Fall Play Rumor

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Fall Play Rumor

Postby MarkL » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:15 pm

I assume we play the five other east opponents and UT. My only beef right now is I expect nothing but midweek games, in the evening, into December. Not sure we hit 10% capacity. Might have to pay people to go watch BG / Akron in those conditions!
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:41 pm

MarkL wrote:I assume we play the five other east opponents and UT. My only beef right now is I expect nothing but midweek games, in the evening, into December. Not sure we hit 10% capacity. Might have to pay people to go watch BG / Akron in those conditions!

Considering no fans or tailgating is allowed at any games, I don’t think that will be a problem.
We don’t hit 10% capacity without Covid in November so it doesn’t matter.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby Critical Thinker » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:07 pm

MarkL wrote:I assume we play the five other east opponents and UT. My only beef right now is I expect nothing but midweek games, in the evening, into December. Not sure we hit 10% capacity. Might have to pay people to go watch BG / Akron in those conditions!

Even 1500 fans would be incredible. I can't imagine myself walking to the Doyt on a cold, windy evening for an intercollegiate scrimmage.
Critical Thinker
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby jpfalcon09 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:16 pm

The official MAC announcement said no fans.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:20 pm

BGSU33 wrote:I don't like the amount of 6 games at all - IF - all games count equal in the standings for the MACC this year. To me, this would be a good time to count only division vs division matchups in the standings like it used to be in the MAC back in the day when things were unbalanced. IMO, this 6-game schedule may as well only be a 5-game schedule where the entire East played the East and the entire West played the West. Then the true division champs would met in the MACC. If all 6 games count equally with only 1 crossover game (as opposed to 3 where things balance out) it means it will either be more difficult or much easier for some teams in relation to the standings depending who they get pitted with.

Tiebreakers, but I suspect each division will have one program that separates itself from the pack when all is said and done. What would be more exciting is play 5 divisional games then move to an all-conference playoff to determine the championship.
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:25 pm

If they were to place no attendance limit, no masks, no social distancing, you'd probably hit 75% capacity for most games. People WANT something normal to do, and they will support it.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:56 pm

This is correct. Next question becomes home/away. Based on last year's schedule it should look like this:

Home
Kent State
Miami
Buffalo

Away
Ohio
Akron
Toledo
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:19 am

First game(s) scheduled for WED., Nov. 4 .... so “ Maction” will return. Would appear that all games will be weeknites? :-k
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:36 am

Class of 61 wrote:First game(s) scheduled for WED., Nov. 4 .... so “ Maction” will return. Would appear that all games will be weeknites? :-k

According to Nick P. from The Blade, Bob said the first 3 games will be weeknights, then the last 3 will be Saturdays, beginning with the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:41 pm

BLADE headline says HALF will be weeknites, but I can’t get article w/on subscription.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:03 pm

Just listened to the BG press conference about returning to football. Not much new. One thing is apparent. Loeffler breathes and eats football. This has been rough on him. Also there are staffers who have been coaching football for decades. And this would have been the first year not coaching. Talk about an experienced staff.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:14 pm

MarkL wrote:Just listened to the BG press conference about returning to football. Not much new. One thing is apparent. Loeffler breathes and eats football. This has been rough on him. Also there are staffers who have been coaching football for decades. And this would have been the first year not coaching. Talk about an experienced staff.

That is a correct assessment. That’s all these guys do is football. Every moment of every day. Most of them played to some higher level as well. That’s part of the reason I laugh at some of the negative people on here, questioning the coaches already, or when players end up in the portal. They may make a bad game day decision from time to time, but they know what they are doing.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby Globetrotter » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:34 pm

We keep picking up the scraps of the big leagues and playing by their rules. We need to start thinking outside the box. The Spring season was the obvious solution. Again the MAC is a pretender. Do something innovative for once.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby Falconwriter » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:34 pm

I'm hoping the MAC alters its rule about attendance and lets the state regs apply. That would mean Ohio might allow family members and the bands, and possibly even a smaller percentage of the stadiums. It has worked well for the high schools and the NFL, so there's a template there for our state.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:36 pm

Globetrotter wrote:We keep picking up the scraps of the big leagues and playing by their rules. We need to start thinking outside the box. The Spring season was the obvious solution. Again the MAC is a pretender. Do something innovative for once.

I would bet, if they're being honest, there isn't one coach who wants a Spring season. Not one. It only screws up the following Fall, when we all hope things will be back to normal.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Football