Can BGSU football survive if...

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Can BGSU football survive if...

Postby footballguy51 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:20 am

Flipper wrote:This goes beyond football. The pandemic and the response to it...and we can disagree about what the correct response is....has forced a change upon the marketplace. As online learning becomes more prevalent, brick and mortar institutions wil suffer. Can BGSU survive a shift away from brick and mortar learning? I get the sense that a lot of universities aren't going to survive this. I've read some estimates that the failure rate could be in the double digits (one educated guess at 25%).

I see it in my job. We shuttered a number of our 200 locations when the pandemic hit. Last month I was xferred into an office that had been closed for 90+ days...I'm slowly bringing it back around, but I'm at maybe 50% of the pre pandemic levels. We have locations that were abandoned by the previous agents who just never came back from unemployment. We're relying more on remote sales and the use of tech in office. Will we need as many locations and bodies in the future?

Online learning has become a necessity right now. However, with the large number of students protesting the online format (they cannot learn that way, this isn't what they paid for, etc.) I could actually see in-person classes rebounding significantly after this is over. I think it's one of those times where you don't realize how good something is until you've lost it.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:27 am

There are a million reasons to be “on site” for college, most of which have nothing to do with “book learning”. We need to save this way of life. We are indeed teetering..... Saving Football is our part. We must demand that we play.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby drumstix2388 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:29 am

I really hope the NCAA just moves the sports to the spring and cancels all fall sports. It's going to be too dangerous to have it by this fall, and if they can actually get some preventative measures (masks, bans on gatherings) mandated in the next few weeks, we'd probably be able to have fans in the stands by spring.

I'd also like to say this is not me taking a political stand, as I have been accused of many, many times, this is me speaking as someone who works with epidemiologists at a research hospital where they are rapidly racing towards capacity.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falco_peregrinusana » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:24 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:I really hope the NCAA just moves the sports to the spring and cancels all fall sports. It's going to be too dangerous to have it by this fall, and if they can actually get some preventative measures (masks, bans on gatherings) mandated in the next few weeks, we'd probably be able to have fans in the stands by spring.

I'd also like to say this is not me taking a political stand, as I have been accused of many, many times, this is me speaking as someone who works with epidemiologists at a research hospital where they are rapidly racing towards capacity.

With you 100%... it seems like a slam dunk to me, and the only option if you want fans
Falco_peregrinusana
Egg
Egg

Postby MarkL » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:35 pm

I would be worried about the turf being too hard in early spring. Remember when the Vikings played at TCF field after the Metrodome collapsed? The turf will be rock hard in many places. I have to wonder if it makes sense then to play indoors until spring break. All MAC games at Ford Field? Sounds ... interesting.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:15 pm

MarkL wrote:I would be worried about the turf being too hard in early spring.

Let's do this! Maybe Mark Miller can offer some pointers.

Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby Flipper » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:01 pm

The Michigan Panthers would have been a competitive NFL team....
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby threestooges » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:06 pm

Flipper wrote:The Michigan Panthers would have been a competitive NFL team....

They were a great team. At the risk of getting political on here, a certain USFL owner led that league straight out of existence.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falco_peregrinusana » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:44 am

Falconwriter wrote:From what I've seen, standard language in these gives either party the right to cancel without penalty in cases of things considered to be natural catastrophes. Not sure if pandemics, per se, are in that language, but it wouldn't surprise me. This would mean no penalty and no money for BG. Period. Putting the football program aside, if BG isn't getting these big payouts, the entire athletic budget gets whacked -- again. Don't be surprised if other sports are now on the chopping block (assuming they lose this income). And if students don't come to class this year...it will be close to a disaster for the athletic program. I'd say all men's sports with the exception of basketball, football and hockey, will be on the block (baseball has a 3 year grace period for now). Some women's teams will also be in jeopardy, but with Title IX, it's far more likely we see 2 or 3 men's teams go first. I'd say golf and soccer would be next up, if guessing.

From what I have read... Osu and Illinois will have a problem implementing the catastrophic clause if they play a big ten season. Hard to justify a catastrophy that is too serious for one game but not enough for another
Falco_peregrinusana
Egg
Egg

Postby pdt1081 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:53 am

Falco_peregrinusana wrote:From what I have read... Osu and Illinois will have a problem implementing the catastrophic clause if they play a big ten season. Hard to justify a catastrophy that is too serious for one game but not enough for another

At which point the contract will be renegotiated and settled for a lesser amount. Lesser amount because you still want to be on their schedule in the future.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Football