2020 schedule changes to come?

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

2020 schedule changes to come?

Postby Schadenfreude » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:32 am

Sports Illustrated isn't what it used to be, but this still seems worth sharing: The publication is reporting that Big Ten schools are looking at dumping long road trips and replacing these games with nearby opponents who could drive in and out of town on game day.

In Michigan's case, this would mean dumping games with Washington and Arkansas State and trying to fill them in schools that are closer by.

"A number of sources contend there will be a few Big Ten schools that do not play football this fall. While there has been nothing officially released - in some part not to cause panic - Michigan (and other programs) are working behind the scenes to schedule Mid-American Conference and Conference USA opponents."

https://www.si.com/.amp-michigan/colleg ... m-harbaugh

This bears watching. It would be interesting to know if people closer to our program are hearing anything.

The biggest road trips on our calendar are probably the road game at Illinois and the home game with Liberty. Perhaps our schedule wouldn't need to change at all, or perhaps we'd opt to postpone the Liberty game and fill it in with a game against the Big Ten.

This is such a strange situation. I've long been looking forward to that Illinois game, but I'm not sure it will be safe to go.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller

Re: 2020 schedule changes to come?

Postby mbenecke » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:49 am

It seems like doing anything with the Liberty game would be tough, since it's Homecoming weekend. But anything and everything seems to be on the table right now.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:08 pm

There has been no conversations between coaches and players about schedule changes. That does not mean something behind the scenes could be in play.....We do not have any long roadies, so I can’t imagine our schedule requiring change.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby MarkL » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:27 pm

I had been wondering about that myself after I saw that article on a Michigan blog. The game that came to mind is Illinois. The reason there is speculation that several Big Ten programs will cancel seasons.

If one Big Ten program is canceling, it is Rutgers. If multiple are, no susprise here if Illinois and Northwestern both cancel due to proximity to Chicago. In that event, I bet we play at UM or MSU. Talk about a rough non conference schedule!

Also ... supposedly Ivy League is about to push their entire football season to spring. I have to wonder if all of FCS would follow. And if so, would FBS follow suit? And would that even be wise?
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falco_peregrinusana » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:22 pm

I would LOVE to see the ncaa move football to the spring... the main reason is that I would love to go the games and I am doubting greatly if there will be attendance in the fall. By spring, I believe the landscape will be significantly more conducive to large gatherings being allowed.
Falco_peregrinusana
Egg
Egg

Postby mbenecke » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:51 pm

The Ivy League has canceled fall sports, with the idea that they might consider playing them in the spring. No idea how/if that impacts us, but I wouldn't be shocked if ALL of the FCS followed, meaning Robert Morris might come off of our schedule.

Also, the state of Ohio (Governor DeWine and the OHSAA) finally decided to start a mask campaign to "save sports" that countless athletes, coaches, and administrators have joined. If we wear masks in public, we might still have a season - but it's absolutely clear now that there is a real possibility that fall sports are going to be canceled if we don't get things turned around soon. That's 100% the reality we're facing, at this stage of the pandemic.

By choosing not to wear a mask in public, you're choosing not to have football. So, if you want a season, follow the advice of health officials and just please wear a mask to keep yourself and others safe, and to make sure we can root for our Falcons this fall. Period.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:41 pm

mbenecke wrote:
Also, the state of Ohio (Governor DeWine and the OHSAA) finally decided to start a mask campaign to "save sports" that countless athletes, coaches, and administrators have joined. If we wear masks in public, we might still have a season - but it's absolutely clear now that there is a real possibility that fall sports are going to be canceled if we don't get things turned around soon. That's 100% the reality we're facing, at this stage of the pandemic.

By choosing not to wear a mask in public, you're choosing not to have football. So, if you want a season, follow the advice of health officials and just please wear a mask to keep yourself and others safe, and to make sure we can root for our Falcons this fall. Period.

If that's the case, cancel them.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:40 pm

Our first opponent, Ohio State, just got the results back from some COVID-19 testing and shut down all voluntary workouts. Not a good sign.

https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/2020 ... 19-testing
Schadenfreude

Postby Tony4BG » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:03 pm

North Carolina stopped workouts too.

Crazy Clemson has almost 40 cases and still going.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby mbenecke » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:11 am

Schadenfreude wrote:Our first opponent, Ohio State, just got the results back from some COVID-19 testing and shut down all voluntary workouts. Not a good sign.

https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/2020 ... 19-testing

These were from the entire athletic department and fall sports that have resumed practices, not just football.

Regardless, you're right - this isn't a good sign.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:36 am

I can't believe there are still people that think we'll have college sports in the fall.

The NFL will probably find a way to control every variable and play, but college sports with kids on campuses? I just can't see it happening.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby mbenecke » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:40 am

hammb wrote:I can't believe there are still people that think we'll have college sports in the fall.

The NFL will probably find a way to control every variable and play, but college sports with kids on campuses? I just can't see it happening.

I generally agree with this. But I don't think they are going to make the decision to cancel fall college sports right away. With so much money at stake, I see the people in charge postponing and punting the decision to January in hopes that they can somehow manage a spring season. I still don't think that'll happen, but I feel like they will exhaust every possible option in order to hold off the inevitable.

I think pro sports will be fine, if the athletes and coaches stay true to the bubble. But I just don't see how you can have college athletics until there is a vaccine. It's especially unethical to send 18-22 year olds into harm's way without pay (this isn't a concussion or "pay the players" commentary, but it's a real consideration in the middle of a pandemic).
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby gspointer » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:53 am

I just did not see a season either. With players sidelined to infection it would be an asterisk season at best
gspointer
Chick
Chick

Postby MarkL » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:04 am

If there were to be a football season, there are a bunch of models proposed. The model I like is for every team to play two weekends in a row, followed by a bye week, so 14 day quarantines for infected players will minimize impact. The result is a shortened season, ie 8 or 10 games. There would be an asterisk on every conference champ, but a shortened strange season is better than no season. At least there would be some amount of normalcy to this bizarro world.

That said, I read on a Big Ten blog to expect a final decision next week, and that as of right now there is not a viable path to having a fall football season.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:06 pm

MarkL wrote:If there were to be a football season, there are a bunch of models proposed. The model I like is for every team to play two weekends in a row, followed by a bye week, so 14 day quarantines for infected players will minimize impact. The result is a shortened season, ie 8 or 10 games. There would be an asterisk on every conference champ, but a shortened strange season is better than no season. At least there would be some amount of normalcy to this bizarro world.

That said, I read on a Big Ten blog to expect a final decision next week, and that as of right now there is not a viable path to having a fall football season.

I think I could see an 8 game regular season of just conference games, then a college football playoff with 8 teams (expansion because of the lack of non-conference match-ups to gauge conference strength) in which all P5 champions get in and there are 3 wildcard slots. There would only be a playoff - no other bowl games would be played.

This feels like the absolute best case scenario right now, and it doesn't seem likely.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Football