Can BGSU football survive if...

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Can BGSU football survive if...

Postby slashba33 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:55 pm

Now that the BIG-10 has gone to a conference only schedule, that pulls Illinois off the table. Can ANY team in the MAC survive playing a MAC only schedule without the Power 5 pay-day games included?? Will they survive NOT having football for a season??
BG Warrior!!
1 of 5 BG Alumni in the Family!
slashba33
Chick
Chick

Re: Can BGSU football survive if...

Postby roguewarrior » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:12 pm

slashba33 wrote:Now that the BIG-10 has gone to a conference only schedule, that pulls Illinois off the table. Can ANY team in the MAC survive playing a MAC only schedule without the Power 5 pay-day games included?? Will they survive NOT having football for a season??

You forgot about Ohio State. Wonder how much $$ we lost between the two?
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby MarkL » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:21 pm

The contracts for these games are public as they are agreements between public institutions. Anyone know where to find them?
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:28 pm

MarkL wrote:The contracts for these games are public as they are agreements between public institutions. Anyone know where to find them?

The Blade's beat writer has tweeted that the Ohio State contract was $1.2 million and the Illinois contract was $1 million.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller

Postby MarkL » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:38 pm

I'm interested in the language about backing out or rescheduling. Wondering if the games are considered canceled by the Big Ten ADs if we can just get buyouts.

Still a bummer. Just out of human curiosity I was wondering what these games would look like given the circumstances.
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby threestooges » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:09 pm

MarkL wrote:I'm interested in the language about backing out or rescheduling. Wondering if the games are considered canceled by the Big Ten ADs if we can just get buyouts.

Still a bummer. Just out of human curiosity I was wondering what these games would look like given the circumstances.

My guess, keeping in mind that I know absolutely nothing, is that the schools work to reschedule another game for sometime down the road. That obviously wouldn't help us right now from a $$$ standpoint, though.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:32 pm

I would guess BGSU would have a tough legal fight in regards to the contracts. More likely no real fight. I doubt they would have got the full amount in a situation with limited fans either. I have no idea what the options are, but they will have to get out of expenses immediately. How much longer are they going to house the football team in hotels?
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:10 pm

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2020/07/ohio-state-other-big-ten-football-programs-who-supported-mac-for-years-are-not-villains-today-buckeye-take.html

If BG reschedules this year's game at OSU will they be able to renegotiate the deal. I found it interesting that in the article above that BG was getting $1.2 while Buffalo gets $1.8. How does this happen, half a million for additional travel?
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:17 pm

Possibly take a look who is doing the negotiations for BGSU.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:23 pm

“The decision by the Big Ten is the tip of the iceberg,” Moosbrugger wrote. “The FBS conferences have signed a college football playoff agreement with an expectation that we will work together for the good of college football. If we are to solve these challenges and be truly dedicated to protecting the health and safety of our student-athletes, we need to do a better job of working together.”

That's an interesting statement. Is Moose implying there is more leverage here for the G5 conferences than perhaps meets the eye?
Schadenfreude

Postby slashba33 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:29 pm

roguewarrior wrote:
slashba33 wrote:Now that the BIG-10 has gone to a conference only schedule, that pulls Illinois off the table. Can ANY team in the MAC survive playing a MAC only schedule without the Power 5 pay-day games included?? Will they survive NOT having football for a season??

You forgot about Ohio State. Wonder how much $$ we lost between the two?

You're right Rogue...I have mentally blocked that game from my mind after what happened in 2016.
BG Warrior!!
1 of 5 BG Alumni in the Family!
slashba33
Chick
Chick

Postby Falconwriter » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:51 am

From what I've seen, standard language in these gives either party the right to cancel without penalty in cases of things considered to be natural catastrophes. Not sure if pandemics, per se, are in that language, but it wouldn't surprise me. This would mean no penalty and no money for BG. Period. Putting the football program aside, if BG isn't getting these big payouts, the entire athletic budget gets whacked -- again. Don't be surprised if other sports are now on the chopping block (assuming they lose this income). And if students don't come to class this year...it will be close to a disaster for the athletic program. I'd say all men's sports with the exception of basketball, football and hockey, will be on the block (baseball has a 3 year grace period for now). Some women's teams will also be in jeopardy, but with Title IX, it's far more likely we see 2 or 3 men's teams go first. I'd say golf and soccer would be next up, if guessing.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:17 am

Kent will lose 6 million this season w paydays from Penn st, Alabama and Kentucky ( assuming alabama and Kentucky go the way of the big 10). Their annual budget is 6 million......
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby MarkL » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:01 am

If you can open up your wallets, now is a good time ...
MarkL has spoken.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:00 am

This goes beyond football. The pandemic and the response to it...and we can disagree about what the correct response is....has forced a change upon the marketplace. As online learning becomes more prevalent, brick and mortar institutions wil suffer. Can BGSU survive a shift away from brick and mortar learning? I get the sense that a lot of universities aren't going to survive this. I've read some estimates that the failure rate could be in the double digits (one educated guess at 25%).

I see it in my job. We shuttered a number of our 200 locations when the pandemic hit. Last month I was xferred into an office that had been closed for 90+ days...I'm slowly bringing it back around, but I'm at maybe 50% of the pre pandemic levels. We have locations that were abandoned by the previous agents who just never came back from unemployment. We're relying more on remote sales and the use of tech in office. Will we need as many locations and bodies in the future?
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Next

Return to Football