2020 schedule changes to come?

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: 2020 schedule changes to come?

Postby Flipper » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:41 pm

Re the death rates...many people have died and it is sad. But...those numbers were inflated by the disastrous decision in several states to eschew the use of emergency hospitals or hospital ships in favor of nursing homes. Older people are more susceptible to the virus than the young so this was tantamount to putting the wolf in the hen house with a bib and a bottle of bbq sauce. There are also anecdotal reports of deaths of people who died "with" Covid as dying from Covid. We have no way of really knowing at this point how many of those cases there are, but that type of counting would inflate the death toll. (in MI the age of death from Covid is just over 75 years that suggests a heavy influence from nursing homes).

Re kids and schools...latest research from Europe suggests kids are more of a brake to the spread than anything else...that they aren't very good at transmitting the disease. From a risk/reward perspective...I think keeping the kids home will do more harm than good
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Falcon Commander » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:46 pm

Show our Spirit,
Make them Fear it,
Fight for Dear Bee Gee.

REBUILD-ING --> BG HOCKEY!!
Falcon Commander
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGDrew » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:33 am

Cause of death and contributing factors are not the same thing.
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby fredthefalcon » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:46 am

Flipper wrote:. There are also anecdotal reports of deaths of people who died "with" Covid as dying from Covid. We have no way of really knowing at this point how many of those cases there are, but that type of counting would inflate the death toll.

Flipper I know you said "anecdotal" and that is probably a good word for "playing telephone" where the message gets garbled or is entirely false to begin with. While mistakes happen all the time. here is an article in today's Free Press from a doctor who indicates most if not all of these anecdotal remarks are conspiracy theories not based in fact. While anyone can disagree I will still take the word of a person directly involved rather than rumor.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 455581002/
fredthefalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:10 pm

Interesting article Fred...The State will go back through death certs and add "covid deaths" to the total. I wonder if they're taking a look at some of the people the Dr's in the article listed as dying with Covid and changing them to dying from Covid
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Globetrotter » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:31 am

Flipper wrote:Interesting article Fred...The State will go back through death certs and add "covid deaths" to the total. I wonder if they're taking a look at some of the people the Dr's in the article listed as dying with Covid and changing them to dying from Covid

That matters a lot.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby MarkL » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:17 pm

MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:49 pm

Brutal. He's asymptomatic, which is good, but just knowing he has it and the idea of quarantining for 14 days has to be weighing on him.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:13 pm

mbenecke wrote:

Brutal. He's asymptomatic, which is good, but just knowing he has it and the idea of quarantining for 14 days has to be weighing on him.

Brutal? He’s asymptomatic. Blade said 10 day quarantine. My son had it. 10 day was the protocol. Temp spiked to 99 degrees and had a dry throat for a day.... real gut wrencher.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby threestooges » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:19 pm

Wow. OK. Yep. Thanks. At some point, what can you even say any more?

I guess the only thing TO say is thank goodness for the "add foe" button.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:55 am

roguewarrior wrote:
mbenecke wrote:

Brutal? He’s asymptomatic. Blade said 10 day quarantine. My son had it. 10 day was the protocol. Temp spiked to 99 degrees and had a dry throat for a day.... real gut wrencher.

Brutal because despite being asymptomatic, anyone he has come into contact with (including his own family members, his players and staff, his neighbor, the guy who delivered him a pizza, his mailman, etc.), plus anyone THEY have come into contact with, between the time he was exposed and the time he tested positive now also may be infected, and it may impact them in a worse way. I feel like that's the point that is still somehow lost on a lot of people. That's why this virus is such a difficult thing to deal with.

I know I would feel awful if I had it, felt fine, then gave it to my mother-in-law (or any older person, for that matter) and it killed her. There's just still so much that we don't know about this virus that makes it nearly impossible to feel completely sure how to proceed.

I hope we have a football season. I truly do, but that's because I hope there is a safe vaccine or legitimate treatment that comes up first. If there isn't, I don't know if there is a path forward without extreme measures being taken. I'm just hoping for the best.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby kdog27 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:33 am

mbenecke wrote: I hope we have a football season. I truly do, but that's because I hope there is a safe vaccine or legitimate treatment that comes up first. If there isn't, I don't know if there is a path forward without extreme measures being taken. I'm just hoping for the best.

Meh I hope there isn’t for the selfish reason that I can see roguewarrior cry about it all year.
kdog27
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:00 am

At this point...one can easily argue that this isn't the same virus it was in February or March. We keep hearing about "cases"...but that's a meaningless number without any additional context. Death rates are down. More asymptomatic cases are being identified, but we aren't given those numbers in the headlines...we just hear about "cases"....a number that might include the same person being counted multiple times...or does include people who didn't respond to a contact tracer.

I hate top say it...but we're becoming a nation of pussies
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby drumstix2388 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:40 am

Flipper wrote:At this point...one can easily argue that this isn't the same virus it was in February or March. We keep hearing about "cases"...but that's a meaningless number without any additional context. Death rates are down. More asymptomatic cases are being identified, but we aren't given those numbers in the headlines...we just hear about "cases"....a number that might include the same person being counted multiple times...or does include people who didn't respond to a contact tracer.

I hate top say it...but we're becoming a nation of pussies

I can confirm with certainty that people are not being counted multiple times. Every test for every person goes into a database and multiple tests on a person are not counted individually. The only way one person could be counted as multiple cases would be if they gave a different ID, which is a different problem.

There's a lot more I disagree with in your post, but I know that's a dead end. I just wanted to correct the weird rumor about the multiple counting. I'm briefed on these numbers for Nashville daily and have seen what the data looks like. Tons of people are testing positive multiple times but they are not reflected in the published reports.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby kdog27 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:44 am

I overheard this guy at the park. His second cousin by marriage has an accountant and her lawyers urologists great uncles dog trainer was in line to get tested. Line was long so he got out. Next day got a call from Nancy Pelosi that he tested positive for Covid. Don’t believe the numbers.
#FactsOnlyPlease
kdog27
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Football