Addazio fired at BC

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Addazio fired at BC

Postby guest44 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:56 pm

Well, are we sure the Boston thing wasn’t a reason BG hired Loeffler? It wasn’t because BC was ultra successful. It would be fitting if they hired McElwain.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Addazio fired at BC

Postby mbenecke » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:03 pm

Loeffler was hired because he had a vision for the rebuild and because he has been successful in turning around offenses everywhere he has been. They haven't been elite, but they have gotten better steadily at each stop.

I trust this staff. Taking shots at them in what is essentially a year 0 of the rebuild would be misguided.

We have a long way to go, and that isn't the fault of the current staff.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:08 pm

Well they blamed Babers in years 1 & 2 of Jinks. Jinks was going to turn it all around he just needed time to clean up Babers mess. In year 1 you saw obvious signs it could to get worse. Fast forward to now. It’s Jinks fault. Yet, BG just lost 3 games in a row by 40, and the program the coach came from just fired the staff. I’d say those might be red flags.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:45 pm

All kinds of ways we can look at events at BC and in BG negatively. My question is what should the athletic department do now? Fire Loeffler and buy his contract out after one year based on his previous boss being fired and going 3-9 with about 65 scholarship players with limited experience?

Love BG and proud of the tradition here but really who are we to demand immediate success. We have been very fortunate to see decent success through the years with patience. I hope we can give coaches enough time and support to avoid being labeled as a coaching graveyard.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby zete » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:21 am

guest44 wrote:Well they blamed Babers in years 1 & 2 of Jinks. Jinks was going to turn it all around he just needed time to clean up Babers mess. In year 1 you saw obvious signs it could to get worse. Fast forward to now. It’s Jinks fault. Yet, BG just lost 3 games in a row by 40, and the program the coach came from just fired the staff. I’d say those might be red flags.

It is very obvious our defense is not too motivated to play football.....is that TOTALLY Jinks' fault?

There have been long stretches of time when EMU, Kent, could not win football games. Coach after coach would be given the reigns and fail. I hate to suspect we are falling into that pattern, but we may be.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:25 am

guest44 wrote:Well they blamed Babers in years 1 & 2 of Jinks. Jinks was going to turn it all around he just needed time to clean up Babers mess. In year 1 you saw obvious signs it could to get worse. Fast forward to now. It’s Jinks fault. Yet, BG just lost 3 games in a row by 40, and the program the coach came from just fired the staff. I’d say those might be red flags.

I've always thought the whole "all Baber's fault" is nonsense and does not hold up. This mess is on Jinks. There is nothing Loeffler could have done to have a successful season and it will take some time. This is not the situation McElwain inherited at CMU where there is young talent and depth.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:37 am

It’s not the situation at CMU. But, McElwain had been a head coach, had won, and found a transfer quarterback (who is eligible) and won the MAC West. In the first year. No BG should not fire Loeffler, I more question the thought process, people making the decisions, and reasoning for Loeffler when McElwain was an hour up the road at the time. We all know the reasons BG stinks. The results are historic lows. To mediocre MAC football teams, including the one coached by McElwain. It doesn’t have to take 5 years, it happens faster all the time.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:08 am

Anyone advocating Loeffler being fired needs to have their head checked. The man knows what he needs to do and he'll be given the time to show he can do it. The MAC is mediocre enough that a good recruiting class coupled with some impact transfers can have BG back in contention for the division title.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:21 am

It will be interesting to see if any of BC's staff ends up here.

https://bceagles.com/sports/football/coaches
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby Schadenfreude » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:59 pm

MarkL wrote:

I've always thought the whole "all Baber's fault" is nonsense and does not hold up. This mess is on Jinks. There is nothing Loeffler could have done to have a successful season and it will take some time. This is not the situation McElwain inherited at CMU where there is young talent and depth.

I mostly agree with Mark. It is true that, during the first two years of Jinks, I was among those who raised the possibility that two years of Babers had left us with a talent deficit that would take time to fix. It was difficult to explain how we went from a MAC championship to letting Ohio State and Memphis hang 70-plus points on us. I held out hope that the two or three lost classes in the transition from Clawson to Babers to Jinks were the problem.

Year 3 made it clear that, whatever our thoughts on Babers, Jinks was creating an even bigger mess. So Moose did what he had to do in mid-season. And here we are.

I disagree with Mark on one point. It is not true that there was "nothing Loeffler could have done to have a successful season." Under Loeffler, the Falcons beat Toledo with what may have been the weakest squad we've had since moving up to Division I. In doing so, he significantly exceeded my expectations. Going in, I didn't think we'd win more than one or two games given how thin this roster was.

I have full confidence in Scot Loeffler.

If you go back and look, you'll find that people were snipping at Dave Clawson on this board right up until his MAC championship season. Clawson was always very clear about expectations -- that after the trip to Boise, this program was going to need a rebuild. Each year, he put the pieces in place and got it done, even as people took shots at him almost to the end.

Loeffler appears to be speaking equally clearly about expectations now. He has made it clear he is undertaking a full rebuild as well as a full culture shift. He deserves a chance to get this done, which is why we hired him in the first place.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Return to Football