2020 schedule changes to come?

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: 2020 schedule changes to come?

Postby Schadenfreude » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:32 pm

roguewarrior wrote:Are we worried about lawsuits, or playing football?

My worry is that, in trying to play football, BGSU may literally end up killing people who do not need to die.

If baseball with all its billions can't keep its paid professionals safe from this deadly pandemic, how in the world do we expect a bunch of 18-to-22-year-old amateurs disease-free and from being a vector for others?

It can't be done. The MAC should not play football this fall. It can't be done safely. A college football game is, by definition, a mass gathering. Mass gatherings are unsafe right now.

I love football. I love this team. I've been following the Falcons longer than the young men on this team have been alive.

It isn't worth it.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller

Postby roguewarrior » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:31 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:
guest44 wrote:It sounds as though Bob & crew maybe should shift the focus from finding more future opponents, to the current team and safety. Many players have taken to social media to voice those concerns today.

Was just coming here to post this. Very large contingent of impact players for BG speaking out on it not being safe to play right now.

Not a wonder why we haven’t won much lately... going outside the team on social media. The vast majority are all in.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby guest44 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:46 pm

The main reason they haven't won much lately was the hiring of Mike Jinks.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:03 pm

guest44 wrote:The main reason they haven't won much lately was the hiring of Mike Jinks.

And his recruiting.....
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby jpfalcon09 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:13 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
roguewarrior wrote:Are we worried about lawsuits, or playing football?

My worry is that, in trying to play football, BGSU may literally end up killing people who do not need to die.

If baseball with all its billions can't keep its paid professionals safe from this deadly pandemic, how in the world do we expect a bunch of 18-to-22-year-old amateurs disease-free and from being a vector for others?

It can't be done. The MAC should not play football this fall. It can't be done safely. A college football game is, by definition, a mass gathering. Mass gatherings are unsafe right now.

I love football. I love this team. I've been following the Falcons longer than the young men on this team have been alive.

It isn't worth it.

State order in Ohio banning crowds at any contact sporting events makes this an even bigger likelihood. BG probably stands to lose more money by playing without generating any ticket and parking revenue.

The whole situation across college sports is ridiculous. No leadership at all.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:27 pm

roguewarrior wrote:
drumstix2388 wrote:
guest44 wrote:It sounds as though Bob & crew maybe should shift the focus from finding more future opponents, to the current team and safety. Many players have taken to social media to voice those concerns today.

Was just coming here to post this. Very large contingent of impact players for BG speaking out on it not being safe to play right now.

Not a wonder why we haven’t won much lately... going outside the team on social media. The vast majority are all in.

Some of the players include Andrew Clair, Evan Brown, Quinten Morris, Karl Brooks, Ty Redding and Luke Harmon. I know you have your ear to the ground there, but those guys are respected leaders and I have a lot of trouble believing that the vast majority are all in with that lineup saying otherwise.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:10 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:
roguewarrior wrote:
drumstix2388 wrote:

Some of the players include Andrew Clair, Evan Brown, Quinten Morris, Karl Brooks, Ty Redding and Luke Harmon. I know you have your ear to the ground there, but those guys are respected leaders and I have a lot of trouble believing that the vast majority are all in with that lineup saying otherwise.

One on the team has an underlying condition with a legitimate concern, that might be better served at home, quarantined, than in public. There are another 70 or so that didn’t chime in. I Still can’t wrap my mind around how anyone thinks turning fall and no games into modified spring practice is going to save lives? It makes no sense. The only difference is players will get it, and you won’t read about it. Curious how it gets published anyway with HIPA laws.
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby guest44 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:42 pm

Mike Jinks recruiting was horrible also. Does anyone know if this was a Jinks recruit.?

https://www.sent-trib.com/news/former-b ... ium=social

Never forget BGSU led the country in arrests the off-season before Jinks was finally fired. Bob thought the media was exaggerating the numbers.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:42 pm

Mike Jinks recruiting was horrible also. Does anyone know if this was a Jinks recruit?

Never forget BGSU led the country in arrests the off-season before Jinks was finally fired. Bob thought the media was exaggerating the numbers.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:46 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:

Why were the players that tested positive given a test?
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:40 pm

guest44 wrote:Mike Jinks recruiting was horrible also. Does anyone know if this was a Jinks recruit?

Coach tossed him off the team. Don’t know if he was a Jinks recruit, or came before him. He is, however, a “Florida athlete” coveted by so many here. I like the 4 hour radius better.
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby MarkL » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:53 pm

He was a Babers recruit that never saw the field until 2018. He played a little in every game in 2018 and only had two carries in 2019, in the season opener. And those are some disturbing charges.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby footballguy51 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:18 am

The MAC hasn't cancelled the season yet because they are still holding out hope of making some money. If the MAC cancels the season, then we lose any chance at money games (or payout clauses in the contracts) and we now have to breach contracts with our other non-conference opponents. We also lose any chance at ticket revenue (when and if people are allowed to attend games), TV revenue, parking, concessions, etc. We also still incur the costs of scholarships, salaries and benefits, operations, and maintenance. I believe the NCAA will have to cancel the season or else the MAC will be out there trying to make some money. Almost all of our costs are fixed, and the costs associated with travel will most likely be covered by any revenue we do manage to get.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:46 am

Meanwhile, the kids of these people making these decisions at all levels, will be going to school remotely. Hypocrisy 101.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:00 am

footballguy51 wrote:The MAC hasn't cancelled the season yet because they are still holding out hope of making some money. If the MAC cancels the season, then we lose any chance at money games (or payout clauses in the contracts) and we now have to breach contracts with our other non-conference opponents.

Interesting. So perhaps the MAC is just waiting to officially make a decision that seems inevitable? I can see the logic.

I see our Robert Morris game is listed as postponed right now. (Perhaps RMU holds out hope of playing ball in the spring?) That means our first game is at home against Buffalo on Sept. 26. Perhaps we postpone that game, then postpone our game with Liberty on Oct. 3 if the MAC doesn't call off fall football before that.

(There is no school in Division I that I would less like to see Bowling Green playing in this pandemic than Liberty.)
Schadenfreude

PreviousNext

Return to Football