Akron 100/1
Bowling Green 300/1
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Vegas odds to win the MAC

Postby Schadenfreude » Tue May 12, 2020 9:22 am

Surprised the odds are so high for Bowling Green when compared to Akron.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller

Postby drumstix2388 » Tue May 12, 2020 12:26 pm

Hell, I might put $10 on BG just to let it ride.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Tue May 12, 2020 12:39 pm

I am stunned Ohio is so high and just as stunned they're the betting favorite. OU was a disappointment last year and has to replace a great QB.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Tue May 12, 2020 1:01 pm

Curious what the pre season odds were last year? See how close they were.....

We will be a different team with a QB this year.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Beaker » Tue May 12, 2020 1:22 pm

Ohio as 2-1 seems to be more about the weakness of conference overall, than about their strength. That's very high odds for a team that's losing their 3 year starting QB. I'll agree that they probably have about the best shot, but 2-1 is overstating it.

Neither have a shot, of course, but to say that Akron is 3 times as likely as BG is another head-scratcher.

I would have thought that since money is actually on the line, the folks putting out these odds would put more research into it than the publications that make their pre-season predictions. Maybe not.
Beaker
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Tue May 12, 2020 5:00 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:Hell, I might put $10 on BG just to let it ride.

Tempting given those ridiculously high odds, but I wonder if Eastern Michigan is a better play at 80:1.
Schadenfreude

Postby BGSU33 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:08 pm

MarkL wrote:I am stunned Ohio is so high and just as stunned they're the betting favorite. OU was a disappointment last year and has to replace a great QB.

I'm not. Since BG fell from its pedestal, Ohio has basically been the pick to win it year after year after year. OU has arguably been the best team in the MAC the last three years, but stubbed its toe each year in a game that cost them. As for losing Nathan Rourke, the Bobcats are replacing him with his brother, Kurtis, who the Ohio coaches think is going to be ever better than Nathan was. He played sparingly at the end of the BG game last year and we couldn't stop him either. Then again, we couldn't stop anything Ohio did that game, or for the last 5 years for that matter. Clawson said BG wouldn't win the East until it could beat Ohio. When we finally could - and did - we won two MAC titles in three years. Fast forward to now and Loeffler said the same thing after the Ohio game last season. Aside from Akron, BG has a ton of work to before it beats anyone in the East again. But we won't see the light of day in the MAC Championship again until we can beat Ohio again. And that's not happening any time soon.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby threestooges » Tue May 12, 2020 10:24 pm

BGSU33 wrote:
MarkL wrote:I am stunned Ohio is so high and just as stunned they're the betting favorite. OU was a disappointment last year and has to replace a great QB.

I'm not. Since BG fell from its pedestal, Ohio has basically been the pick to win it year after year after year. OU has arguably been the best team in the MAC the last three years, but stubbed its toe each year in a game that cost them. As for losing Nathan Rourke, the Bobcats are replacing him with his brother, Kurtis, who the Ohio coaches think is going to be ever better than Nathan was. He played sparingly at the end of the BG game last year and we couldn't stop him either. Then again, we couldn't stop anything Ohio did that game, or for the last 5 years for that matter. Clawson said BG wouldn't win the East until it could beat Ohio. When we finally could - and did - we won two MAC titles in three years. Fast forward to now and Loeffler said the same thing after the Ohio game last season. Aside from Akron, BG has a ton of work to before it beats anyone in the East again. But we won't see the light of day in the MAC Championship again until we can beat Ohio again. And that's not happening any time soon.

I'm not stunned that Ohio is picked to win it -- the MAC is down in football right now and SOMEONE has to win it. But, I'm stunned that Ohio is 2/1. If they were the league favorite at 3/1 or even 4/1 or 5/1, it would make more sense to me. Also, I'm not a betting man, but I agree with the earlier post that it's very tempting to put a few bucks on Eastern Michigan at 80/1. Hopefully there's a season & we get to see how this all plays out.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Tue May 12, 2020 10:37 pm

I'll have a season preview up soon. And I agree with the notion on putting some cash on EMU. They're a QB away from being a legit contender in the west.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Wed May 13, 2020 7:44 am

I’d put some money on someone but that would basically be punishing myself.

I’d have to occasionally watch a bunch of untalented teams that look like they aren’t allowed to practice between games.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby TommyG » Wed May 13, 2020 7:48 am

MarkL wrote:I'll have a season preview up soon. And I agree with the notion on putting some cash on EMU. They're a QB away from being a legit contender in the west.

Please use that time to put together an instructional video for BG Football on your bench press technique. We’re good on the preview.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby threestooges » Wed May 13, 2020 9:25 am

TommyG wrote:{Redacted out of respect for the many people who have muted you}

You make some good points. I am intrigued by your ideas & wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
threestooges
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tswam » Wed May 13, 2020 9:39 am

The last time Ohio won a MAC football championship came 8 months after BG won their last last MAC basketball championship.
Tswam
Chick
Chick

Postby Flipper » Wed May 13, 2020 10:13 am

I think we're going to be waaaaaay better than most people think. I used to bench 300 for sets of 12...can I be on the bench panel?
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Next

Return to Football