Off-Season 2019 (Speculation/News)

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

Re: Off-Season 2019 (Speculation/News)

Postby TalonsDownForWhat » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:59 pm

As a school that hockey is their #1/2 sport it definitely makes sense
TalonsDownForWhat
Egg
Egg

Postby pdt1081 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:05 pm

TalonsDownForWhat wrote:Heard from a donor close to the program that Berg has a 400k a year contract from Miami in front of him. Senior Administration is working on a short list of coaches to bring in

If that's true, my signature would have been dry before the printer ink.

That's a lot of money for a coach that has had two second half collapses (0.0001 and again this year) and hasn't been able to win the big game yet.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:50 pm

TalonsDownForWhat wrote:Heard from a donor close to the program that Berg has a 400k a year contract from Miami in front of him. Senior Administration is working on a short list of coaches to bring in

If true, Bergeron would be a fool not to sign. But why would Miami pay him more than the guy who was there for so many years? It's not like Bergeron has been wildly successful at BG and is in great demand. He's been solid and did a good job rebuilding a moribund program...but that's not usually what gets you the big bucks.

As for Bednard...I'm really happy for him. Go forth young man and become ultra-successful -- and then remember to pay it forward!
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:34 am

Falconwriter wrote:

If true, Bergeron would be a fool not to sign. But why would Miami pay him more than the guy who was there for so many years? It's not like Bergeron has been wildly successful at BG and is in great demand. He's been solid and did a good job rebuilding a moribund program...but that's not usually what gets you the big bucks.

As for Bednard...I'm really happy for him. Go forth young man and become ultra-successful -- and then remember to pay it forward!

Moribund... fantastic new word for me to start with on this Tuesday.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:57 am

pdt1081 wrote:

If that's true, my signature would have been dry before the printer ink.

That's a lot of money for a coach that has had two second half collapses (0.0001 and again this year) and hasn't been able to win the big game yet.

There isn't enough money in the world that would make me take a job at Miami State. But I'd go for $400k.
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:11 am

TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:There isn't enough money in the world that would make me take a job at Miami State. But I'd go for $400k.

It's going to take at least 5 years to rebuild that program. At $400k per, that's $2 mill. I'd strike the buyout to make sure I had enough time to rebuild, making it a guaranteed $2 mill. It'd be difficult, but I think I could stomach it for that long.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:43 am

pdt1081 wrote:
TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:There isn't enough money in the world that would make me take a job at Miami State. But I'd go for $400k.

It's going to take at least 5 years to rebuild that program. At $400k per, that's $2 mill. I'd strike the buyout to make sure I had enough time to rebuild, making it a guaranteed $2 mill. It'd be difficult, but I think I could stomach it for that long.

I was thinking 3 (3-5...not much difference there), but the question is at $400k how long is his honeymoon? Mannino is a solid recruiter and has already started rebuilding their pipeline so Berge has a bit of a head start. Will they wait 3-5 before they start screaming for his head?

What gets me is where is this dough coming from? In year one you're plunking down $400k for the salary (which you were going to pay anyway and it's endowed), $150k for the buyout and holding another $400k in reserve if Rico can't get a gig. A million dollars in one year on a hockey program at a MAC state school. Their alumni donor network can fund that? Wow.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:59 am

Falconwriter wrote: It's not like Bergeron has been wildly successful at BG and is in great demand. He's been solid and did a good job rebuilding a moribund program...but that's not usually what gets you the big bucks.

He's worth more than we are currently paying him. In my mind, the best coaches are the ones that can build something from scratch, and he basically did that here, taking us from the brink of extinction to national respect and an NCAA tournament berth. He has done a hell of a job. If he stays, I think he can take us to another level.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller

Postby Falconwriter » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:47 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
Falconwriter wrote: It's not like Bergeron has been wildly successful at BG and is in great demand. He's been solid and did a good job rebuilding a moribund program...but that's not usually what gets you the big bucks.

He's worth more than we are currently paying him. In my mind, the best coaches are the ones that can build something from scratch, and he basically did that here, taking us from the brink of extinction to national respect and an NCAA tournament berth. He has done a hell of a job. If he stays, I think he can take us to another level.

Totally agree with you on all points. I was speaking solely from what is typically seen with coaching hires. I also don't see Miami's alums and fans being all that patient while the program is rebuilt. At BG, he had a lot of cushion, because we were so thankful to still have a team.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:37 am

CHN article on Berge mulling over his options. Nothing really new being reported other than he appears to officially have an offer.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/ ... -Miami.php
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby bgbill » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:09 am

Berge is an honorable man, and his decision either way is understandable. Of course, I hope he stays at BG.
All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds.
bgbill
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby AZIce » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:52 am

To be honest I don't understand the Miami thing. If he wants to coach more than College Hockey why would you go embark on another re-build?

He already has BG at an NCAA tourney level, another year or two and he's off to the AHL or NHL.

I guess if he never wants to be anything but a College Hockey coach, then that move might make sense, but if he has higher aspirations......starting another rebuild just puts his career on a longer track.
AZIce
Chick
Chick

Postby TommyG » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:13 pm

No question he rebuilt from a terrible situation...but wow are people overstating his accomplishments. Bergeron jumping to the NHL??? Wow. Will everyone be ready to fire him when we finish in 3rd place and lose to Huntsville and Anchorage?
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:13 pm

TommyG wrote:wow are people overstating his accomplishments.

You are understating them. Buddy Powers and Scott Paluch spun their wheels for years here. It took time, but Bergeron has finally built Bowling Green into a league power with a growing national profile.

Not just any coach could have pulled this off. I would guess that Moose understands and appreciates what Bergeron has accomplished here, even if some of our fans do not.
Schadenfreude

Postby AZIce » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:31 pm

Blashill accomplished less at Western and moved on to a Wings Assistant job then the head job in Grand Rapids.

Berge knows him well, as well as Bylsma. Not too far fetched to think he could be on their radar with a season or two more of successes.

Taking on a multi-year Miami rebuild stops all of that.......

That's all I was saying.....but you do your thing...... :roll:
AZIce
Chick
Chick

PreviousNext

Return to Hockey