Sources: MAC postpones all fall sports, including football

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Sources: MAC postpones all fall sports, including footba

Postby MarkL » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:59 pm

guest44 wrote:They weren’t losing by 40 to Buffalo and Kent St.

Because they didn't inherit Mike Jinks' dumpster fire. Nobody left the program in worse shape than Jinks, ever. You can't judge a coach by their first year.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:27 pm

guest44 wrote:First year records. Urban Meyer 8-3 Gregg Brandon 11-3 Dave Clawson 7-6 Dino Babers 8-6
Scot Loeffler 3-9 w/ 4 losses in division by 40 or more. Clawson had head coaching experience. Not that similar at all. It’s funny how BG fans rip on Brandon and Babers still. They weren’t losing by 40 to Buffalo and Kent St.

What was the teams' record the year before each? It's easy to cherry pick stats that show what you want, without showing the entire picture.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:57 am

What is everyone guess on restarting season?
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby mbenecke » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:08 am

Tony4BG wrote:What is everyone guess on restarting season?

Honestly, reading the tea-leaves, I think we're back in October.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:18 am

guest...There's a reason Jinks was fired, there's a reason Brandon was fired. They both had dumpster fire programs. Yes...Clawson went 7-6 with the remnants of Brandon's 2006 class, but he took the job knowing there was a steep decline coming after that as the cupboard was empty. Jinks brought in some talent, but there were retention issues and discipline issues...for God's sake the current staff had to teach these guys how to line up correctly. Jinks was two plays from being 0-3 at home vs FCS programs...and you're criticizing Loeffler?
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby kdog27 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:37 am

Jinks has to be on the shortlist of the worst coaches in division 1 history. Yes, there have been worse records but let’s not forget the team he inherited was projected to win the East and had not lost a game in the East in several years. Jinks took care of that dominance immediately. His interview at our bowl game after he was hired was the foreshadowing of him being completely over his head.
kdog27
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:41 am

for God's sake the current staff had to teach these guys how to line up correctly....

Yep, BGSU paid a staff in total 6 million dollars to take Bowling Green Football to the lowest of standards. Many of the administrators involved in that decision are still employed by BGSU. The others left by choice to try to save face. Coaches have taken over dumpster fire programs in the MAC and shown results immediately before. Central Michigan in 2019 with a coach BGSU was not interested in. However, the Bowling Green Football standards now allow losing by 40 to Buffalo and Kent St to be the Clawson plan. It's the same standard that had many believing in Jinks when eyeballs and resume said disaster, and wanting high school coach Carl Pelini to be head coach.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:55 am

guest44 wrote:First year records. Urban Meyer 8-3 Gregg Brandon 11-3 Dave Clawson 7-6 Dino Babers 8-6
Scot Loeffler 3-9 w/ 4 losses in division by 40 or more. Clawson had head coaching experience. Not that similar at all. It’s funny how BG fans rip on Brandon and Babers still. They weren’t losing by 40 to Buffalo and Kent St.

I think most of us understand guess44 is a troll with a weird agenda. I personally think he wants Bowling Green to drop football or move down to Division II. Maybe it is something else. (Maybe he's the groundskeeper. Who knows?)

Regardless, this is another bad take.

Clawson made it clear when he took over the football program that he expected a drop off after the first year, presumably because of really weak recruiting by the previous coaching staff. And that's how it played out:

2009 7–6
2010 2–10
2011 5–7
2012 8–5
2013 10–3

As others have noted, Jinks was turrible. He left behind what may have been the worst dumpster fire in program history. But we have a proud tradition here, one that can be restored and one that we should expect to be restored. But it will take some time. It is way too soon to be evaluating Loeffler on wins and losses.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby roguewarrior » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:28 am

Schadenfreude wrote:

I think most of us understand guess44 is a troll with a weird agenda. I personally think he wants Bowling Green to drop football or move down to Division II. Maybe it is something else. (Maybe he's the groundskeeper. Who knows?)

Clawson made it clear when he took over the football program that he expected a drop off after the first year, presumably because of really weak recruiting by the previous coaching staff. And that's how it played out:

2009 7–6
2010 2–10
2011 5–7
2012 8–5
2013 10–3

As others have noted, Jinks was turrible. He left behind what may have been the worst dumpster fire in program history. But we have a proud tradition here, one that can be restored and one that we should expect to be restored. But it will take some time. It is way too soon to be evaluating Loeffler on wins and losses.

He indeed appears to have some disturbing agenda. Can’t understand why people visit and comment on a fan site, and contribute only negativity and horrible football takes. Loeffler did not have a quarterback last year..... NO QUARTERBACK!! And about 10 players likely destined for prison time over playing time. Pellini is a good dude. I don’t know what him coaching HS now has anything to do with anything? Is Urban a failed coach because he is on TV ? Disturbing.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby threestooges » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:49 am

roguewarrior wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:

2009 7–6
2010 2–10
2011 5–7
2012 8–5
2013 10–3

He indeed appears to have some disturbing agenda. Can’t understand why people visit and comment on a fan site, and contribute only negativity and horrible football takes. Loeffler did not have a quarterback last year..... NO QUARTERBACK!! And about 10 players likely destined for prison time over playing time. Pellini is a good dude. I don’t know what him coaching HS now has anything to do with anything? Is Urban a failed coach because he is on TV ? Disturbing.

Cats are chasing dogs. Hamburgers are eating people. Guest44 has done the impossible -- he's made me agree wholeheartedly with Roguewarrior. Miracles DO happen! Have a blessed weekend, everyone!
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:57 am

When did anyone say Urban Meyer was a bad coach? He was the best coach this school has or will ever see. Rogue...10 players destined for prison? Is this you going back to race again? Oh, and no quarterback is on Loeffler. At Central Michigan, they found a eligible quarterback. They won a division. They smashed BGSU.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:14 pm

Ahhh, I can't keep up.

Some liked Babers and some blame him.

I believe we all are in agreement Jinks and his staff were way over their heads.

Now on to Loeffler, is guest only one bashing him or did I miss someone??
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby guest44 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:19 pm

No, many on this board were still believing in Jinks going into the third year.

Someone on this board used Carl Pelini and Urban Meyer in the same sentence. Many on this board wanted Carl Pelini full time, celebrated when Pelini was retained for about a month after Loeffler was hired.

I'm the only one saying that Loeffler and Clawson aren't that similar at all.

See ya tomorrow when MAC Football is back due to Twitter pressure.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:46 pm

guest44 wrote:When did anyone say Urban Meyer was a bad coach? He was the best coach this school has or will ever see. Rogue...10 players destined for prison? Is this you going back to race again? Oh, and no quarterback is on Loeffler. At Central Michigan, they found a eligible quarterback. They won a division. They smashed BGSU.

I guess you missed the news about the player Coach kicked off the team headed for prison for rape and kidnapping. The Meyer analogy was about a coach now doing something other than coaching college football, not being a loser (Pellini)-YOUR take that he is now coaching HS football, so he must be bad. I guess you missed that too.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby Flipper » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:50 pm

Loeffler and Clawson are very similar in the sense that they are both methodical and have a more disciplined approach than Babers...who at least was a competent HC and Jinks...who had virtually no redeeming qualities as a HC (he could recruit talent...but he couldn't coach it or keep it).

Loeffler had a QB for last year...if the NCAA ruled fairly on transfer exemptions he would have been playing. Once that piece was taken off the board, he had to scramble. Had Doege lived up to his commitment and stayed like he said he would, that point would have been moot
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

PreviousNext

Return to Football