Cost of BGSU Football

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Cost of BGSU Football

Postby guest44 » Fri May 29, 2020 6:42 pm

BG is ranked the 8th best job in the MAC because they haven't been to the tournament in over 50 years. Yes, Bowling Green has finished in the top 3 the past two seasons. They faltered down the stretch of both regular seasons. This year was and should have been the perfect storm. Turner back, Nate Oats leaves Buffalo, and picked to win the MAC. Bowling Green would have been underdogs in every game of the MAC Tournament with the exception of Northern Illinois which they would have been slight favorite. They underachieved. Ohio was ranked higher in the KenPom in Boals first year. They will only get better. Frye quit halfway through the season. Any other program would have gotten torched for that, Huger basically never had to answer for it. He has a losing conference record, and his .540 winning percentage is based on consistently soft non conference schedule. That's now 5 years of Frack money, money that won't last forever. When compared to Sleepy Lou, yes Huger is an upgrade. But, Frack didn't give the money so Bowling Green could brag it has 7 uniform combinations, and to play Oakland as the top out of conference home game. Huger is living off the horrible standards that came before him. Frack's money has a shelf life and Huger better get Bowling Green to the tournament or that will really seem like a another ridiculous 8 year tenure, where all that was accomplished was a nearly tripling of coaching salaries for the next person. While, Bowling Green never got to see the possibility of a MAC Tournament run, Huger also didn't have to see a potential loss to Toledo and real stink of that finish to the season.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Sun May 31, 2020 7:53 pm

How is the Frack money not lasting forever? It’s a $20 mill investment that will perpetually raise just over $600,000 every year, forever. What ticks me off is that money is covering part of the normal budget and gets the program only a little extra.

Band seating donated at the Doyt - abandoned.
Naming right for baseball stadium - abandoned.
Additional money for basketball - into budget apparently.

If memory serves me correctly this is why donations to the hockey program dried up instead of continuing to raise the program after ‘84. These financial errors are costly long-term and someone needs to tell the AD to STOP and study the history.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Roll Along! » Sun May 31, 2020 11:45 pm

FalconTurf wrote:How is the Frack money not lasting forever? It’s a $20 mill investment that will perpetually raise just over $600,000 every year, forever. What ticks me off is that money is covering part of the normal budget and gets the program only a little extra.

If memory serves me correctly this is why donations to the hockey program dried up instead of continuing to raise the program after ‘84. These financial errors are costly long-term and someone needs to tell the AD to STOP and study the history.

Related to the Frack gift, all of that is just mindless message board chatter. The foundation that handles the Frack gift from down in Findlay demands that the basketball operating budget stays at a certain level. Every dollar that rolls off the endowment and is spent by basketball must be approved by the foundation per Bill Franck’s wishes for how it is spent. And the endowment will last forever because only the interest on the money is spent.
Roll Along!
Egg
Egg

Postby hammb » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:31 am

Roll Along! wrote:
FalconTurf wrote:How is the Frack money not lasting forever? It’s a $20 mill investment that will perpetually raise just over $600,000 every year, forever. What ticks me off is that money is covering part of the normal budget and gets the program only a little extra.

Related to the Frack gift, all of that is just mindless message board chatter. The foundation that handles the Frack gift from down in Findlay demands that the basketball operating budget stays at a certain level. Every dollar that rolls off the endowment and is spent by basketball must be approved by the foundation per Bill Franck’s wishes for how it is spent. And the endowment will last forever because only the interest on the money is spent.

Obviously it's an endowment, the money will last basically forever since they can only spend the earnings. Of course the $600k or so that it earns is worth far more today than it will be 30 years from now, but that is semantics.

I don't doubt that the foundation ensures things get spent out of that money per his requests, but I'm curious what the stipulations are. Personally I would have made sure to include a provision that ensures the money is in addition to extra funding...something like, "BGSU hoops expenditures must equal the average of all MAC basketball spending, PLUS this money".

I'm sure some of it has gone to just paying more for coaching. That's certainly something I can get on board with, but if we're going to pay our basketball coach as much as we are, I'd like it a lot more if it were a Jans "Up and coming coach" type than Huger, "Competent and an alum!" type. But that's just me. Seems like football has mostly always been ok hiring coaches who would see the BG job as a stepping stone. Basketball we've basically just settled for whatever we could get (outside of Jans) for the past 20 years.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby guest44 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:39 am

It won't last forever because coaching salaries & bonuses increase at such ridiculous rates, that the coach after Huger will be paid atleast triple what Orr was making. Meanwhile, Bowling Green hasn't participated in a real postseason since well before Frack passed. The money is being spent of uniforms, and shoes, and more & more raises for the coaches. Not on games to elevate the program. BG is spending as little as ever on that. Highlighted by the game to honor him being a conference game determined by the MAC.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:18 pm

guest44 wrote:It won't last forever because coaching salaries & bonuses increase at such ridiculous rates, that the coach after Huger will be paid atleast triple what Orr was making. Meanwhile, Bowling Green hasn't participated in a real postseason since well before Frack passed. The money is being spent of uniforms, and shoes, and more & more raises for the coaches. Not on games to elevate the program. BG is spending as little as ever on that. Highlighted by the game to honor him being a conference game determined by the MAC.

These types of salary increases can't go on much longer, because programs simply can't afford it. If these costs do escalate as you describe, many, many mid-major schools will be doing away with a lot more sports than baseball. We may end up with football and basketball (possibly hockey) and nothing else on the men's side. We're close to that now. And if it really gets bad, hockey will be on the chopping block, too.

Edited to add: If it does get bad like this and more men's sports are on the chopping block, then some women's teams may also get eliminated -- because of Title IX.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby zete » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:18 am

...... so what happens if the MAC loses MACtion in November?
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:32 am

zete wrote:...... so what happens if the MAC loses MACtion in November?

Just about any further revenue losses at this point would be almost catastrophic for some university athletic programs. A lot of MAC schools, including BG, are walking a very fine line right now (financially).
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:09 pm

Not sure how much BASKETBALL got into football thread. #-o
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:29 pm

Class of 61 wrote:Not sure how much BASKETBALL got into football thread. #-o

It's all connected because of the financial shortcomings that so many schools are facing right now. BG just announced that baseball has been reinstated for at least 3 years because a group of alums and former players raised $1.5 million ($500,000 per year) to keep it. Beyond that, nobody knows for certain. I'm hoping they can continue raising enough money to fully endow the program. That would also take pressure off the university and money that would have gone for baseball can be used elsewhere. That said, I do not trust this Board of Trustees.
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:09 pm

I'm working up in Adrian these days. I love how Adrian College does sports. They're DIII...they don't do athletic scholarships, but they do merit scholarships. The students pay for their sports with tuition $$$. They have multiple men's and women hockey teams...women's wrestling...football...bass fishing..all sorts of stuff. And a nicer baseball stadium than we have.

And there's like five places in town you can legally buy weed...What a Country!!!
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby bgbill » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:21 am

Flipper wrote:I'm working up in Adrian these days. I love how Adrian College does sports. They're DIII...they don't do athletic scholarships, but they do merit scholarships. The students pay for their sports with tuition $$$. They have multiple men's and women hockey teams...women's wrestling...football...bass fishing..all sorts of stuff. And a nicer baseball stadium than we have.

And there's like five places in town you can legally buy weed...What a Country!!!

And it's only $50K a year for tuition, room and meals (minus whatever "financial aid" is merited). And the coaches are reviewed on their ability to recruit customers.
All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds.
bgbill
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:08 am

A relative used to teach there a couple of years back...after scholarships and other forms of aid, the average for one year is about 30k incl room and board. It's a fairly highly regarded private Liberal arts school

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ad ... l-rankings

So far as the coaches being evaluated..in part...based on the number of kids they can sell on coming to the school, they make no bones about athletics and the tuition and fees generated by them being a part of the business model. That seems like an inherently more honest approach than what BG and the rest of the MAC does. MAC schools disclose what they need to re fee distributions to sports, but it's not like they spell that out clearly. It's not like the breakdown of where those fees go appears on the tuition statement.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Previous

Return to Football