MAC Football 2020 Schedule

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: MAC Football 2020 Schedule

Postby MarkL » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:06 pm

Saban has covid, so do some Florida players, NFL games get rescheduled every week. I've had a theory ever since the return to play was announced. The theory is the MAC has play starting so late in the season because the office deep down really does not want to play.

The finances would not be positive, the net gain is really intangible (player and fan satisfaction) compared against the tangible risk. My theory is the conference is betting the virus makes football play less likely and more complicated by the week and if a real out opportunity presents itself between now and week 1, MAC football will be canceled for the season.

So if I'm laying down odds for week 1 winner: 30% UT, 20% BG, 50% covid.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:17 pm

MarkL wrote:Saban has covid, so do some Florida players, NFL games get rescheduled every week. I've had a theory ever since the return to play was announced. The theory is the MAC has play starting so late in the season because the office deep down really does not want to play.

The finances would not be positive, the net gain is really intangible (player and fan satisfaction) compared against the tangible risk. My theory is the conference is betting the virus makes football play less likely and more complicated by the week and if a real out opportunity presents itself between now and week 1, MAC football will be canceled for the season.

So if I'm laying down odds for week 1 winner: 30% UT, 20% BG, 50% covid.

No league is going to cancel the rest of their season. They'll reschedule whatever they can and just roll with it.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Beaker » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:28 am

My hope is that we can play this entire (abbreviated) schedule with no games cancelled due to viral plagues, riots, meteor showers, locusts or anything else. With this team being so young, we need the benefit of the extended practice time and game action. Even if the wins are not there, we will benefit from the opportunity of the coaches getting the guys on the field. No one loses a year of eligibility so I look at these games simply as practice for the real show next year. At least, I hope next year will bear some semblance of a normal season!
Beaker
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconfreak90 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:38 pm

Beaker wrote:My hope is that we can play this entire (abbreviated) schedule with no games cancelled due to viral plagues, riots, meteor showers, locusts or anything else. With this team being so young, we need the benefit of the extended practice time and game action. Even if the wins are not there, we will benefit from the opportunity of the coaches getting the guys on the field. No one loses a year of eligibility so I look at these games simply as practice for the real show next year. At least, I hope next year will bear some semblance of a normal season!

Good points there Beaker. We aren't getting beat up by the BiG whatever in two game as we are thin on the lines. a 6 game sked, all MAC games, might actually be a blessing in disguise.
Michael W.
BGSU-12 TIME MAC CHAMPION
FALCON FOOTBALL ROCKS!
Falconfreak90
Rubber City Falcon
Rubber City Falcon

Postby roguewarrior » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:24 am

I am cautiously optimistic that we will surprise some teams, maybe ourselves. McDonald at QB changes everything, VS last year. That said, If we go 1-5 or 2-4.... but lose games in the 4th qtr by a TD or less VS getting smoked......we are vastly improved! Some of the wackos here only counting wins won’t get that..... that’s what the measuring stick for this fall should be: are we fighting for the W in the 4th quarter?
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby drumstix2388 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:12 am

roguewarrior wrote:I am cautiously optimistic that we will surprise some teams, maybe ourselves. McDonald at QB changes everything, VS last year. That said, If we go 1-5 or 2-4.... but lose games in the 4th qtr by a TD or less VS getting smoked......we are vastly improved! Some of the wackos here only counting wins won’t get that..... that’s what the measuring stick for this fall should be: are we fighting for the W in the 4th quarter?

It feels like the QB and skill positions might legitimately be one of the more talented groups in the MAC, but the O-line providing blocking/protection might be the thing that prevents sure success. Does that seem accurate? Defensively, I have little to no idea what to expect. I think Karl Brooks will be a beast, Haigler is solid, and I really like Johnson-Mack moving to LB (though I'm sure there will be a pretty steep learning curve this year). Outside of that, I don't really know what to expect from them. Can't be worse?
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:48 am

drumstix2388 wrote:
roguewarrior wrote:I am cautiously optimistic that we will surprise some teams, maybe ourselves. McDonald at QB changes everything, VS last year. That said, If we go 1-5 or 2-4.... but lose games in the 4th qtr by a TD or less VS getting smoked......we are vastly improved! Some of the wackos here only counting wins won’t get that..... that’s what the measuring stick for this fall should be: are we fighting for the W in the 4th quarter?

It feels like the QB and skill positions might legitimately be one of the more talented groups in the MAC, but the O-line providing blocking/protection might be the thing that prevents sure success. Does that seem accurate? Defensively, I have little to no idea what to expect. I think Karl Brooks will be a beast, Haigler is solid, and I really like Johnson-Mack moving to LB (though I'm sure there will be a pretty steep learning curve this year). Outside of that, I don't really know what to expect from them. Can't be worse?

I am not sure either. I do know the BVG defense is complex, so an additional year of study will help players play more freely, knowing what to do. More importantly, with our improved offense, the D should not be starting every series at our own 45. In turn when we do get stops, Maybe they punt from their 25 instead of the 50. It all adds up...
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby BGSU33 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:08 pm

CUSA moved its championship game back, which was a smart move IMO. It allows for games to be rescheduled, which are popping up everywhere right now. I think the MAC should do the same thing. Right now the MAC has no wiggle room if an issue arises, and it likely will. It's not like the MAC is going to get a team into the CFB Playoffs, especially in a year like this. It seems to me that if the MAC is going to play and have a championship, why not try and protect the championship matchup by getting all the games in since there's only 6 contests to begin with. It could turn into a real mess if there's are cancelations with no room to make them up.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:17 am

BGSU33 wrote:It's not like the MAC is going to get a team into the CFB Playoffs, especially in a year like this.

With the way Alabama, Florida, and LSU are playing defense, the MAC would fit right in. :lol:
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:45 am

BGSU33 wrote:CUSA moved its championship game back, which was a smart move IMO. It allows for games to be rescheduled, which are popping up everywhere right now. I think the MAC should do the same thing. Right now the MAC has no wiggle room if an issue arises, and it likely will. It's not like the MAC is going to get a team into the CFB Playoffs, especially in a year like this. It seems to me that if the MAC is going to play and have a championship, why not try and protect the championship matchup by getting all the games in since there's only 6 contests to begin with. It could turn into a real mess if there's are cancelations with no room to make them up.

I don't disagree on the risks, but the championship is scheduled for Dec. 18. Wouldn't postponing it any more interfere with bowl games?
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby LSUinFindlay » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:55 pm

MarkL wrote:
BGSU33 wrote:It's not like the MAC is going to get a team into the CFB Playoffs, especially in a year like this.

With the way Alabama, Florida, and LSU are playing defense, the MAC would fit right in. :lol:

I agree!!!
LSUinFindlay
Egg
Egg

Postby drumstix2388 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:00 pm

Game against UT will be at 8pm on ESPNU.

*edit* So will the Kent State game six days later.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:08 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:Game against UT will be at 8pm on ESPNU.

I'm not in love with either. BG/Toledo deserves a bigger audience and a friendly kickoff time.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tswam » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:13 pm

The Kent game will have a 7 pm kickoff.
Tswam
Chick
Chick

Postby Class of 61 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:51 pm

jpfalcon09 wrote:

I'm not in love with either. BG/Toledo deserves a bigger audience and a friendly kickoff time.

Looking at it other way, 8 pm is a true prime time game , but other 6pm and 7 pm games would leave BG alone later.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Football