SCHOOL is OPENING...

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

SCHOOL is OPENING...

Postby Falcon Commander » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:06 pm

Amy Steigerwald
@AmySteigerwald
·

Hey Falcons...just thought you’d want to know: BGSU officials tell me the plan is to have students back on-campus AND in dorms this fall!
Details are still being worked out and will announced mid-June
Show our Spirit,
Make them Fear it,
Fight for Dear Bee Gee.

REBUILD-ING --> BG HOCKEY!!
Falcon Commander
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: SCHOOL is OPENING...

Postby MarkL » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:42 pm

I suspect that will be the case for all six Ohio MAC universities. Not sure about any other state. Regardless, if a university is not in session on campus, I cannot imagine sports will be on.

Side note. I saw that at least five Alabama players tested positive for the virus upon return. Football by nature is not a "social distance" sport. I'm sure mitigations are well planned for how to handle BG players in this situation.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:23 am

I will wager that 50% plus of the team and staff have already had it. Close quarters, living in dorms, training together in groups, 3 contact practices, with coaches that traveled and flew all over the place at that time, recruits in and out from everywhere...... Most likely asymptomatic, some probably had symptoms too....thankfully, most of the players are very fit, under 90 years old and not confined to a nursing home.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby roguewarrior » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:30 am

MSU veteran players report June 15. 2020’s report June 28. They have odd distancing rules and quarantining before practice... maybe it’s Michigan rules... they have a whacked out governor. All teams must align NCAA, conference, State and school with regard to return.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby FalconTurf » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:01 pm

I hope we don’t downplay the seriousness of Covid-19 but I think we have improved the knowledge curve while flattening the serious case curve. My aunt (early 60’s) just came home from 10 days in the hospital that included a 5-day plasma therapy, no ventilator. The treatments and new health standards might have us turning the corner. Let’s not give our athletes a false sense of security that might ruin the fall season. I see this as a greatly reduced threat that still needs attention. Colleges should lead the way back to normal.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:30 pm

FalconTurf wrote:I hope we don’t downplay the seriousness of Covid-19 but I think we have improved the knowledge curve while flattening the serious case curve. My aunt (early 60’s) just came home from 10 days in the hospital that included a 5-day plasma therapy, no ventilator. The treatments and new health standards might have us turning the corner. Let’s not give our athletes a false sense of security that might ruin the fall season. I see this as a greatly reduced threat that still needs attention. Colleges should lead the way back to normal.

Agreed. I've had two friends in their 30s get it and it was no picnic, and personally know one person who died from it back in late March (older, underlying health issues, etc.). It's no joke, but as long as the players and coaches are tested regularly and are careful about who they see away from the field, things should trend towards a full season.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:34 pm

Everything I've read indicates healthy young adults (under the age of 30) have little to fear from the virus. Without a firm idea re the numbers of people...and it could be a far larger number than we thought...who are asymptomatic, it's tough to say how dangerous the virus actually is.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby roguewarrior » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:32 pm

Flipper wrote:Everything I've read indicates healthy young adults (under the age of 30) have little to fear from the virus. Without a firm idea re the numbers of people...and it could be a far larger number than we thought...who are asymptomatic, it's tough to say how dangerous the virus actually is.

AND the WHO announced today that asymptomatic Carriers essentially DO NOT spread the virus to otherwise healthy people. End this charade and get back to work.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby Tony4BG » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:44 am

roguewarrior wrote:
Flipper wrote:Everything I've read indicates healthy young adults (under the age of 30) have little to fear from the virus. Without a firm idea re the numbers of people...and it could be a far larger number than we thought...who are asymptomatic, it's tough to say how dangerous the virus actually is.

AND the WHO announced today that asymptomatic Carriers essentially DO NOT spread the virus to otherwise healthy people. End this charade and get back to work.

And the lady that gave the answer already had to clarify what she said and several of our experts have said she was incorrect. And now all of the sudden, we will listen to WHO? Weird how that works! They were just completely defunded.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby roguewarrior » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:00 am

We listened to them, we don’t listen to them, an outcry when we defund them, now they are wrong when they admit they were wrong.... whatever ....

It’s a bad flu. It hurts unhealthy and really old people. Stay home if your are ILL. Get back to school, work and Football!
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby It's the Journey... » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:36 am

I have read that as well. But we need to make sure we are focused on the bigger picture. I agree college aged kids will, and have fared well during the pandemic. But what about the faculty and staff who they will interact with daily on campus? I think some are forgetting about that second half of the equation. BGSU relies on students to learn, and teachers to educate. What happens when that latter group gets hit? I don't have the answers, but the question need to be asked.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:27 pm

For those of you thinking it’s “ flu like” we have a family member who is now in hospital for 70+ days! FWIW, he’s in mid 50s, has suffered a heart attack, mild stroke, been on ventilator for at least 6 weeks. An active guy who plays in a band ( caught it from another guy in group). Yesterday, had a tracheotomy to help breathing etc. odd part of it, he passed it on to his wife, who has immunity problems. She’s been home for 2 months and doing well while he’s experienced just about every side effect possible.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:41 pm

roguewarrior wrote:We listened to them, we don’t listen to them, an outcry when we defund them, now they are wrong when they admit they were wrong.... whatever ....

It’s a bad flu. It hurts unhealthy and really old people. Stay home if your are ILL. Get back to school, work and Football!

All well and good until a football player gets it and dies. Then all Hell breaks loose.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:50 am

roguewarrior wrote:maybe it’s Michigan rules... they have a whacked out governor. .

I like her. Maybe we should stick to football, though?
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby Flipper » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:52 pm

Speaking of Michigan...apolitically...I work for a chain of hi risk auto agencies. Since the CoVid outbreak got rolling I was running the Adrian office. The Virus was largely a non factor there in Lenawee county. I went to work every day...never wore a mask because we had a plexi shield on my desk. Out in public maybe half the people wore masks...I did a couple of times while grocery shopping, but it was uncomfortable, so I stopped.

On Tuesday I got shifted over to an office in Western Wayne county that had not been opened since the whole thing started. Wayne county is essentially ground zero for this thing in MI. Everyone is wearing masks, so i figured I should probably start doing so,...at least if I'm shopping in the area.

The whole experience has been kind of surreal for me. Most everyone I know has been stuck at home. Me...because I'm an essential employee (carrying a letter that says I am no less)..I've lived life pretty much like I always do
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Next

Return to Football