Five years ago today

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Five years ago today

Postby MarkL » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:53 am

Sept 12, 2015. BG 48, Maryland 27. That game was the launching point for the most dominant offense and one of the most dominant teams in BG history. The BG offense exploded in the second half with Matt Johnson throwing for 6 TDs to 5 different receivers. The defense even got into the fun with 3 second half interceptions.

MAC teams are not supposed to beat Big Ten teams, and when they do, it is not supposed to be in blowout fashion. The scary thing is BG left four TDs on the field.

And a cool thing happened at the end of the game. The team walked by the BG section to thank the fans and then Babers addressed the crowd, thanking everyone for coming by and for the enthusiasm, and also urging everyone to come home next weekend for Memphis. It was a nice touch by coach to acknowledge the road crowd.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Five years ago today

Postby TommyG » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:46 am

2015 Maryland: 3 wins 9 losses (2 wins if you don’t count the FCS win)...1 and 7 in the BIG10.

What a win!
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby roguewarrior » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:01 am

TommyG wrote:2015 Maryland: 3 wins 9 losses (2 wins if you don’t count the FCS win)...1 and 7 in the BIG10.

What a win!

You should just be a Globetrotters fan. Why waste your time with anything less? Good grief......
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby Schadenfreude » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:03 am

I was there that day. I was also at the Purdue game two weeks later where we beat the Boilermakers.

It was a great year to be a Falcon fan.

I'm certain we can get back to that level.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby kdog27 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:23 am

TommyG wrote:2015 Maryland: 3 wins 9 losses (2 wins if you don’t count the FCS win)...1 and 7 in the BIG10.

What a win!

If we can’t even be proud about beating a Big Ten team by 3 tds then I guess there won’t ever be anything to be proud about. Guess we should have won 63-0 that day.
kdog27
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:30 am

Any time a school the size of BG can beat a major college program with many times the resources...it should be celebrated. Drill them by multiple TD's? Even beter
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby MarkL » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:04 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:I was there that day. I was also at the Purdue game two weeks later where we beat the Boilermakers.

I really wanted to go to that Purdue game too. But had a wedding that day. Who gets married during football season? It was my two Alma Maters playing so it was devastating missing it and I may or may not have been streaming it on my phone during the reception. Hopefully next time they play I'll make it back to West Lafayette.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:46 am

MarkL wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:I was there that day. I was also at the Purdue game two weeks later where we beat the Boilermakers.

I really wanted to go to that Purdue game too. But had a wedding that day. Who gets married during football season? It was my two Alma Maters playing so it was devastating missing it and I may or may not have been streaming it on my phone during the reception. Hopefully next time they play I'll make it back to West Lafayette.

In Columbus, there's a local belief that basically says: if you schedule a wedding on a football Saturday, don't be surprised if nobody shows up. Honestly, I think it should be an Ohio law, as football crazy as this state usually is.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Beaker » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:15 am

And a cool thing happened at the end of the game. The team walked by the BG section to thank the fans and then Babers addressed the crowd, thanking everyone for coming by and for the enthusiasm, and also urging everyone to come home next weekend for Memphis. It was a nice touch by coach to acknowledge the road crowd.[/quote]

That Memphis game was a heck of a shootout and maybe the most entertaining of those 3 non-conference games, even though we came up short, 44-41. Back and forth all day and they got one stop at the end that we couldn't get.

As for weddings in Ohio during football season, my cousin had her wedding on O$U/Michigan day and even scheduled it at 1:00 while the game was going on. This was back before you could watch games on a mobile device, so the men were sitting in the church with their pocket AM radios with an earphone. They had a TV set up with rabbit ears at the reception but couldn't get a good picture and it was was 80% static. There were a lot of very grumpy folks there that day......and a lot more that just stayed home. I guess that was her way of laying down the law and telling her husband that she was going to take priority over football. I don't think the guy has made a whimper ever since.
Beaker
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Critical Thinker » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:15 pm

Beaker wrote:That Memphis game was a heck of a shootout and maybe the most entertaining of those 3 non-conference games, even though we came up short, 44-41. Back and forth all day and they got one stop at the end that we couldn't get.

That was the best played BG game I've ever seen. Both teams were playing at their peak all day. Even the defenses played well, they were just overwhelmed by phenomenal offenses. Too bad Memphis was just a little bit better.
Critical Thinker
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby zete » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:17 am

Beaker wrote:And a cool thing happened at the end of the game. The team walked by the BG section to thank the fans and then Babers addressed the crowd, thanking everyone for coming by and for the enthusiasm, and also urging everyone to come home next weekend for Memphis. It was a nice touch by coach to acknowledge the road crowd.

It was a "nice touch" by a coach, knowing his every move was being watched, and was auditioning to move on 'Falcon Fast'.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:30 am

zete wrote:
Beaker wrote:And a cool thing happened at the end of the game. The team walked by the BG section to thank the fans and then Babers addressed the crowd, thanking everyone for coming by and for the enthusiasm, and also urging everyone to come home next weekend for Memphis. It was a nice touch by coach to acknowledge the road crowd.

It was a "nice touch" by a coach, knowing his every move was being watched, and was auditioning to move on 'Falcon Fast'.

Fine with me. He was a good guy to have as a coach for those rosters, and a good guy overall from what I've heard. He is pushing 60 and had been a coach for 30 years by the time he was here. Can't fault the guy for chasing a payday that could secure his family's finances for life.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:04 am

drumstix2388 wrote:
zete wrote:

Fine with me. He was a good guy to have as a coach for those rosters, and a good guy overall from what I've heard. He is pushing 60 and had been a coach for 30 years by the time he was here. Can't fault the guy for chasing a payday that could secure his family's finances for life.

Exactly...This isn't Gil Thorp...coaches don't settle in here for a long tenure. Dino represented the program well and earned his shot at the $$$$
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Return to Football