...Realignment Starts Now

Postby rc_ziggy84 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:34 pm

pdt1081 wrote:
TommyG wrote:
pdt1081 wrote:
MarkL wrote:I have to wonder what will become of the Alaska hockey programs. With the lack of west coast hockey, about the only way I see them making it is if they join NCHC in place of WMU and/or Miami if they bolt. I can't imagine the Alaska programs surviving as independent. UAH should be a bit easier to find a new home.

The NCHC was formed to get away from schools like Anchorage and Tech (who was just a shell of the team it is now).


And Bowling Green

You actually have no idea what you're talking about.

The 5 teams from the WCHA specifically wanted to get away from the smaller schools like Tech and Anchorage, who showed no interest in investing in their hockey programs at that time. The WCHA Final 5 was highly profitable at the time, and teams like Anchorage and Tech were just fielding non-competitive teams and collecting a check at the end of the year (through the profit sharing setup). 5 teams doesn't get an automatic qualifier to the NCAA tournament, so they approached Miami, who was the most successful team in the CCHA (non big 10) at the time. 6 teams gets an auto-bid. They then added St Cloud and Western (after Western begged and pleaded). Bowling Green would have been the likely choice to join with Notre Dame, had that TV rights situation worked out.

Interesting note, this new conference would have formed at that time had Ferris and Lake Superior not jumped to the WCHA so quickly.


This makes a lot of sense. What's the TV rights situation? I didn't hear about that.
The (Graduated) "OU Falcon"
User avatar
rc_ziggy84
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:06 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: New Hockey League...Realignment Starts Now

Postby TommyG » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:43 pm

Go complain about the refs....that’s about all you know.

Bowling Green begged and pleaded too....NCHC said no way. Only reason the WCHA let BG in had to do with NCAA voting rights. It helped the conference to have a true “D1” member.

Bottom line, this is a good thing unless your Huntsville or the Alaska schools.
TommyG
Chick
Chick
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:32 am

Re: New Hockey League...Realignment Starts Now

Postby pdt1081 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:35 pm

rc_ziggy84 wrote:This makes a lot of sense. What's the TV rights situation? I didn't hear about that.

Notre Dame has a contract with NBC and wanted to bring it along without sharing. The other schools didn't really like that idea. I believe the NCHC has/had a contract with CBSSPORTS.
Phi or Die
User avatar
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 3272
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:09 pm

Re: New Hockey League...Realignment Starts Now

Postby Hockey John » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:18 pm

TommyG wrote:Go complain about the refs....that’s about all you know.

Bowling Green begged and pleaded too....NCHC said no way. Only reason the WCHA let BG in had to do with NCAA voting rights. It helped the conference to have a true “D1” member.

Bottom line, this is a good thing unless your Huntsville or the Alaska schools.



I don't know pdt1081, but I know that he knows more about college hockey in his little finger than you know totally Tommy G. Your ignorance shows here every time you post. BG was invited to the new WCHA at the same time as the other remaining teams. They were the last team to commit, even asking for an extension to the WCHA deadline, waiting on what Notre Dame decided.

Tommy G, you obviously don't like BG hockey. If you don't enjoy it, stop going. Your constant whining and immaturity on this site is getting very old.
Hockey John
Chick
Chick
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:24 am
Location: Findlay, Ohio

Re: New Hockey League...Realignment Starts Now

Postby TommyG » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:12 pm

I thought you blocked me? Go cry somewhere else.
TommyG
Chick
Chick
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:32 am

Re: New Hockey League...Realignment Starts Now

Postby Hockey John » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:11 pm

TommyG wrote:I thought you blocked me? Go cry somewhere else.



I am not the one whining like a spoiled brat when people don't agree with you. Grow Up!
Hockey John
Chick
Chick
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:24 am
Location: Findlay, Ohio

PreviousNext

Return to Hockey

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron