Finally it happened.....

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Finally it happened.....

Postby guest44 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:37 pm

The Toledo Blade went back and further detailed the obvious disaster and destruction Chris Kingston did to BGSU Football. The article has several former trustees finally willing to toss Kingston under the bus. My question is what took so long? One more question, why you still paying his hand picked crew at BGSU?
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Finally it happened.....

Postby Flipper » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:40 pm

Link?
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby zete » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:58 pm

Yes, a link would be nice.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:04 pm

guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:24 pm

That is a great article. I know I sounded like a broken record in 2017 and 2018 when I was ringing the alarm about attrition within the program. It is unfathomable some of those attrition numbers.

But also comforting that Loeffler has time on his side. The old adage of "what have you done for me lately" may someday apply but right now it does not and rightly so. And even more comforting is that Moose has this kind of patience.

I said it when Moose made the decision to let Jinks go and I'll say it again now. Our AD shows leadership and if you want to recognize it, go donate to the Falcon Club. I have upped my donations since and encourage everyone else to do the same.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:01 pm

How much of the attrition amongst Babers recruits can be attributed to the incompetence of Jinks?
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby guest44 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:25 am

A lot of attrition is due to Jinks. However, to hire Dino Babers and be expecting anything but a quick exit was foolish. BG knew what they were getting. Kingston certainly knew, he was hoping for a splash that would propel his career. Many people say Kingston himself was about to be fired. The budget was a disaster, the Jans mess, & the culture was something out of the mid 1980s, or maybe Texas. However, I don’t really believe that. I think he saw the disaster at Jinks first spring practice, and bailed because he didn’t want to hear the noise. Why else leave at that time to take a job at the company you gave every contract to. Of course he had goodwill with Learfield. BGSU basically doesn’t fire anyone unless you slap ass on camera or 20 months later than he should have Mike Jinks. If only Learfield would come in and pluck the rest of his crew, BGSU would instantly be better.

As for the article it really is too bad Kingston chose not to speak. Especially since he couldn’t stop talking or tweeting while at BGSU. Nick P certainly could have asked within the current BGSU department for comment. They were right there in the decision making.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby It's the Journey... » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:45 am

I'm surprised that two bit hack at The Bland had enough journalistic skills to write this article. I guess the blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

That said, Kingston is the root cause here. I am glad that is coming out. Jinks had his issues here, but they were not intentional and malicious as Kingston's were. I certainly hope part of his departure included instruction to never touch any part of the contract BGSU has with Learfield.

I'm not sold on Loeffler yet, time will tell.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:29 pm

MarkL wrote:That is a great article. I know I sounded like a broken record in 2017 and 2018 when I was ringing the alarm about attrition within the program. It is unfathomable some of those attrition numbers.

But also comforting that Loeffler has time on his side. The old adage of "what have you done for me lately" may someday apply but right now it does not and rightly so. And even more comforting is that Moose has this kind of patience.

I said it when Moose made the decision to let Jinks go and I'll say it again now. Our AD shows leadership and if you want to recognize it, go donate to the Falcon Club. I have upped my donations since and encourage everyone else to do the same.

Agreed. It was basically because of Moose's leadership that I decided to create the baseball scholarship a couple years ago. I have faith in his ability to turn things around...and we're already seeing it in some sports.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:09 am

“He wasn’t looking, so he didn’t have that file,” said John Harbal, a former trustee who remains close to the football program. “He had to throw a staff together, and it was a staff of inexperienced and young assistant coaches who didn’t recruit the state of Ohio. They were all from the Texas area. It took another year for them just to get to know the high school coaches.”

He may have gotten to know some coaches in NW Ohio (possibly the biggest ones) yet did not interact with local small school coaches. Your small schools are where that one gem a year in your own backyard exists that is not on the radar of anyone else. The local coaches are the ones who identify the hidden gem, who bring their teams to games, who attend games themselves and who boost your reputation. Clawson welcomed coaches at his practices and made complimentary tickets to games easy to attain. Those interactions bottomed out along with the program.

Loeffler immediately reached out and brought walk-on players from many of the small schools and interacted with their staffs. The change is good and for those who question if the program is going the right direction I believe that question has been answered. As for the heights it will climb we will have to wait. MAC championships aren't as easy to attain as it has been to fall deep in the pit.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:13 pm

Chris Kingston was a terrible hire. Yes, he was rah-rah and all about marketing (Talons Up anyone?) but he obviously had no clue when it came to managing the football program. His best hire was in men's basketball and that individual was fired for getting grabby.

I don't fault JInks for taking the job, we all would have if offered a similar position in our respective career fields.

Loeffler will get this turned around sooner rather than later and will do it the right way. He and Clawson have many parallels and I believe that blueprint is successful for BG.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Antimob » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:43 pm

The Clawson model works but the Clawson model also included JUCO's at critical positions of need like Chief Kekuewa.

It's going to be long and it's going to be painful but he shouldn't hesitate to sign a couple JUCO's in the interest of simply fielding a competitive FBS roster.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby drumstix2388 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:03 am

Antimob wrote:The Clawson model works but the Clawson model also included JUCO's at critical positions of need like Chief Kekuewa.

It's going to be long and it's going to be painful but he shouldn't hesitate to sign a couple JUCO's in the interest of simply fielding a competitive FBS roster.

I agree. You can find good, veteran leaders from JUCO's that also provide a little more depth and talent. Kamar Jorden also comes to mind as a good leader on a couple of bad, but improving teams (who has had himself a really nice career in the CFL, btw).
BG '10

Attended more games than any responsible student should have.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Football