Andrew Clair - Redshirt?

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Andrew Clair - Redshirt?

Postby Redwingtom » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:48 pm

I believe he only played in 4 games this year and I think you can redshirt (or apply for one) in this case.

Does anyone know the exact rules and whether he will be applying or redshirting for this past season?

Thanks.
Redwingtom
Redwingtom
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Andrew Clair - Redshirt?

Postby mbenecke » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:53 pm

He only played in 4 games, and he therefore has red shirted this season and still has 2 seasons of eligibility intact, if he chooses to use them.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:22 pm

If the COACH chooses to red shirt him, and he agrees to be red shirted.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby mbenecke » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:27 pm

Technically, sure. But by rule, he is eligible, and it would zero sense for him to not take it. Why limit your opportunities in college? He was suited up for the last 4 games this year but didn't see the field. I'm certain it was because this plan was in mind.

My "worry" with Clair is that he'll play here one more year and then grad transfer with his final year of eligibility. I certainly feel he is good enough.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:52 pm

mbenecke wrote:My "worry" with Clair is that he'll play here one more year and then grad transfer with his final year of eligibility. I certainly feel he is good enough.

With the number of losses we've had in recent years, I worry this about EVERY player anymore. I count on no one to return anymore, and IMO, it's pretty foolish to coach expecting these guys to stay four years anymore either. If a guy can play as a true, he's going to play. I'm not going to redshirt a kid only to see him bolt to another school and play there when he's a stronger, more experienced junior or senior. BG is feeling more and more like a junior college to me anymore with the mass exodus of players. Staying four years (or even five) used to be expected, it was the norm. Now it feels more like the exception.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:07 pm

mbenecke wrote:Technically, sure. But by rule, he is eligible, and it would zero sense for him to not take it. Why limit your opportunities in college? He was suited up for the last 4 games this year but didn't see the field. I'm certain it was because this plan was in mind.

My "worry" with Clair is that he'll play here one more year and then grad transfer with his final year of eligibility. I certainly feel he is good enough.

Pretty sure Clair needs surgery on his foot. Not sure how that plays into it- medical RS perhaps. If he does transfer his last year, so be it . Next man up. Can’t worry about who might not be here in two years. I think the transfer panic is overblown.... most in the portal for most teams are unwanted by the team. I haven’t been a fan un til this year, but it seems we have only lost 3 significant players....
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Chick
Chick

Postby Falconwriter » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:39 am

roguewarrior wrote:
mbenecke wrote:Technically, sure. But by rule, he is eligible, and it would zero sense for him to not take it. Why limit your opportunities in college? He was suited up for the last 4 games this year but didn't see the field. I'm certain it was because this plan was in mind.

Pretty sure Clair needs surgery on his foot. Not sure how that plays into it- medical RS perhaps. If he does transfer his last year, so be it . Next man up. Can’t worry about who might not be here in two years. I think the transfer panic is overblown.... most in the portal for most teams are unwanted by the team. I haven’t been a fan un til this year, but it seems we have only lost 3 significant players....

This has to be a regular redshirt at this point, since he has not used up all his regular eligibility -- and that's how a medical redshirt is determined. They aren't applied for until after the last season is done...then the athlete applies to the NCAA asking for another year based on all the games they've missed. So unless Clair has already used a redshirt and used up his eligibility, this one will be the type any athlete can use.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Dayons_Den » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:25 pm

roguewarrior wrote:

Although I agree there is no need to "panic" in that we have talented players and it is next man up, BUT where the panic is real is that even as folks transfer out there is still a hard cap on how many signees we can add each signing period. So even with 2 or possibly 3 full signee classes, because of departures we may still not be at the full 85 scholarship limit. THAT is why these things suck, even if it's a back up QB or 3rd string RB that likely won't play. . . . it's the fact we can't immediately replenish his scholarship.
all bowling green
Dayons_Den
aka Joe Bair's Lair
aka Joe Bair's Lair

Return to Football