Next opponent: Ohio State

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Next opponent: Ohio State

Postby BGSU33 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:10 pm

Let that sink in for a minute....the next time BG plays a game, it will be in the Horseshoe vs the Buckeyes on September 5, 2020. The Mike Jinks debacle started with Ohio State in the opener in 2016, I can only hope we wash it all away and start fresh after the Ohio State game in 2020. We're in the midst of the worst stretch ever in BG football history. Maybe the silver lining in having to face OSU again this soon is it will be bookend a period of time in BG football history that can't end soon enough.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Next opponent: Ohio State

Postby Flipper » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:37 am

We shouldn't even play...just come out onto the filed and go into a fetal position for 60 minutes
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby mbenecke » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:07 am

Man... I didn't even really think about this.

It will be rough. It doesn't matter at all, though. Miami lost 76-5 this year and they're in the MAC title game. So please, I'm begging everyone, don't start the #FireLoeffler stuff when we lose by a lot week 1 next season. Lol
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:09 am

They put 50 on Michigan, so there is no shame in getting beat. Our team will get to play in front of 100, 0000 people and compete against the best. Maybe individually do some great things? Also, program gets paid. I just Don’t understand when people whine about going into the lions den for a game or two per year. Some day, sometime, a BG will have a great team and knock someone off in this situation, which would catapult that program for the next 10 years. Maybe we knock off UCLA in 3 years. I get to see my kid play against all those big teams, and there is nothing better!
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby mbenecke » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:32 am

Fair points, rogue. While I'm not expecting a win (or even a close game, to be quite frank) it is pretty cool to see the orange and brown take the field in iconic stadiums like that one. It's going to be awesome to see them do battle at places like Tennessee, Minnesota, UCLA, Michigan, Penn State, Texas A&M, Arizona State, and Iowa State in the next few years. We may not win any of them, but it'll be an amazing experience for our players to tell their kids about in the future, similar to what they experienced at Notre Dame this year and Oregon last season.

As tough/frustrating as those losses can be, it's got to be an incredible feeling running out of the tunnel in those stadiums. I love the Doyt, but it's a different beast at the Big House or at Happy Valley.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:42 am

Ahhh, I remember the Brandon Harris pick 6 to take early lead! My first BG game.

I imagine OSU could drop 77 on BG again but always a great experience to play Power 5 schools and get big pay day.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Flipper » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:07 pm

Most of their team will get drafted into the NFL this spring...who knows, they might only score 45 on us
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby falconfan1999 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:27 pm

As our first game, the coaching staff should have a solid game plan in place. And that plan should be to play keep away with the football. Clock control will keep things close and allow BG to make some plays. OSU has a tremendous program. They’ve only ever lost once to an instate team. But this could be quite a chance to pull the upset. Every week is a winnable game, we shouldn’t expect or accept losses.
"It's not fast food, it's good food quickly!"
falconfan1999
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:35 pm

I'm glad we play Ohio State once in a while, but this timing sure isn't great for us.

I'm more looking forward to the Sept. 19 game at Illinois.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby mbenecke » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:40 pm

Flipper wrote:Most of their team will get drafted into the NFL this spring...who knows, they might only score 45 on us

Fields is back. We aren't going to be that lucky. Lol
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:52 pm

Considering Ohio could have scored 80 plus on us this year, ill take the paycheck from Ohio State. BG is in a place where 40 point beat downs to MAC East opponents on TV is the norm. This beat down can’t be any worse.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:58 pm

I want to qualify what I have said above with this disclaimer:

I think we have a shot to be better next year. Another full off-season of getting things together and having guys work with this strength staff will be extremely beneficial. There will be attrition, sure. And we're going to be in bad shape when it comes to numbers once again. But we have a chance to show improvement next year with the guys who will have been in the program under Loeffler with a full year under their belt.

While this game will likely be a tough one to watch, I have a feeling we could be a bit closer to winning some games next year, especially down the stretch as we grow more and more comfortable and experienced with this current staff.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:14 pm

Unfortunately OSU could score 100 on us if they desired to do so. If we tackle like we did this year, we’ll give up 75 easy.
TommyG
Chick
Chick

Postby MarkL » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:23 pm

As long as we lose by 66 or fewer it is improvement, right?
<looks up OSU scores>
Uh oh ...
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Football