2020 schedule changes to come?

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: 2020 schedule changes to come?

Postby roguewarrior » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:16 pm

August 29 start is off... had they booked Bama, it was for 8/29. They would have had to start camp tomorrow, to meet practice regs. Camp starts 8/7 as planned , so Sept 5 earliest I believe.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby guest44 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:25 pm

So they booked Alabama with a 99% chance of the game not happening? Sounds like BG administration is tossing 70 yd bombs into the end zone at this point.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby footballguy51 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:08 pm

guest44 wrote:So they booked Alabama with a 99% chance of the game not happening? Sounds like BG administration is tossing 70 yd bombs into the end zone at this point.

I'm just guessing here, but it would give us a payday game to replace one we lost and it would allow us to not have to try and force one of those Big 10 teams to pay us to get out of their contract, thus allowing us to stay in their good graces.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Beaker » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:42 pm

I would be beyond shocked if there were any football this year. As soon as the season started, some team or maybe multiple teams would start getting positive tests reported (either actual or manufactured) and they would have to shut down. That would have a domino effect and the whole thing will come unraveled. Not that I’m advocating for no season, by any stretch, I just think the odds are that it’s not going to happen.
Beaker
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:19 am

guest44 wrote:So they booked Alabama with a 99% chance of the game not happening? Sounds like BG administration is tossing 70 yd bombs into the end zone at this point.

I was hesitant to mention what I knew.... because I knew some jack ass would turn it into an issue. They didn’t book it. They were discussing scheduling it. Ball State added Iowa State.... what’s the problem with trying to better your schedule?!? Weird.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby roguewarrior » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:25 am

Beaker wrote:I would be beyond shocked if there were any football this year. As soon as the season started, some team or maybe multiple teams would start getting positive tests reported (either actual or manufactured) and they would have to shut down. That would have a domino effect and the whole thing will come unraveled. Not that I’m advocating for no season, by any stretch, I just think the odds are that it’s not going to happen.

And if a team gets hit with a crippling quantity of positives, worst case they reschedule the game for the back end or forfeit. They quarantine for 10 days. Afterward, they should be good as a team for the remaining season. Why do people hear of an athlete with a positive test and act like they tore their ACL? It’s the sniffles, if anything at all shows, for a young athlete. And if someone becomes ill, you treat it.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby guest44 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:38 am

No problem with trying to better your schedule. But, it was about 99% it wouldn't happen regardless of whether it was at Alabama without fans or a intra squad scrimmage without fans. This is nothing but the people who make the money trying to self preserve. I'll check back on BGSU Football in 2021.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:32 am

I don’t think there will be any fall sports....you can call it just the “sniffles” but if one athlete has a bad reaction to it and gets really sick or god forbid dies the schools would be extremely vulnerable to a huge lawsuit. It’s not the plague but it is a new phenomenon. The medical community doesn’t know completely how it effects the body short term and long term.
Professional sports are a different animal and they can afford extra preventive measures to help reduce transmission risks. BG half asses everything... you think they are capable of properly meeting guidelines for 400+ student athletes. No chance.
Only hope is that we can get a vaccine that is effective and the risk of transmission reduces enough to get back to college athletics.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby Tony4BG » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:05 am

I agree with Beaker & Tommy. I will be very surprised if there is football in the Fall.

IF there is, I assume MAC will be conference only as well.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby roguewarrior » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:48 am

TommyG wrote:I don’t think there will be any fall sports....you can call it just the “sniffles” but if one athlete has a bad reaction to it and gets really sick or god forbid dies the schools would be extremely vulnerable to a huge lawsuit. It’s not the plague but it is a new phenomenon. The medical community doesn’t know completely how it effects the body short term and long term.
Professional sports are a different animal and they can afford extra preventive measures to help reduce transmission risks. BG half asses everything... you think they are capable of properly meeting guidelines for 400+ student athletes. No chance.
Only hope is that we can get a vaccine that is effective and the risk of transmission reduces enough to get back to college athletics.

Are we worried about lawsuits, or playing football? I don’t know how anyone can prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, where they picked up an invisible virus? Kids risk their lives everyday in practice and games... a far greater risk than this flu. Too much thinking, opinions.... just play. H1N1 will have killed as many in the end as this, with not a care by anyone. So many lives, Careers, businesses, ruined by fear mongering.......
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:11 am

roguewarrior wrote:
TommyG wrote:I don’t think there will be any fall sports....you can call it just the “sniffles” but if one athlete has a bad reaction to it and gets really sick or god forbid dies the schools would be extremely vulnerable to a huge lawsuit. It’s not the plague but it is a new phenomenon. The medical community doesn’t know completely how it effects the body short term and long term.

Are we worried about lawsuits, or playing football? I don’t know how anyone can prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, where they picked up an invisible virus? Kids risk their lives everyday in practice and games... a far greater risk than this flu. Too much thinking, opinions.... just play. H1N1 will have killed as many in the end as this, with not a care by anyone. So many lives, Careers, businesses, ruined by fear mongering.......

HOLY PHUCKING SCHEISS TOMMYG AND I AGREE ON SOMETHING! What's the temperature in Hell right now?

As a result, you're no longer on my block list but I'll have to keep you on probation through the hockey season (if there is one).
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:53 pm

roguewarrior wrote:

Logic and rational thinking is not required to file a lawsuit and hope you get a settlement because the university is scared to death -- or a sympathetic jury, if it gets that far. And to answer your first question: Yes, universities are definitely worried about lawsuits. Heck, they don't like any controversy and with this Board of Trustees, would probably cave right away (if you don't think so, just remember what happened to the former Gish theater name) or look how poorly they handled announcing the elimination of the baseball program.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:03 pm

Universities, athletic departments, employers, and really all the institutions are worried about about lawsuits and liability. And perhaps just as important, the court of public opinion. Imagine the PR disaster if a student dies of COVID.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:32 pm

PAC-12 going 10 game slate starting Sept. 26th. I'd expect the G5 to start announcing their plans next week. All fly by the seat of your pants with different conferences having different start dates and requirements. It'll be a MLB type cluster making this work.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:19 pm

roguewarrior wrote:

Ever served on a jury for a civil trial? I have. Yes, the universities, and every employer, are worried about lawsuits. Lawyers don't go after individuals who don't have money. They go after whoever has money. The trial I served for, was an "accident" involving a semi truck. Driver of the truck didn't get sued. They couldn't even find him to have him testify. The trucking company got sued. They lost because they picked 8 jurors, 6 of which were overly sympathetic women who had the mindset that the "victim" had to receive compensation for his sob story. Myself and the retired BGPD officer wanted to tell the guy to pound sand and own his actions. Yeah, the University of very worried about lawsuits.

The hockey team's Dr was hospitalized, and recovered, for Covid. The University is most definitely going to be overly cautious.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Football