Coaching Search

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

Re: Coaching Search

Postby Schadenfreude » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:39 pm

TommyG wrote:Probably going to be tough to find someone to take the job. Bergeron set the bar high with all those third place finishes.

Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby TommyG » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:04 pm

Between getting blocked and old SNL gifs....you guys really hurt my feelings.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby pdt1081 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:25 am

TommyG wrote:Probably going to be tough to find someone to take the job. Bergeron set the bar high with all those third place finishes.

A fairweather fan like yourself has zero idea how high Bergeron actually set the bar for this program going forward. Those of us that lived through the high times and then the low times have nothing but gratitude for the job Bergeron did while he was here. Nobody should expect a simple minded person like you, who won't "waste his time watching any game involving Anchorage or Huntsville," to understand just what Bergeron accomplished.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:45 am

pdt1081 wrote:

A fairweather fan like yourself has zero idea how high Bergeron actually set the bar for this program going forward. Those of us that lived through the high times and then the low times have nothing but gratitude for the job Bergeron did while he was here. Nobody should expect a simple minded person like you, who won't "waste his time watching any game involving Anchorage or Huntsville," to understand just what Bergeron accomplished.

Whatever...you know as well as I do that if the team doesn’t sneak into the NCAA tournament this year, the fan base would have been questioning whether Bergeron should be the guy moving forward. Especially after the team completely collapsed against Mankato.

As far as being simple minded. Next season you should try a little more evaluation of the games in your posts. Complaining about the WCHA referees isn’t really breaking down the game.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby mbenecke » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:22 am

This may be off base, but I will admit that I do feel like Bergeron "underperformed" in his last 5 years here. He raised the bar for the program, no doubt - I will always be grateful for the fact that he helped save this program from the edge of extinction. But I will say I feel like for all the regular season winning he did here, it didn't actually result in anything tangible besides an "NCAA First Round" banner, though I will admit that's gotta be some type of feather in his cap.

All in all, I felt like the program was continuously improving under his guidance and I do think it's absolutely possible that he could have gotten us back to the top of the mountain, but the only real "accomplishments" he had here were an NCAA tournament bid and a GLI tournament win. Beyond that, there was a lot of coming up short, and I think that's fair to be pointed out. Based on his results the past 5 years, I feel like we could (and should) have had more, given the talent we had in comparison to the rest of our conference.

Regardless, it was one hell of a run, and I thank Coach Bergeron for being the man to save the program and restore it to glory - and for being the man for all 7 seasons since I became a fan as a 13 year old. It's up to the next guy to keep that upward trajectory, and I believe we will make a great hire that will do just that.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:48 am

mbenecke wrote:This may be off base, but I will admit that I do feel like Bergeron "underperformed" in his last 5 years here. He raised the bar for the program, no doubt - I will always be grateful for the fact that he helped save this program from the edge of extinction. But I will say I feel like for all the regular season winning he did here, it didn't actually result in anything tangible besides an "NCAA First Round" banner, though I will admit that's gotta be some type of feather in his cap.

All in all, I felt like the program was continuously improving under his guidance and I do think it's absolutely possible that he could have gotten us back to the top of the mountain, but the only real "accomplishments" he had here were an NCAA tournament bid and a GLI tournament win. Beyond that, there was a lot of coming up short, and I think that's fair to be pointed out. Based on his results the past 5 years, I feel like we could (and should) have had more, given the talent we had in comparison to the rest of our conference.

Regardless, it was one hell of a run, and I thank Coach Bergeron for being the man to save the program and restore it to glory - and for being the man for all 7 seasons since I became a fan as a 13 year old. It's up to the next guy to keep that upward trajectory, and I believe we will make a great hire that will do just that.

Well said. Thanks.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Hockey John » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:16 pm

pdt1081 wrote:

Well said. Tommy G needs to remember that we were where Anchorage is now nine years ago. But then being the fair weather fan that he is, I bet he did not attend games back then.
Hockey John
Chick
Chick

Postby BG84 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:22 pm

I've been more interested in a regular-season championship than a trip to the NCAA tournament. Be the top team in the league--weak though it may be--and then think about the tourney. I also value winning the WCHA playoffs more than getting into the tournament.

I received my degree in 1984 but attended maybe ten games when I was in school. My first season tickets were for 2000-2001, and in 2012 I wondered if I was seeing the worst decade in program history (Likely: http://www.ay-ziggy-zoomba.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30309) Back then, I was happy if the guys played hard. I was patient and satisfied with gradual improvement, and it helped that the team managed to get some wins in the league tournaments. As Bergeron and staff improved the team, my expectations increased, and I have been frustrated the last couple of seasons that the team couldn't finish above third place. This past season I really thought a regular-season championship was likely. Bonk. Win just one more game to finish in second to guarantee home ice in the second round. Bonk. Lose to Alabama at the end of the season (multiple seasons?) and miss (I forget what). Bonk.

I'm disappointed that Bergeron left, but maybe a change will be for the better. I don't know how many times I heard him say in the context of a loss or a lot of penalties or some other negative event something along the lines of "These are 20-year-old kids and sometimes they..." Well, he's the head coach. Can't he overcome that?
BG84
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby TommyG » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:04 pm

Hockey John wrote:
pdt1081 wrote:

Well said. Tommy G needs to remember that we were where Anchorage is now nine years ago. But then being the fair weather fan that he is, I bet he did not attend games back then.

So I need to watch Anchorage and Huntsville because the BGSU sucked 9 years ago?
How am I a fair weather fan? I am constantly saying that BG’s success is a product of the ease of their schedule.

HockeyJohn you are more than welcome to rip me, but I ask that you put a little more effort into your posts. Try to make a coherent point. You’re better than that last post....let’s pick up the effort and focus.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby Hockey John » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:18 pm

TommyG wrote:
Hockey John wrote:
pdt1081 wrote:

So I need to watch Anchorage and Huntsville because the BGSU sucked 9 years ago?
How am I a fair weather fan? I am constantly saying that BG’s success is a product of the ease of their schedule.

HockeyJohn you are more than welcome to rip me, but I ask that you put a little more effort into your posts. Try to make a coherent point. You’re better than that last post....let’s pick up the effort and focus.

Apparently Tommy G, can not read as he totally missed my point. Perhaps you can take a reading comprehension test. I will block you as well as you have added very little hockey knowledge to this discussion.
Hockey John
Chick
Chick

Postby TommyG » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:54 am

Solid response....I’d block you back but I’m not a baby.

Back to the conversation....I would hope BG makes an announcement by the end of the week. I’m not sure which direction they'll go? Personally think they need to go outside the program if they want to knock off Mankato as the best program in the WCHA.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby pdt1081 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:09 am

TommyG wrote:Solid response....I’d block you back but I’m not a baby.

Back to the conversation....I would hope BG makes an announcement by the end of the week. I’m not sure which direction they'll go? Personally think they need to go outside the program if they want to knock off Mankato as the best program in the WCHA.

The up to 6 weeks timeline leads me to believe Moose is leaning towards a head coach at the Jr level.

Dennis William's team is currently down 3 games to 1 in their playoff series. They won last night and play again tonight.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:05 am

Dennis Williams would be a home run.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby pdt1081 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:53 am

Everett Silvertips fell 2-1 tonight, ending their season. If I was a betting man, there will be an announcement this week.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falcon Commander » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:04 am

Well, if it is Dennis....???

http://www.everettsilvertips.com/williams
Show our Spirit,
Make them Fear it,
Fight for Dear Bee Gee.

REBUILD-ING --> BG HOCKEY!!