1997 - Bowling Green vs. Marshall (video)

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

1997 - Bowling Green vs. Marshall (video)

Postby BowlingGreen80 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:57 pm

Just saw this on Youtube...BG vs. Randy Moss and Chad Pennington.

Nice blast from the past, quite the crowd at Marshall as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUUYx5KR5OM

Enjoy during your Covid-19 free time!
BowlingGreen80
Egg
Egg

Re: 1997 - Bowling Green vs. Marshall (video)

Postby zete » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:56 pm

They say Marshall cheated a lot during those glory years, but man, were they good. Top 15 in the county at least one of those seasons. Their fans were CRAZY about them......... \:D/ Don't hear much about them anymore.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby zete » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:32 am

They had TWO First round NFL draft pick and a third round pick on that team - Pennington, Moss and Doug Chapman. John Grace, a linebacker and another from same team was a MVP in the CFL. Marshall was able to play on the national stage during the time period and hold their own. They were probably better than the NIU team that went to the Orange Bowl and the WMU team that played in the Cotton Bowl. I recall the Motor City game when they man handled BYU.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:49 pm

zete wrote:They say Marshall cheated a lot during those glory years, but man, were they good. Top 15 in the county at least one of those seasons. Their fans were CRAZY about them......... \:D/ Don't hear much about them anymore.

There are some rumors circulating that they'd be interested in returning to the MAC. I would enjoy that. It was a lot of fun having them around.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby Flipper » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:03 am

Loved that game in...I think it was 98...when they came in unbeaten and ranked and got destroyed. Also loved that...2004?...game where we laid a terrible beating on them as they were headed out the door. Beat them by 30 or more and took a knee three times inside their five in the final minute and a half.I

Wouldn't mind having them back at all....
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby zete » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:46 am

Marshall was the football MAC doormat yearly when the league consisted of seven teams. I don't think they ever seriously contended during the 1960s.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:12 pm

I liked having Marshall in the MAC as well. And not only for football, I liked the fit for basketball too. Marshall falls into the geographical footprint of the MAC and has a built-in rival with Ohio (the two have continued to play football and basketball after Marshall left). It was a good fit IMO. What I don't want to see again is bringing in affiliate members in football only. Been there, done that, didn't like it. Either you're with us (the MAC) or you're not. It drove me nuts watching the MAC cater to its affiliate members while displacing its core members - like shuffling BG between divisions to accommodate a football team from frickin' ORLANDO, FLORIDA!!! (don't get me started)..... It seems like the MAC has learned from this with the message it delivered to UMass. But you never know.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:42 pm

Agree that...broadly speaking..affiliate memberships in "front door" sports send a poor message. In the case of UCF...I think that move was motivated by the desire to expand recruiting territories more deeply into FL and it was also a concession to Marshall who wanted a more Southern tilt for their program.

UMass made little sense...
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Return to Football