SCHOOL is OPENING...

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: SCHOOL is OPENING...

Postby Tony4BG » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:49 am

roguewarrior wrote:
Globetrotter wrote:
roguewarrior wrote:We listened to them, we don’t listen to them, an outcry when we defund them, now they are wrong when they admit they were wrong.... whatever ....

It’s a bad flu. It hurts unhealthy and really old people. Stay home if your are ILL. Get back to school, work and Football!

Is this real life? No smart person thinks this is a bad flu!

A smart person does not panic over a condition with a ~99.97% survival rate.

Curious why you think that is survival rate??
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby drumstix2388 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:00 am

Tony4BG wrote:
roguewarrior wrote:
Globetrotter wrote:
roguewarrior wrote:We listened to them, we don’t listen to them, an outcry when we defund them, now they are wrong when they admit they were wrong.... whatever ....

It’s a bad flu. It hurts unhealthy and really old people. Stay home if your are ILL. Get back to school, work and Football!

Yeah, it's around 98% at best guess, and the long lasting effects of those who recover is undetermined, but likely to be a lot more severe than we are anticipating. I think the survival and recovery rate for people who are college athletes is probably is probably just about 100%, but my concern lies with the coaches/parents/athletic staffs. If they handle it correctly, there is no reason we shouldn't have college sports by fall, but let's not discount the severity of the illness as a justification.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:10 am

There is a multi page document of protocols and phases in place, for the players return. I suspect it is the same for all MAC schools. Off campus players arrive a week before on campus. Masks, separations, position groups not together, limited use of spaces, etc.... very overboard to err to caution. We will be fine.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby FalconTurf » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:21 am

drumstix2388 wrote:
Tony4BG wrote:
roguewarrior wrote:
Globetrotter wrote:

Yeah, it's around 98% at best guess, and the long lasting effects of those who recover is undetermined, but likely to be a lot more severe than we are anticipating. I think the survival and recovery rate for people who are college athletes is probably is probably just about 100%, but my concern lies with the coaches/parents/athletic staffs. If they handle it correctly, there is no reason we shouldn't have college sports by fall, but let's not discount the severity of the illness as a justification.

We seem to have a lot of people in the world spreading facts without anything to back those facts up. My concern for the athletes is that these are special people that process oxygen better than any of us, unless you're a marathoner or some similar type of weekend athlete. Nobody knows what this will do to their system long term or what affect this will have on the spread. It certainly appears we can open things up but to act as though it's no big deal and throw out unverified grand numbers and suggests that there is no effect on our athletes without research is dangerous. Caution and further research, which unfortunately takes time, is the road for an educated society. I'm not sure as a society we want to be an educated society and that's a tough position for college presidents. I have no numbers or research so I hope those pushing the return to normal are correct so we don't go into this deeper because I can't imagine the destruction that will do to people, businesses and our country.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:28 am

roguewarrior wrote:There is a multi page document of protocols and phases in place, for the players return. I suspect it is the same for all MAC schools. Off campus players arrive a week before on campus. Masks, separations, position groups not together, limited use of spaces, etc.... very overboard to err to caution. We will be fine.

A friend of my son left for the Marines this weekend. He will be in supervised quarantine for 2 weeks before he begins basic training. It's tough to separate a group of college athletes in the same manner.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:40 am

FalconTurf wrote:
roguewarrior wrote:There is a multi page document of protocols and phases in place, for the players return. I suspect it is the same for all MAC schools. Off campus players arrive a week before on campus. Masks, separations, position groups not together, limited use of spaces, etc.... very overboard to err to caution. We will be fine.

A friend of my son left for the Marines this weekend. He will be in supervised quarantine for 2 weeks before he begins basic training. It's tough to separate a group of college athletes in the same manner.

They are. It is all planned out.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby threestooges » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:41 am

drumstix2388 wrote:Yeah, it's around 98% at best guess, and the long lasting effects of those who recover is undetermined, but likely to be a lot more severe than we are anticipating. I think the survival and recovery rate for people who are college athletes is probably is probably just about 100%, but my concern lies with the coaches/parents/athletic staffs. If they handle it correctly, there is no reason we shouldn't have college sports by fall, but let's not discount the severity of the illness as a justification.

Very well said. Thank you.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:42 pm

Not sure why the impact or long term issues are "likely to be severe" when ...outside of the at risk populations, namly older people with comorbidities..the impact of the disease has been negligible.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby drumstix2388 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:51 pm

Flipper wrote:Not sure why the impact or long term issues are "likely to be severe" when ...outside of the at risk populations, namly older people with comorbidities..the impact of the disease has been negligible.

It's based on blood tests and lung scarring that has been found on people who have recovered. It's not a for sure thing (nothing will be until we are 10-15 years out), but all signs point to issues with blood clots and pulmonary failures in the long-term for some people. I get that it looks negligible now, but I work directly with epidemiologists, emergency care doctors, and a team working on a vaccine at a research hospital, and I have been assured that, even in my early 30s, this isn't something that is worth taking unnecessary risks with.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:54 pm

Flipper wrote:Not sure why the impact or long term issues are "likely to be severe" when ...outside of the at risk populations, namly older people with comorbidities..the impact of the disease has been negligible.

Paranoia is the reason. I can’t wait to learn how many on the team/staff already have the antibody. I would wager 25% min.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby Flipper » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:42 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:

It's based on blood tests and lung scarring that has been found on people who have recovered. It's not a for sure thing (nothing will be until we are 10-15 years out), but all signs point to issues with blood clots and pulmonary failures in the long-term for some people. I get that it looks negligible now, but I work directly with epidemiologists, emergency care doctors, and a team working on a vaccine at a research hospital, and I have been assured that, even in my early 30s, this isn't something that is worth taking unnecessary risks with.

I have no doubt that there could be serious implications for some...but I have to question the impact on the broader population when those people in the younger populations simply aren't getting the disease...or if they do it's barely noticeable. You may have a very difficult time in beginning long term studies on collegiate athletes as the number of them infected or soon to be infected will be too low to generate much of a study
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Falconwriter » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:32 pm

roguewarrior wrote:

Paranoia is the reason. I can’t wait to learn how many on the team/staff already have the antibody. I would wager 25% min.

You are way too high. I doubt very much that community spread is 1 of 4 at this point.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:49 pm

Falconwriter wrote:
roguewarrior wrote:

You are way too high. I doubt very much that community spread is 1 of 4 at this point.

We will see. Just a hunch based on reports we stopped hearing about coming from other states. Coaches were flying all over during pre lock down. Dorms and apartments with closed loop air and close quarters. Recruits in and out. Heavy training together.... 25% is my over/under, if I am booking it...
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby Globetrotter » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:38 pm

pdt1081 wrote:
Globetrotter wrote:It's the biggest cause of death each week now in the states and growing. The media doesn't create statistics.

You probably want to recheck your statistics there. Especially if you're relying on the media for them.

On a daily basis?
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby Globetrotter » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:47 pm

footballguy51 wrote:This virus is either the worst thing ever or it’s blown way out of proportion. It all depends on your experience with the virus. People personally affected by it (they got sick, a family member got sick, a friend got sick, they work in healthcare and saw people sick) will say this is the worst thing. People with no personal experience will say this is all just a bad flu. It’s all just perspective. This is exactly what is happening with the BLM movement.

A person’s experiences shape their perspective. What’s interesting is everybody is speaking the truth because it is the truth that they know. The more that each side tries to bash the other side into submission, the more the two sides will just argue and get nowhere. Perhaps we need to just listen to each other and seek to understand.

For something perhaps a little less politically charged, think about the pit bull breed of dog. Either they are extremely vicious and should be kept away from children and other dogs, or they are gentle dogs that are misunderstood and perhaps only bred for violence in specific cases. If you reflect upon your opinion of that one, I can almost guarantee it is because of your experience with that specific breed.

This is called the death of expertise. It's the same thing with people who ignore climate change because it's not directly effecting them today.

It's not just perspective. It's a reality. The virus doesn't not exist because you haven't been in touch with it yet. This isn't like green jelly beans are the best jelly beans.

And btw pit bulls were bred to be both aggressive and overly strong. That's in their breeding. Part English Bull dog, part rat terrier. To attack Bulls and Bears. And they kill more people each year than any other dog. If someone has an opinion that they are not dangerous that goes directly against reality. If they want to own a dangerous animal that's up to them.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

PreviousNext

Return to Football