Re: Early Signing Day

Postby mbenecke » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:19 pm

BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:57 pm

The Arkansas trio of RB's Jay Burns and Torrance Farmer and DB JaJuan Boyd were the three I counted as not signing. Not sure where things stand with them.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:33 pm

BGSU33 wrote:The Arkansas trio of RB's Jay Burns and Torrance Farmer and DB JaJuan Boyd were the three I counted as not signing. Not sure where things stand with them.

On Burns' Twitter feed, he shows an offer from Arkansas Tech dated December 5th. BG is still listed in his bio. Either BG backed out, he backed out, or he could possibly be a PWO.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby fredthefalcon » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:34 pm

roguewarrior wrote:This class looks low on potential knuckleheads. Lots of offers from Army, Navy, AF, and academic oriented schools. Need a good ACT and grades just for an offer from there. Coach Reportedly made two parent families and Captains a priority. Even if they are not all studs on the field, good citizens and focused workers move the program forward, where we know the the opposite destroys it. We are much better today than yesterday.

I would hope that having two parents was not the priority you say for that is discrimination. If Loeffler indicates that in his presser it will raise eyebrows. Let me see who has a predominance of one parent families? Oh yeah generally minority and less affluent students.
fredthefalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:39 pm

Nick P from The Blade told me that 22 are traditional scholarships, the rest either PWOs or blueshirts.
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby truth » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:41 pm

Don't see any issue preferring kids with 2 parent homes. It is not discrimination any more than any other part of this selective process is.
insane in tha membrane
truth
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby drumstix2388 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:51 pm

fredthefalcon wrote:
roguewarrior wrote:This class looks low on potential knuckleheads. Lots of offers from Army, Navy, AF, and academic oriented schools. Need a good ACT and grades just for an offer from there. Coach Reportedly made two parent families and Captains a priority. Even if they are not all studs on the field, good citizens and focused workers move the program forward, where we know the the opposite destroys it. We are much better today than yesterday.

I would hope that having two parents was not the priority you say for that is discrimination. If Loeffler indicates that in his presser it will raise eyebrows. Let me see who has a predominance of one parent families? Oh yeah generally minority and less affluent students.

Agreed. Captains and winning traditions, I care about. Two parent homes is not a priority to have, and would exclude a number of fine people who have excelled at BG and elsewhere, as well as people I consider close friends now.
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:52 pm

jpfalcon09 wrote:Nick P from The Blade told me that 22 are traditional scholarships, the rest either PWOs or blueshirts.

I didn't think that PWOs even had to sign? Am I wrong about that?
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:00 pm

drumstix2388 wrote:
jpfalcon09 wrote:Nick P from The Blade told me that 22 are traditional scholarships, the rest either PWOs or blueshirts.

That's what I thought. His reply doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe rogue or someone else can clarify!
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby jpfalcon09 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:25 pm

Tony4BG wrote:
drumstix2388 wrote:

That's what I thought. His reply doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe rogue or someone else can clarify!

Could be three blueshirts and the two others are PWOs.
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:26 pm

Loeffler said at his press conference that McDonald, Melton, and Keller will be the three QBs for 2020. No transfers coming in. Melton is enrolling early so he'll get valuable reps in the spring. Also, six other commits will be enrolling early as well. You may see some true freshmen end up on the two deep next fall.
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:58 pm

Maybe rogue or someone else can clarify![/quote]

Could be three blueshirts and the two others are PWOs.[/quote]

Well, based on What I just read, they can’t be Blueshirts:

In order to count towards the next allotment of scholarships, blueshirts begin as walk-ons and are not brought on scholarship until after the first day of fall camp.

It’s a contrast from grayshirts, who are not permitted to enroll or play immediately out of high school.

The biggest distinction for blueshirts however, is that the rule interpretation mandates that the players in question are not recruited.

That is defined by the NCAA as not having any of the following: an official visit to the school or a letter of intent issued for the student athlete to submit.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby roguewarrior » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:01 pm

I think some of the early enrollees May count toward last years class, and I am sure at least one was a grey shirt, as of a few days ago.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby Dayons_Den » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:41 pm

Really happy with this class. Selfishly happy to sign Kinsey and Embry who attend the high school my boys would be scheduled attend here in Jacksonville. This is a talent rich area that I'm glad we are tapping in to. I was concerned we may "lose" Kinsey as their QB was a big time recruit that had been lined up to go to Florida State but flipped late to Georgia Tech. Embry is a great athlete and Kinsey has the size and ability to be a real impact WR for us.
all bowling green
Dayons_Den
aka Joe Bair's Lair
aka Joe Bair's Lair

Postby Flipper » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:46 pm

Nice looking class..

We added some guys who can make some plays on the edges...we added some serious looking strength on the lines...a big time WR or two and two pretty talented QB's. In three years when Loeffler takes the Michigan job...we'll probably look at this as the foundational class.

The very last issue he covered was the next signing period. Apparently...there's some flexibility with how you count guys that might make it possible to do some things.

One of the first things he mentions is the fact that he talked with a mentor he's had for awhile..(Lloyd Carr?) about the issues with his own processes involving things like working out and reading and writing every day that have held him back. It's not the kind of thing you would normally hear at a signing day press conference, but it was cool to gain some insight on how his mind works
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

PreviousNext

Return to Football