2020 Offseason

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

Re: 2020 Offseason

Postby mbenecke » Fri May 22, 2020 4:09 pm

UAH has cut their hockey program, effective immediately. I feel for them, but it’s important to note that their lack of financing was a big reason many believed they weren’t invited to the new CCHA.

11/13-14 and 2/26-27 are now open on our schedule. I wonder if there’s anything that can be done to fill those dates, or if the league completely reconfigures the schedule.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Tue May 26, 2020 1:33 pm

Don Lucia (former Minnesota HC), Tom McGinnis (Minnesota Senior Associate AD), and Kevin Buisman (Minnesota State AD) are the finalists for the CCHA commissioner job.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Sun May 31, 2020 8:22 am

BG has picked up a transfer from Huntsville. Sophomore Defenseman Max Coyle. He should be industry available for play this season.
https://mobile.twitter.com/ep_transfers ... 4126917632
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falcon Commander » Sun May 31, 2020 8:40 am

Thankful for my time spent with
@uahhockey
. A program filled with quality people, from the staff to my teammates. That being said I’m very Excited for a new chapter both academically as well as on the ice in Ohio.
@BGFalconHockey
Show our Spirit,
Make them Fear it,
Fight for Dear Bee Gee.

REBUILD-ING --> BG HOCKEY!!
Falcon Commander
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:05 pm

The CCHA commissioner is set to be announced on Wednesday (tomorrow) this week. The rumored front runner is Don Lucia, former Minnesota HC. But it’s also very possibly someone one else - I guess we’ll see!
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:23 am

mbenecke wrote:The CCHA commissioner is set to be announced on Wednesday (tomorrow) this week. The rumored front runner is Don Lucia, former Minnesota HC. But it’s also very possibly someone one else - I guess we’ll see!

Multiple sources have confirmed that Don Lucia will indeed be the CCHA Commissioner, and that will be officially announced at 2:00pm EST.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:40 pm

I listened to Lucia's presser, some observations.

o Yeah, no. Huntsville will not be the 8th team.
o St. Thomas is in as the 8th if the NCAA grants them DI status and the Nacho's don't get there first.
o The MN and surrounding area press love this guy.
o The league won't be having an office (which is fine, probably not needed anyway).
o Missing: any real discussion about his vision for the league other than geographic cost containment with "like minded" schools.
o Missing: any questions or discussion regarding revenue and sponsorships.
o Praise the Lord, we'll still be playing for the MacNaughton Cup (whew!!).

I wasn't expecting anything super exciting and subsequently was not disappointed.
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Critical Thinker » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:59 pm

mbenecke wrote:
mbenecke wrote:The CCHA commissioner is set to be announced on Wednesday (tomorrow) this week. The rumored front runner is Don Lucia, former Minnesota HC. But it’s also very possibly someone one else - I guess we’ll see!

Multiple sources have confirmed that Don Lucia will indeed be the CCHA Commissioner, and that will be officially announced at 2:00pm EST.

Wasn't that the guy who whined about the smaller schools using 20 year old freshman to beat up on his one-and-done NHL prospects?
Critical Thinker
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:20 pm

Critical Thinker wrote:
mbenecke wrote:

Wasn't that the guy who whined about the smaller schools using 20 year old freshman to beat up on his one-and-done NHL prospects?

Yep.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:06 pm

TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:I listened to Lucia's presser, some observations.

o Yeah, no. Huntsville will not be the 8th team.
o St. Thomas is in as the 8th if the NCAA grants them DI status and the Nacho's don't get there first.

Very interesting.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby BGDrew » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:27 pm

o The league won't be having an office (which is fine, probably not needed.

These points aren’t accurate.

St. Thomas was asked about and Lucia most definitely did not say they’re “in.” He specifically said the league would be open to teams who are geographic fits and are institutionally committed to the sport. St. Thomas doesn’t even have a D1 rink built yet.

No decision has been made on a league office, and it was even mentioned having an office on one of the campuses to save money.
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby rood » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:57 pm

TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:o Missing: any real discussion about his vision for the league other than geographic cost containment with "like minded" schools.

I wasn't expecting anything super exciting and subsequently was not disappointed.

I suspect this hire was more about name recognition and reputation for the first few years of a new/old league than long-term vision. Get things up and running, hand over the reins five years down the road.
I love people who can laugh at themselves. It saves me the effort.
rood
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:30 pm

BGDrew wrote:

o The league won't be having an office (which is fine, probably not needed.

These points aren’t accurate.

St. Thomas was asked about and Lucia most definitely did not say they’re “in.” He specifically said the league would be open to teams who are geographic fits and are institutionally committed to the sport. St. Thomas doesn’t even have a D1 rink built yet.

No decision has been made on a league office, and it was even mentioned having an office on one of the campuses to save money.

Don't necessarily disagree Drew, this was just my impressions/observations. I should have qualified them more concretely as such.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby AZIce » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:10 pm

BG games staying in the same place.

nCCHA signs deal to have games on FloSports.

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/6754728-flohockey-ccha-announce-exclusive-streaming-partnership
AZIce
Chick
Chick

Postby pdt1081 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:34 pm

AZIce wrote:BG games staying in the same place.

nCCHA signs deal to have games on FloSports.

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/6754728-flohockey-ccha-announce-exclusive-streaming-partnership

I will say I'm happy with this decision. Flo isn't perfect, but I've been watching dirt track racing for the past 2 months using the same subscription.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Hockey