Moving to the MAC

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Moving to the MAC

Postby LSUinFindlay » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:36 am

Happy New Year, Falcons!

Sometime in March, most likely, my wife and I'll be moving to Findlay from Louisiana for what should be 2-3 years there. I am a huge CFB fan, and have always had great respect for the MAC, so to say that 2020 MACtion is in my future would be an extreme understatement.

I need to add them up, but I think I have been to ~63 stadiums (that were hosting college football games - not just empty stadium visits). Remind me to tell y'all about my 29 game trip in 2011 after the Space Shuttle program ended and I was laid off from the Johnson Space Center. But those stories are for later in this loooong upcoming off-season.

I like tailgating as much as the games, so I'm hoping to meet a few of you fine folks on Saturdays (and/or Tuesdays/Wednesdays) in Bowling Green on your lovely campus. My one MAC stadium I have been to was actually a Falcon win on Tuesday in November 2009 or 2010 in Buffalo.

Anyway, my team has one more game a week from tonight, so I may be off and on here over the next few days... but you'll see plenty of me soon... if y'all will have me.

Geaux Falcons!
JP
LSU Mech Engr '98
LSUinFindlay
Egg
Egg

Re: Moving to the MAC

Postby drumstix2388 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:23 am

Welcome, JP! You'll love coming to the games, but make sure you bundle up for those mid-week ones. Definitely a different environment than Baton Rouge, but a great one nonetheless.

Also, make sure you check out a basketball game at the University of Findlay at some point! They are a D2 powerhouse and when they are winning, they sell out their little 900 seat gym and it gets LOUD in there.

I'm in Tennessee so I rarely make it up to more than one game a year, but a lot of the folks on this board are diehards who you'll find at every event. Good luck against Clemson!

- Billy
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:51 am

Welcome JP. Hopefully your move with Marathon works out and you can enjoy some MACtion.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Siborg » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:23 pm

As far as visiting a number of stadiums. Findlay/BG are in the middle of many colleges, not just the MAC. Notre Dame as well as many Big 10 teams are close by. MAC is primarily a bus league in that the teams can ride buses to most games. NIU vs Buffalo might be an exception.

Check out some BG hockey while you are around.

The biggest obstacle for you will be weather. Wind, rain, fog, cold, snow and did I say wind. Reminds me of an old saying.....close you ears if you are offended easily.

"BG is windy because Toledo blows from the north and Miami sucks from the south".
Siborg
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Class of 61 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:39 pm

JP, welcome to the nest! As the Falcon resident “ senior citizen”, I can say this group is a most WELCOMING bunch of Falcon Fanatics. They even let me in 20 yrs ago or so!
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tech2000 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:42 am

Welcome to BG. My father in law and that side of my wife's family are from baton rouge and LSU alumni. In order to keep peace in the family I had to become one. Lol I've actually done shrimp boil and jambalaya tailgating.
Tech2000
Chick
Chick

Postby MarkL » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:13 am

Welcome! NW Ohio is a great place to call home and I miss it dearly. Living as far as I do, it is one trip back to BG a year for me and family these days.

Lots of good food in both Findlay and Bowling Green. I recomend Polleyeyes, a local campus dive for breadsticks and pizza in BG. They opened up a location in Findlay too. My wife (not a Falcon herself) won't let us visit NW Ohio without a Polleyes stop. Also Easy Street Cafe in BG and Wilson's in Findlay (aka the inspiration for Wendy's). And an awesome ice cream place in Findlay called Dietz's.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby footballguy51 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:26 am

MarkL wrote:Welcome! NW Ohio is a great place to call home and I miss it dearly. Living as far as I do, it is one trip back to BG a year for me and family these days.

Lots of good food in both Findlay and Bowling Green. I recomend Polleyeyes, a local campus dive for breadsticks and pizza in BG. They opened up a location in Findlay too. My wife (not a Falcon herself) won't let us visit NW Ohio without a Polleyes stop. Also Easy Street Cafe in BG and Wilson's in Findlay (aka the inspiration for Wendy's). And an awesome ice cream place in Findlay called Dietz's.

Dietsch, not Dietz.

If we're going to talk food options in Findlay, I'm partial to Beer Barrel and Steve's Dakota Grill.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:06 am

MarkL wrote:..... Wilson's in Findlay (aka the inspiration for Wendy's). .....

You spelled Kewpee wrong, and it's in Lima.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGFan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:40 pm

pdt1081 wrote:
MarkL wrote:..... Wilson's in Findlay (aka the inspiration for Wendy's). .....

You spelled Kewpee wrong, and it's in Lima.

Way back when, Kewpee in Lima was owned by Wilson's.
BGFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGFan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:42 pm

footballguy51 wrote:
MarkL wrote:Welcome! NW Ohio is a great place to call home and I miss it dearly. Living as far as I do, it is one trip back to BG a year for me and family these days.

Dietsch, not Dietz.

If we're going to talk food options in Findlay, I'm partial to Beer Barrel and Steve's Dakota Grill.

For some unknown reason, almost everyone in Findlay pronounces it wrong. I know because I asked the owner and they have no idea how or why it started.
BGFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby zete » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:23 am

EMU is not so far away either. They have a nice complex for football and basketball on campus. Also WMU in Kalamazoo is a nice trip. Toledo, a team we kicked the crap out of this year, is right up the street.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby LSUinFindlay » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:35 am

Thanks for all of the kind welcomes and great tips. I am going to make a list and attend to many or all of the suggestions above. Things are starting to point to a late-February move, give or take.

A bit of serendipity rolled my way last week, the day after I posted the original message... a face-value ticket to the National Championship was offered to me, as well as a few other items that needed to fall my way for me to make it to New Orleans. As if that wasn't enough, a post-game field pass fell into my lap as a courtesy from some really good folks who work for LSU Football, who wanted me to experience it... please ask me about all that at a tailgate this Autumn.

When do the MAC schedules come out? I've already started to make my Excel spreadsheet cross-referencing all of the MAC and B1G schedules within a three hour drive of Findlay.. which is a lot of schools! I am thinking they will be announced in mid-March, perhaps?

Thanks again,
JP
LSUinFindlay
Egg
Egg

Postby mbenecke » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:03 pm

It's usually February. I'm keeping my eye on it, and it'll be posted here on the day it gets announced.

I didn't say anything above, so I'll continue the pleasant train - welcome! You're gonna love Northwest Ohio.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:35 am

LSUinFindlay wrote:Happy New Year, Falcons!

Sometime in March, most likely, my wife and I'll be moving to Findlay from Louisiana for what should be 2-3 years there. I am a huge CFB fan, and have always had great respect for the MAC, so to say that 2020 MACtion is in my future would be an extreme understatement.

I need to add them up, but I think I have been to ~63 stadiums (that were hosting college football games - not just empty stadium visits). Remind me to tell y'all about my 29 game trip in 2011 after the Space Shuttle program ended and I was laid off from the Johnson Space Center. But those stories are for later in this loooong upcoming off-season.

I like tailgating as much as the games, so I'm hoping to meet a few of you fine folks on Saturdays (and/or Tuesdays/Wednesdays) in Bowling Green on your lovely campus. My one MAC stadium I have been to was actually a Falcon win on Tuesday in November 2009 or 2010 in Buffalo.

Anyway, my team has one more game a week from tonight, so I may be off and on here over the next few days... but you'll see plenty of me soon... if y'all will have me.

Geaux Falcons!
JP
LSU Mech Engr '98

Welcome to the board and to Ohio when you get there. I too am a huge college football fan. Check that, I'm a huge fan of college football, basketball and colleges and universities (the campuses and the towns and cities they reside in) in general. I've actually been to 129 out of the 130 FBS stadiums and universities. The only campus and stadium I haven't been to is Hawaii. I've been to games in probably half of them but my goal was to see/tour them all. What started out as a pipe dream has become one stop away from a reality, I love doing it, and in fact, I've since started doing the FCS schools now as well. I completed the Ivy League (one of my favorite conferences at any level to see - such outstanding universities) and have now been to about 60 of the FCS stadiums and universities as well. I've actually been to LSU four times. My first visit to Baton Rouge was back in 2000 for a three-game series vs LSU in baseball (the Virginia vs LSU series) at the old Alex Box Stadium. It was a helluva college baseball environment. The new/current baseball stadium is fantastic, but there's something about the old place that I liked a little more despite the lack of all the glamour the new one features. I was also at a basketball game at LSU about five years ago in the PMAC. BG played at LSU this year in hoops but I couldn't make the trip down. I have also been inside the old Coliseum twice. Pretty cool to envision what it would have been like to see a game in the old barn with Pistol Pete running the floor. Funny enough, I currently live in the same town as a teammate of Pistol Pete, his name in Bob Lang, and he assisted Pete on his record setting basket. I see him around town every now and again and we always talk LSU hoops, although when I saw him a few weeks ago, the conversation was mainly about LSU football for good reason. I have been to Tiger Stadium three different times: in 2000 for the first time, around 2012 before the recent south end zone expansion, and I was there again this past summer of 2019 to see it before this magical season got started. I always enjoy walking around the campus, the Mounds, the Parade Ground and the Mike the Tiger habitat are a few of my favorite stops. I spent more time checking out downtown Baton Rouge this past visit and one of my favorite places to visit in the nearby area is Oak Alley Plantation. Beautiful place! Anyway, welcome again and hopefully BG will get back on track in football during your stay. Things have been very bleak the past four years to say the least. Hopefully we can turn the corner, and soon.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Football