High School sports move forward....

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: High School sports move forward....

Postby guest44 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:55 am

Her hypocrisy is classic too. Shouldn’t she give back all or part of her salary to the students who will pay for her to not have a season? Do you think she has any clue that student fees will make up the better part of all revenue for the department? Do you think she would be lecturing all who would listen if her salary were threatened by not playing? Of course not.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1665
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:27 pm

Re: High School sports move forward....

Postby guest44 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:47 am

Will Bob be attending live high school sports this weekend? Or did he opt his kids out?
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1665
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:27 pm

Re: High School sports move forward....

Postby footballguy51 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:36 am

BGDrew wrote:They’re sharing their viewpoint on their personal account. It’d be different if an official account was being used to share their viewpoint.


As an employee of BGSU, using a Twitter account where your profile states "BGSU Head Volleyball Coach | A believer in justice & equality for all | Truth seeker | Learner | Books & Music lover | All opinions expressed are my own |", you are automatically associated with BGSU with everything you post. Even saying that opinions expressed are your own doesn't mean that you still are not attributed to BGSU. BGSU is a public institution and, as such, cannot and should not be involved in politics. I'm surprised she hasn't gotten in trouble. If I were to use my Twitter profile to express political opinions that were less popular because they fell on the other side of the spectrum, I'm willing to bet I would get a call from HR.
ROLL ALONG!!!
User avatar
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 2651
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 5:19 pm

Re: High School sports move forward....

Postby Flipper » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:02 am

I might be bothered if I actually gave a crap what someone pretentious enough to bill themselves as a "truth seeker" or whatever thought. You coach VB at a rinky dink Midwestern college....you ain't Socrates.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
User avatar
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot
 
Posts: 16226
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:01 am
Location: Ida Twp, MI

Re: High School sports move forward....

Postby guest44 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:03 am

She hasn’t even been noticed because her viewpoint aligns with the people who operate the BGSU Athletics Twitter account. It hasn’t been noticed because BGSU Athletics lacks real leadership. It hasn’t been noticed because the entire department operates as if it is way more important than it really is. She is a "truth seeker" but is not upset that 13 million in student fees will be collected from BGSU students to pay her salary, while she tweets.

Bob cut baseball, and within 4 hours looked like he was completely in over his head.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1665
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:27 pm

Re: High School sports move forward....

Postby threestooges » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:22 am

guest44 wrote:She hasn’t even been noticed because her viewpoint aligns with the people who operate the BGSU Athletics Twitter account. It hasn’t been noticed because BGSU Athletics lacks real leadership. It hasn’t been noticed because the entire department operates as if it is way more important than it really is. She is a "truth seeker" but is not upset that 13 million in student fees will be collected from BGSU students to pay her salary, while she tweets.

Bob cut baseball, and within 4 hours looked like he was completely in over his head.


I'm sure she indeed has been noticed, but nothing has been done because she has every right to tweet her opinions on her personal account. She didn't swear, call anyone names or engage in inappropriate or offensive behavior in any way. She has every right to tweet what she tweeted, & you (& anyone else) have every right to reply to her tweet telling her that you disagree.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 744
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: High School sports move forward....

Postby BGDrew » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:51 pm

footballguy51 wrote:
BGDrew wrote:They’re sharing their viewpoint on their personal account. It’d be different if an official account was being used to share their viewpoint.


As an employee of BGSU, using a Twitter account where your profile states "BGSU Head Volleyball Coach | A believer in justice & equality for all | Truth seeker | Learner | Books & Music lover | All opinions expressed are my own |", you are automatically associated with BGSU with everything you post. Even saying that opinions expressed are your own doesn't mean that you still are not attributed to BGSU. BGSU is a public institution and, as such, cannot and should not be involved in politics. I'm surprised she hasn't gotten in trouble. If I were to use my Twitter profile to express political opinions that were less popular because they fell on the other side of the spectrum, I'm willing to bet I would get a call from HR.


First amendment affords her the right to express her opinion on a personal social media account.

If your employer would sic HR on you for advocating for a politician on your own time on a personal social media account, then I’m guessing some lawyers would love to take up that case.
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
User avatar
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 6329
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:11 pm

Re: High School sports move forward....

Postby footballguy51 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:32 pm

BGDrew wrote:
footballguy51 wrote:
BGDrew wrote:They’re sharing their viewpoint on their personal account. It’d be different if an official account was being used to share their viewpoint.


As an employee of BGSU, using a Twitter account where your profile states "BGSU Head Volleyball Coach | A believer in justice & equality for all | Truth seeker | Learner | Books & Music lover | All opinions expressed are my own |", you are automatically associated with BGSU with everything you post. Even saying that opinions expressed are your own doesn't mean that you still are not attributed to BGSU. BGSU is a public institution and, as such, cannot and should not be involved in politics. I'm surprised she hasn't gotten in trouble. If I were to use my Twitter profile to express political opinions that were less popular because they fell on the other side of the spectrum, I'm willing to bet I would get a call from HR.


First amendment affords her the right to express her opinion on a personal social media account.

If your employer would sic HR on you for advocating for a politician on your own time on a personal social media account, then I’m guessing some lawyers would love to take up that case.


First amendment gives you the right to free speech and prohibits the government from establishing any law that would infringe upon that right. It doesn't say that you cannot face repercussions for that same speech. Employees have been terminated or placed on suspension for their speech, even at public institutions, regardless of if that speech was using official mediums or personal accounts.

In regards to this specific case, if she were to remove from her profile that she's employed by BGSU then it might not seem like she is speaking for the University. Even though her profile indicates that the opinions expressed are her own, that's almost akin to saying, "Not to be rude, but..." and then saying something insensitive or outright offensive. When the president speaks, even if he speaks his own opinions, he is speaking for the country. If President Rogers started tweeting his opinions of the election on a personal Twitter account (I don't know if he has one, so let's call it @the_real_rodney_rogers) and he said that we need a change in leadership and all people should get out there and vote -- or if he said we need another four years of the present leadership and all people should get out there and vote -- people would be calling for his resignation as President because he holds a public leadership position and is therefore representing BGSU (even when his profile says "These are my opinions and not the opinions of any employer, present or future").

I'm not advocating for somebody to lose their job. I'm just surprised, based on past precedent, that HR hasn't said something. Four years ago, we all got a warning that we shouldn't use University resources for political purposes and they put major restrictions in writing regarding political campaigning, interactions with elected officials, and ties to BGSU. Based on policy, these tweets are JUST inside the bounds. I fully expect an email from HR to all employees reminding everyone of the policies and how things should or should not be worded.
ROLL ALONG!!!
User avatar
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 2651
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 5:19 pm

Re: High School sports move forward....

Postby Flipper » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:58 pm

When I worked for Morgan Stanley and Merrill Lynch, I was not allowed to disclose my employment status on social media unless I was willing to allow their compliance people the right to review my posts PRIOR to my posting them. The people I work for now seem a lot more relaxed, but I keep my employment off my FB page out of habit. I disclose that info on Linkdin, but don't get into anything personal on that site,

Coaches at BG are contract employees so they have specific rights and responsibilities under the terms of their contract. Most of us are employed "at will" which is another way of saying you can get canned for almost anything
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
User avatar
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot
 
Posts: 16226
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:01 am
Location: Ida Twp, MI

Re: High School sports move forward....

Postby TommyG » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:12 pm

Exactly she can resign and tweet whatever the hell she wants. Until then she shouldn’t have free reign to use her account connected to BGSU Athletics as a forum for political statements.
TommyG
Chick
Chick
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:32 am

Re: High School sports move forward....

Postby guest44 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:52 am

Just give it a few months. Let the reality of shutting down athletics, while still spending on hotels & meals for everyone, actually kick in. The "cooked books" Bob used to get his 21 million dollar budget approved, will soon be drying up. Then the blame game from coaches like her will shift off the President, and on to those taking things away from her program.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1665
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:27 pm

Re: High School sports move forward....

Postby pdt1081 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:57 am

guest44 wrote:Just give it a few months. Let the reality of shutting down athletics, while still spending on hotels & meals for everyone, actually kick in. The "cooked books" Bob used to get his 21 million dollar budget approved, will soon be drying up. Then the blame game from coaches like her will shift off the President, and on to those taking things away from her program.

Weeks, not months. Maybe even days. As soon as they start suspending students from the University for hosting/attending parties and being college students in general, kids will start withdrawing and taking their money home with them.
Phi or Die
User avatar
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 3309
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:09 pm

Re: High School sports move forward....

Postby Falconwriter » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:55 am

footballguy51 wrote:
BGDrew wrote:They’re sharing their viewpoint on their personal account. It’d be different if an official account was being used to share their viewpoint.


As an employee of BGSU, using a Twitter account where your profile states "BGSU Head Volleyball Coach | A believer in justice & equality for all | Truth seeker | Learner | Books & Music lover | All opinions expressed are my own |", you are automatically associated with BGSU with everything you post. Even saying that opinions expressed are your own doesn't mean that you still are not attributed to BGSU. BGSU is a public institution and, as such, cannot and should not be involved in politics. I'm surprised she hasn't gotten in trouble. If I were to use my Twitter profile to express political opinions that were less popular because they fell on the other side of the spectrum, I'm willing to bet I would get a call from HR.


This. When you are a public figure on a public salary, you have to be wary of how you represent your employer. And you can be held to account for things you say.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
User avatar
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:37 am
Location: Columbus

Re: High School sports move forward....

Postby Falconwriter » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:59 am

BGDrew wrote:
footballguy51 wrote:
BGDrew wrote:They’re sharing their viewpoint on their personal account. It’d be different if an official account was being used to share their viewpoint.


As an employee of BGSU, using a Twitter account where your profile states "BGSU Head Volleyball Coach | A believer in justice & equality for all | Truth seeker | Learner | Books & Music lover | All opinions expressed are my own |", you are automatically associated with BGSU with everything you post. Even saying that opinions expressed are your own doesn't mean that you still are not attributed to BGSU. BGSU is a public institution and, as such, cannot and should not be involved in politics. I'm surprised she hasn't gotten in trouble. If I were to use my Twitter profile to express political opinions that were less popular because they fell on the other side of the spectrum, I'm willing to bet I would get a call from HR.


First amendment affords her the right to express her opinion on a personal social media account.

If your employer would sic HR on you for advocating for a politician on your own time on a personal social media account, then I’m guessing some lawyers would love to take up that case.


As already noted, you're wrong on this. The First Amendment is not all encompassing for every situation, and honestly, you wouldn't want it to be. It's not unlike the argument of yelling "fire" in a crowded theater. This site is another example: it's private owned and run, so they get to set the rules. You have no First Amendment rights here. Employers can also establish rules of conduct to which you can be held. If you don't like them, you are free to work elsewhere.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
User avatar
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:37 am
Location: Columbus

Re: High School sports move forward....

Postby Flipper » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:06 am

You'd have to look at her contract to determine what kind of social media activity is or isn't encouraged. Personally...If I were a coach, I'd shut my yapper about politics as it's the most divisive topic imaginable. Is virtue signalling really tht important to her that she risks alienating people from the program?
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
User avatar
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot
 
Posts: 16226
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:01 am
Location: Ida Twp, MI

PreviousNext

Return to Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

cron